Newbie with some questions

This is a discussion on Newbie with some questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, OP. Whaddya think of the gang? Us gun guys are a very tight knit group. We argue vehemently about why Glocks suck, or why ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Newbie with some questions

So, OP. Whaddya think of the gang? Us gun guys are a very tight knit group. We argue vehemently about why Glocks suck, or why Glocks are king, what cartridge is best, or worst. I expect fisticuffs would be the order of the day, everyday, if we were all thrown together. But everyone here would back up anyone here. We love our guns, and we love your guns even if we hate them. We love to voice our opinions. Welcome to the wonderful world of firearms. It will be an all-consuming passion. Glad to have you.

2. Remove Ads

+1, I will always say to get what fits you, and NOT what everyone likes.. Sure there are the popular mfg. out there, but if it doesn't work for you then what's the worth there. A safe queen might be pretty, but NOT useful.. I personally remember renting a ton, and networking with patrons at the range to shoot a few round out of X,Y pistol to get a feel for them.. This is a great way to check general reliability of said pistol , and model too.. Take your time, and don't jump into a purchase just to get a pistol..

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    1 research, research, research
    2 hold many
    3 rent the two, three or four you narrowed down too
    4 buy, then practice, practice, practice
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    So, OP. Whaddya think of the gang? Us gun guys are a very tight knit group. We argue vehemently about why Glocks suck, or why Glocks are king, what cartridge is best, or worst. I expect fisticuffs would be the order of the day, everyday, if we were all thrown together. But everyone here would back up anyone here. We love our guns, and we love your guns even if we hate them. We love to voice our opinions. Welcome to the wonderful world of firearms. It will be an all-consuming passion. Glad to have you.
    Yeah you guys have been more helpful than I could have asked for. There sure is a lot of to think and debate about when it comes to handguns, I guess thats part of the fun. I'm going to my uncles sometime next week to try out his Sig P250 and Beretta (can't remember the model ) he owns. Hopefully that will help me out. Thanks again for the help everyone, its much appreciated. I'll be sure to let everyone know what I choose when I finally decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    They are ugly as sin but I sort of have to agree as much as I don't want to.
    Here is the deal. I carried a Glock 19 in combat for 3 1\2 years, and never had a single issue with it. Wish I could say the same about the Beretta 92 and my lovely M4. I never, not a single time, NEVER EVER had a problem with my glock. Never had an issue concealing it when I was required to. Never had an issue with cleaning it. Never had an issue finding accessories for it. Never had an issue with feeding (granted, I wasn't using JHP). It was simple to operate, clean, and carry. Yes, Glocks are ugly by nature. They dont have any frills or spiffy colors. They are blocky, angular, and un-sexy. But in my humble opinion, you will not get more bang for your buck elsewhere. I love my XD and my M&P, but I carry my Glock most of the time. As a matter of fact, my SHTF go-to gun is my G30.

Honestly. Dude, get a gun that fits your hand reasonably well and works every time. My opinion is biases because I have carried a glock through the deserts of Iraq, and the mountains of Afghanistan. I have fired it in battle. I have relied upon it with my life. I have never been let down. As hideous as my Glock 26\19\36\30 are, I would take them into battle with no resevations.

Having a beautiful girlfriend or wife is great. Having a girlfriend or wife that "cleans up well", is reliable, and I depend on with my life is even better. Every one of us would pick a pretty, reliable girl over a fickle beaty queen. Fact.

Just saying... I feel like a fanboy now.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 17th, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Good luck with your decision. Shoot as many as you can before you buy.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I prefer Glocks because they are simple and reliable. I specially like striker fire pistols because of the consistent trigger pull as opposed to DA/SA (long 1st pull/very short 2nd and afterward shots). Just narrow down what the reliable brands are and select among those for the other factors, such as ergonomics, capacity, etc. Try the Glock 19. It is very popular so it should be easily available for rent at ranges.The way you can try it 1st before you buy.

Totally agree with the magazines reviews comment. I have never read a magazine review that recomended against buying a gun because it was found not to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Totally agree with the magazines reviews comment. I have never read a magazine review that recomended against buying a gun because it was found not to be reliable.
    I used to get Gun tests magazine and they would flat tell you when they didt like a gun or find it reliable.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    One thing you might do is check the ammo supply in your area & the prices. If you go with a steel framed auto you might run 500 to 1000 rounds before the darn thing runs. That can add up to a lot of cash fast. You also might consider the best training caliber out there-- the .22 long rifle. Cheap to shoot easy to shoot & Hey you'll buy one someday anyway, with a .22 on your nightstand you are far from defenceless.

Don't overlook wheel guns either reliable accurate some good prices on 'em. Something like a .357 mag. You can shoot .38 specials or .357 mags in them with a wide var. of bullet weights. Or again a .22 some makes you can swap out the cylinder & go from .22 long rifle to .22 mag.

Maybe it really dosent in the long run matter what you buy first-------------you'll buy more............

Get a gun that goes bang bang bang ..... dependable is the key. Next decide if you are going to carry the gun. If it's just a house and range gun, then go with a S & W 642 or a CZ75

I'm in the same dilemma, so after 50 years, I'm in the process of buying them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I'm in the same dilemma, so after 50 years, I'm in the process of buying them all.
    Dennis, I like the way you think!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links