.45acp is more powerful than a .357mag?

This is a discussion on .45acp is more powerful than a .357mag? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just watched a YT vid on the Ruger Sp101 3" (I'm wanting one pretty bad), it was by Midway USA. And on their "One ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .45acp is more powerful than a .357mag?

I just watched a YT vid on the Ruger Sp101 3" (I'm wanting one pretty bad), it was by Midway USA. And on their "One shot stop" board the .357mag had the same rating as a .40 S&W 180gr and .45acp but rated the .45acp +p 185gr and I think 165gr +p .40 S&W to be more powerful than the .357mag 125gr. Now I dont believe in any handgun having a "One shot stop" cartridge but I would think that the .357mag would whip any .40 S&W or .45acp. I am far from a ballistic expert but anybody agree with this?
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Keep in mind I have a whole bunch of calibers including .40 S&W and the .45acp, I dont own a .357mag yet. So I'm not partial to one of my guns or calibers. Logic just tells me that a .357mag is a bad son-of-a-gun.

Caliber wars, Chapter 127...

Over the course of modern handgun history - say from post-WWII days - the .357 magnum in 125 grain JHP configuration probably has the best record in police use in terms of fight-stopping ability. However, with wheelguns out of mainstream cop use for nearly a generation now, the auto pistol calibers have caught up and the .40 S&W is the most commonly used service round in the US today. Ergo, more chances for that round to do well. And the performance of the .45 ACP, even in FMJ, is nearly legendary. But fundamentally, the differences in downrange performance among the three loads mentioned isn't big enough to write home about... it's almost splitting hairs. Really comes down to how you define "powerful" and "one shot stop."

FYI, you mention a .40 +P round. Note that there is no SAAMI spec for +P pressure in .40 S&W, although Buffalo Bore apparently markets a .40 +P.
    Diddle likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

They do the same thing in different ways. The 357 uses speed to create energy for penetration and proper bullet expansion. The 45 doesnt need speed, it uses its weight to "bore" a straight line hole to where it needs to be, and is large enough in diameter that expansion is not needed. Like mentioned above, there is no saami spec for 40+p.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Here we go again...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love a good caliber war....its the only war I know where they all win.
    mr.stuart and Philly Boy like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Just think about the power on tap, if you carried them together
    bigmacque and zeppelin03 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

LOL, I certainly wasnt trying to start a caliber war! .40 S&W +p was obviously a mistake on my part. I certainly dont think that one caliber is better than another, just one is better than another for the shooter to determine. I guess I just always kinda thought that the .357mag and .44mag were the end all be all in hand guns and let the others bicker it out! Its kinda like "what is better, the 9mm/.40/.45, but there was no second guessing the magnum calibers. i guess I'm wrong........AGAIN! :)

retsupt99 pass the popcorn!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Administrator
    I really LIKE Larry Potterfield from MIDWAYUSA. He is a dard good man in so many ways.
    But, I always chuckle a bit when he "rates" handgun KNOCK DOWN POWER.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    My main carry guns are 1911's in .45 acp. But I also own a 3 inch Sp101 .357 mag & shoot it often. I love it. I call it my "town & country" gun, thats what I carry when upland & waterfowl hunting. So when commuting to & from hunting area's I still have a very good ccw.

Which is more powefull? Look at it this way, in my state (kansas) the .357 mag is a legal deer round, the .40 S&W & .45 ACP are not. Yes my SP 101 goes deer hunting with me not to hunt deer with but so I can have a legal ccw with me. However a close range broadside lung shot with my Fed. 158 grain hydra-shocks would not be out of the question.

When I'm bumbing down a rocky mountain trail the little Ruger most always gets the nod. Lightweight reliable & powerfull & very accurate from such a small package.

As for the manstopper debate, whether .9mm .40 .45 10 mm .38 .41 mag .44 mag .45 colt or .357 they all will work if you make center hits.

Funny you mention that at this time. I have watermelons and cantaloupes coming out of my ears from my garden and can't even give them away, so! A couple days ago I thought I would have some fun and give some of the remains to my chickens as a treat. I was shooting (2) .45 Kimbers and my S&W 686 plus .357 magnum. Shooting HP ammunition for best effect. Shot 16 HP self defense rounds with the Kimbers, and 7 rounds with my .357. After all, PD HP rounds are expensive and the chickens can eat only so much! My results were unexpected! The .45's did more damage than the .357's. Made tomato juice out of a few tomatoes for some lucky ants.

Disclaimer:This test was accomplished on an amature closed circuit course. Your test results may vary. Watermelon, cantaloup and tomatoes were dispatched humanely and I/A/W applicable laws of the sovereign nation of Dennis845. All fruits and veggies remain the sole property of the ants they feed. Any commentary of the author could be construed as absolute BS or actual fact.
    Philly Boy, bigdog44 and tbrenke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Funny you mention that at this time. I have watermelons and cantaloupes coming out of my ears from my garden and can't even give them away, so! A couple days ago I thought I would have some fun and give some of the remains to my chickens as a treat. I was shooting (2) .45 Kimbers and my S&W 686 plus .357 magnum. Shooting HP ammunition for best effect. Shot 16 HP self defense rounds with the Kimbers, and 7 rounds with my .357. After all, PD HP rounds are expensive and the chickens can eat only so much! My results were unexpected! The .45's did more damage than the .357's. Made tomato juice out of a few tomatoes for some lucky ants.

Disclaimer:This test was accomplished on an amature closed circuit course. Your test results may vary. Watermelon, cantaloup and tomatoes were dispatched humanely and I/A/W applicable laws of the sovereign nation of Dennis845. All fruits and veggies remain the sole property of the ants they feed. Any commentary of the author could be construed as absolute BS or actual fact.
    LOL, thats good stuff! I love Dennis the Menace! Too bad the kids now a days watch crap on TV. We're all DOOMED!

I always carry a .45 ACP as a backup for one of my two .380's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    .40 S&W +p was obviously a mistake on my part.
    - I'm sure it was a typo. You meant 10mm. :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links