Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!? - Page 2

Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; gasmitty - Yes, the 357 makes a heck of an impression.... last sunday I took the 360 to the range & did some rapid fire ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!?

gasmitty - Yes, the 357 makes a heck of an impression.... last sunday I took the 360 to the range & did some rapid fire drills with 158 gr 357 magnums from DoubleTap ammo. This was the second time in my life I watched a target get ripped out of the target hangars. Both ranges I was using the fbi targets & both ranges had the two clip bracket at the top of the target. I have never seen a target other than one shot with 357 magnum get forcibly yanked out of the bracket.

samrudolph - regarding the difference of a 357 versus a 38 out of a snubbie I will direct you to the research of Stephen Camp, may he rest in peace.

38 versus 357 Click Here

Mr. Camp was truly an authority on the Browning HP and it seemed like on darn near everything else as well...
    He used a 2.5" Model 19 and compensated by adding 50fps to the 38 results. He saw a difference of about 200 fps out of the Magnums. I will take the extra 200 fps. Mr Camp does point out the control issue with the 357 in such a small package. I will stick with my 357 and risk a sprained thumb while training. Matter of fact I think I may have sprained it this past weekend hehe

A snubbie is really a gut gun and not so much an accuracy weapon. I train at 3-7 yards & rapid fire I am maintaining Center Mass, but not keeping super tight groups.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I would stick with the .38 in the model 642. That bullet has been doing well in a snub for longer than I've been around.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Buffalo Bore makes some really good .38 loads in standard and +P.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

samrudolph - regarding the difference of a 357 versus a 38 out of a snubbie I will direct you to the research of Stephen Camp, may he rest in peace.

38 versus 357 Click Here

Mr. Camp was truly an authority on the Browning HP and it seemed like on darn near everything else as well...
    He used a 2.5" Model 19 and compensated by adding 50fps to the 38 results. He saw a difference of about 200 fps out of the Magnums. I will take the extra 200 fps. Mr Camp does point out the control issue with the 357 in such a small package. I will stick with my 357 and risk a sprained thumb while training. Matter of fact I think I may have sprained it this past weekend hehe

A snubbie is really a gut gun and not so much an accuracy weapon. I train at 3-7 yards & rapid fire I am maintaining Center Mass, but not keeping super tight groups.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, and I have seen Mr. Camp's opinion before. I believe I said before that the .357 magnum is more powerful even out of short barrels. But a 125-gr. bullet at 1200 fps in a snubby (And consulting BBTI, I don't think many loads actually get that hot, most seemed to be between 900 and 1050 fps) gives you magnum recoil for 9mm +P performance.

I am of the opinion that most modern handgun ammo performs about the same, so I'll take the more controllable .38, which has been shown to be quite effective with the right loads.
    Hakkaa päälle!

If pocket carry is the plan, then I vote for the 642

But, sooner or later, everyone needs a .357

It's just un-American not to have one
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I totally agree with the guy that says it unamerican NOT to own a 357... ha... ha... ha...

That said, I bought a 642 for carry.

Guy at the gun store that I know and trust summed it up for me this way... "Magnum rounds generate their velocity by using slower burning powder... the charge burns all the way to the muzzle, accelerating the bullet the whole way... You'll gain some power with a 357, but with a 2" barrel mostly you'll gain noise, recoil and flash and end up throwing a slug of unburned powder onto the ground in front of where you're shooting".

Your mileage may vary, but for me, a 357 mag in a lightweight snubbie would NOT be very pleasant to shoot.

I bought a Blackhawk to satisfy the requirement that I own a 357... LOL... I love both guns... I shoot them frequently and with increasing proficiency.

Sure would like to have a Ruger SP or GP 357... but that's a different gun altogether.

For the price of a 340 you can buy two 642's. Then you wouldn't need to carry a speedloader...lol...j/k. I have a 642 and a 442 and am very happy with both. I have shot a 340 with 357's and it is a formidable beast. But not something you would want to practice a lot with and in my opinion is the weapon's biggest flaw. I would rather be proficient with a less powerful weapon. The 340 was a friend of mine's and he carried it with 38 +P's.

I'm still of the opinion that the J-Frame sized revolver chambered for the .357 Magnum are more of a stunt than a serious carry piece. Yeah, the .357 Magnum will gen up a bit better velocity from bullets of the same weight as commonly fired in .38 Special but the snubs are more bark and bite than anything. If one must flirt with modern .357 Magnum ammunition performance than some of the Buffalo Bore .38 Special loads narrow the gap significantly.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have the 340 and it is not fun to shoot 357 and 38 +p is not much better. I don't think the price is worth it especially if you plan to just use 38 sp ammo in it anyway. All that aside the 340 is a very nice gun for CCW. My back up gun is the LCR in 38+p.

I would go for the 642 myself. I do love the 357 mag round but not in a lightweight snubby. I like it in a much heavier gun.
    Question Everything!

340PD is ridiculously expensive. $800 for that thing? for the price alone, go with the 442 / 642

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    The S&W is no fun to shoot 357 from. I would get the 442 if you want to shoot 38+P. If you want to shoot 357 get the Ruger LCR 357. The grip on the Ruger is a little larger so if you ware tight pants it may not work. The Ruger LCR 357 with Tamer Grip makes shooting 357 a no pain experience for me. I like shooting 357 Snubs. I can practice with this gun all I want and can handle it pretty good.

JMO, but 158gr standard pressure .38 special is plenty to down a BG; especially if you know how to use it and apply as necessary... Just saying..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    I just ordered a no-lock version of the 340 M&P.

I will probably carry .38+P in it (Buffalo Bore makes a 158gr LSWCHP that generates some serious fps heat), but got it for the X/S front night sight, the DLC coating, and the ability to chamber .357 mag, should the need arise.

For me, the cost was worth it, but I can see where some would want to stick with 442/642.
    I might just add a 442/642 to the mix, as long as S&W is making NO-LOCK versions!

I had a 642. I cant imagine shooting 357 from as light of a gun. I will admit that 38 +p was about as much as could I stand and not much of that. Also my follow up shots really suffered. I enjoyed shooting standard pressure wad cutters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links