Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!? - Page 3

Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 642 was a logical choice as I previously owned a Ruger SP101 of which kicked like mule with .357s. The 642 is light, fairly ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson 642 38 special or the Smith & Wesson 340 in 357. mag?!?!?!!?

The 642 was a logical choice as I previously owned a Ruger SP101 of which kicked like mule with .357s. The 642 is light, fairly accurate at close range and I do not feel under gunned with the .38 +P Gold Dots. My choice was the 642 and this is one gun I will not sell off. I also added the Crimson Trace grips. Carries comfortably in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster while in very loose khakis shorts or loose pants.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

642 for sure, if you really need to carry a pocket .357 Magnum, go with the 649 or 640. They handle the medium-powered Golden Sabers and DPX pretty well.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

I have a 642 and an M&P 360. I like both, the 360 has an awesome SA trigger and the sights are much better than the 642. Plus, I am a recoil junkie.

Take a look at the S&W 632-2 Pro Series

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty010203 View Post
    going to be getting one soon for backup and pocket carry. the 340 is a lot more expensive so im leaning toward the 642 but I really feel like that 357 is just a lot more powerful. I cant decide which to get. any thoughts?
    Last edited by fiddlers; November 6th, 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: s.p.

I have the 340pd.
    I got it prior to the LCR, and for some reason 642's were going for >$400 at that time. I got a great deal on it + CT grips.
    It carries unbelievably.
    I almost never shoot .357 out of it, and carry .38+p's. Even with those, two cylinders and that's it. Target .38 wadcutters are OK.
    Honestly, now with the LCR's, I keep thinking of selling it.
    But there's just something about it...
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Get two 642's for the price of one 340. One for the right coat pocket and one for the left coat pocket.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Get two 642's for the price of one 340. One for the right coat pocket and one for the left coat pocket.

Jim
    i like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post

Jim
    +1.... I like the .357 too, but outa a 1 7/8" snub I doubt if it's a game changer over the .38 +p, or even the 158gr SWC-HC rounds... Plus, having two guns is equal to 10 rounds verses 5. Check mate IMO...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I ran into a great deal on a 340 a couple of years ago and it was my carry gun for awhile. Of course the light weight was cool however the recoil, the ammo limitations re flame cutting and bullet creep, and the kiddie lock were not. I sold it and replaced it with a 642 pre-lock--a bit more manageable and less finicky, and I feel sufficiently protected with .38 "FBI loads."

LCR trigger is >>> 642/442/340 and taurus 85 trigger.

Had a 340pd, sold it after the interlock jammed up, the gun smith had to open it up (I was shooting .357 at the time). Ended up buying a 642 without the lock!!! Really side by side the weight difference isn't that much. Shooting .357's was not really fun and one could argue out of the short barrel most of the energy is lost. I would like to see some chrono numbers between .357 and .38 +p out of the 340pd. Also forget fast follow up shots with the .357. Let me tell you that 340pd was the most violent gun I have ever owned, I would rather shoot a S&W 500.

For what it's worh this is my opinion. I bought the M&P340 because I at least wanted the option of being able to shoot .357's. I don't HAVE to shoot magnums. I carry with 4 +P and the last round in the line up is a magnum. However, having said that I must also say that I got a really good deal on a used 340 that had been shot very little. Came with extra grips, all the factory stuff, and had a trigger job done on it that made it very sweet. I paid only a few bucks more than I would have paid for a 442 or a 642. I think I would have had a hard time shelling out over $750 for a new one. If I were gong to buy a new .357 snubbie I probably would look into the Ruger LCR.

I just got a LCR 357 about a week ago took it to the range and WOW! That little guy kicks HARD with 357 mags in it. I went with the 357 for the ability to shoot both 38's and 357. I like having the option and im loving that little gun. Only con is a little rattle that it makes internally kind of annoying.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    A recent live-fire class taught me that neither my primary nor alternate-carry autoloaders were completely reliable when fired from inside a coat/jacket pocket. Sure, I can get the first round off OK, but whether that slide makes it back into battery was pretty much always up to chance.

So, I decided to get a true pocket-rocket, a lightweight DA-only hammerless revolver.

After having shot the Ruger LCR and several S&Ws, I ended up with the M&P 340 mainly because it pointed the most naturally in my hands, and secondarily because its sights was among the easiest for me to pick up.

With a 158 gr. .357 Magnum load, the recoil is...er...stout. I've never been recoil-shy and have shot many of the big-caliber pistols in my past, but I think it says something when one examines my chosen carry guns, and sees that they're all 9s.

Even so, I must confess that I am still entertaining thoughts of shooting the little 340 single-handed, with Magnum loads - but honestly, given how fast I could trigger off a full cylinder of 5, sticking with 125 gr. .38 +P Speer Gold Dots, I'm pretty comfortable just staying with that, particularly considering that this gun's sole intent is to be carried in the off-side front coat/jacket pocket: so that specifically in the winter, that it is to buy enough time for me to access my primary, strong-side.

I love the little thing. Even if it does hurt to shoot Magnum out of her, it's like love bites, you know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links