daughter's bersa

This is a discussion on daughter's bersa within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MY youngest girl is of legal age and going to take the ccw class. She is a little bit of a girl and has shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daughter's bersa

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar

daughter's bersa

MY youngest girl is of legal age and going to take the ccw class. She is a little bit of a girl and has shot my taurus 85ss 38 cal. and my kahr cw9. She was not thrilled with recoil of ether for now so I tried her on a bersa 380 single stack at a store down the road and she liked it and can work the slide. Took it home broke it down to cleaned and checked it lubed it up and we then went out back to fire a few rounds. Gota say ,First time shooting one and its a cool little gun. Now gota get her some range time for her and her 380 this week before her class.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The Bersa Thunder 380 is a great little gun. Their known for their reliability. Although not the most potent caliber available in it's size. With modern defensive ammo it will do the job.
    Last edited by archer51; July 17th, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good luck. the bersa is a fine learning gun and carries well also.
    my daughter has a nice purse (took a long time shopping to find the 'right' one)
    so it fits in with her daily work style.

it looks like a ppks but at half the price and---the best part is--it works.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have a neighbor that allways liked the bersa line as a good functional pistol line and this would be the first I have handled. This one was bought, tried and traded back for something in for a 380, just lighter. I picked it up for my girl for 200.00 and I have to say i was pleased with it. For the time being it fills that gap between a .22 and something bigger. She will shot either my 38 or kahr cw9 just not comfortable with them, so for her first pistol this will work out.

archer51 I could always bought her a 13oz with 9mm or a kahr cw40 and I am sure it would have end up not being fired and her going back to her old ways of no interest in firearms. No standard non-magnum handgun loads are potent up to and including the 45acp . And even the 357 I would concederd borderline with short barreled handguns. Give me a nice 140gr ballistic tip or sst delivered around 3000fps but thats hard to do with a concealable handgun and deliver quickly. And some well placed .22lr double taps are better than some yahoo that can't hit poop quickly and affectively with his 40 or 45 i those first couple rounds. We all started somewhere.

I have fallen for the foreign blowback 380 Walther look-a-likes. My daughter has confiscated my CZ 83 as her own. That's fine. She carries it now.

I'm now waiting for my new (CZ replacement) from Bersa. It's the Thunder Plus and should be in tomorrow. Depending on the Bersa's performance, I hope to trade it and get my CZ back.

Love shooting with my kid!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Bersa Thunder is a fantastic handgun for concealed carry as it is compact, well built and affordable. Just make sure you select the best self-defensive ammo (Buffalo Bore) and then have her practice a lot. Good choice!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I have a neighbor that allways liked the bersa line as a good functional pistol line and this would be the first I have handled. This one was bought, tried and traded back for something in for a 380, just lighter. I picked it up for my girl for 200.00 and I have to say i was pleased with it. For the time being it fills that gap between a .22 and something bigger. She will shot either my 38 or kahr cw9 just not comfortable with them, so for her first pistol this will work out.

archer51 I could always bought her a 13oz with 9mm or a kahr cw40 and I am sure it would have end up not being fired and her going back to her old ways of no interest in firearms. No standard non-magnum handgun loads are potent up to and including the 45acp . And even the 357 I would concederd borderline with short barreled handguns. Give me a nice 140gr ballistic tip or sst delivered around 3000fps but thats hard to do with a concealable handgun and deliver quickly. And some well placed .22lr double taps are better than some yahoo that can't hit poop quickly and affectively with his 40 or 45 i those first couple rounds. We all started somewhere.
    Not knocking your choice of caliber for her, if that is what she is comfortable shooting and can shoot it well, then it's a good fit for her. As you said, a gun/caliber she doesn't carry, because she doesn't like shooting it, doesn't do much good.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OK friends, repeat after me. The gun you have with you is a lot better than the one in the safe. If the .380 is what she likes for now, then so be it. Just curious, have you tried a double-stacked Bersa or is that too big?
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Bersas are great guns for the price paid. Owned a UC45 nickel and loved it. Accurate and very little felt recoil. Excellent CCW. Currently have a bi-tone Firestorm 22 and it's a fun little plinker and warmup gun for new shooters. Enjoy the Bersa.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Bersa is a great firearm that dosen't get enough credit....I own a Bersa UC 9mm pro and I love it.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

I agree JohnWFD. I have had a Bersa Thunder 9 UC for several years and it is an awesome handgun. Cycles great no matter what ammo or how dirty it is. Limp wristing does not affect cycling at all. Very soft shooter. I believe the Bersa line is underappreciated, overlooked, and very well priced.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Skeeter64 So far all double stacks are to big but some things my change down the road. Remember ,she is a slight built girl and even a pistol the size of the bersa ,or my cw8 at hard to hide. So I just have to keep my mouth shut and see if she finds one of my kahrs useable to her down the road. I don;t have a true mid size weight pistol that would allow her to ger use to the recoil with. But I have a friend with couple of small XD's she can try down the road..

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    oddly, we talk of 380 as if, cause its a 'small' 9mm (9x17 vs 9x19), its recoil is light.
    rather incorrect with a fixed barrel such as the bersa, pp, ppk/s line of guns its rather 'snappy'
    the Kel-Tec p3at (later the p380) and the older colt 1903 types are delayed-blow back operated and indeed do have
    a recoil perceived as being much less than a 9mm; and for their size they tend to be considerer 'light' recoil shooters.

standard weight 380 has been 95gr. today there are to choose from 60gr--high velocity, to 110gr not as fast.
    so we have yet the light and fast group and the slow and (relatively) heavy group

having a gun comes first, than as we are always listing location of shot placement next than is the actual projectile
    accepting that you choose one that functions in the gun, next is what you shoot best--what goes where you point/aim it.
    ammo for the 380 is sometime scarce and usually priced at or above even 45acp.

if you re-load that price not only comes down ( for practice ammo) to $6.00 box of 50 but you can make
    various power levels; much like what is offered for 38 special; light-- wad cutters, medium-- semi-wads,
    normal ( factory standard)-- round nose and than the +p's and no magnum, sorry.
    so i make with bullseye ( verify with a reloading manual-Lyman's 49th is a good one of many)
    light 2.5gr than a 2.8gr for standard and a 3.1gr to replicate a SD round.

perhaps practice live fire a box a week and at home, with snap caps, an hour a week of dry fire
    it is a fine gun ( especially at the price!) and one of the easier to master.
    within 3 or 4 weeks double taps and 3" groups at 15 feet (1 round per second) should be doable.

good luck
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

When i said recoil was very light I guess I am use to 9mm's weighing in around 12 to 14 oz and this bersa is right at 20 oz so reguardless of bullet or the fact that its a recoil or delayed blowback design it feels extremly lite in the recoil department.. Enough so I had to check to be sure everthing was working right. Just my view. Now if it weighted in at 8 oz. Yes in would be different. Allready picked up a few hundred georgia arms speer hp loads for her to start working with..
    Nothing like shooting a 11oz revolver with 2 finger grip and 125gr +p loads to make you change something.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Skeeter64 So far all double stacks are to big but some things my change down the road. Remember ,she is a slight built girl and even a pistol the size of the bersa ,or my cw8 at hard to hide. So I just have to keep my mouth shut and see if she finds one of my kahrs useable to her down the road. I don;t have a true mid size weight pistol that would allow her to ger use to the recoil with. But I have a friend with couple of small XD's she can try down the road..
    I wondered if the double stack would be too big. Just be glad that she is willing to carry something. An all steel 38 might not be too unpleasant to shoot if you run across one of those.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links