Looking at Taurus PT145

This is a discussion on Looking at Taurus PT145 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to acquire a PT145 within the next year.....looking for input from anyone who has knowledge on this pistols. Especially those who own one. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Taurus PT145

Looking at Taurus PT145

Looking to acquire a PT145 within the next year.....looking for input from anyone who has knowledge on this pistols. Especially those who own one. Any feedback would be appreciated....
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I had an earlier model -not sure which "generation"-nothing but problems-FTF,FTE - and Taurus's CS only made it worse.

I owned one worked fine at !st. Then started having feeding problems. After sending it back 3 times and it still not being fixed i trade it.Have owned several taurus's in the past but i learned my lesson with thier customer service. Will never buy one again.

One of my first guns, didn't like it...moved on to better firearms...that was years ago.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I owned and carried a PT145 for about 3 months and.... I liked it... for the most part.

Things I liked
    - Good trigger
    - 10+1 of .45 is a lot of firepower
    - Compact and lightweight for a double stack .45
    - Came with Heine straight 8 sights which I really liked
    - Soft shooting

Things I didn't like
    - I got 1 bad mag with it and getting Taurus to replace it was like trying to teach a cat to fly a kite
    - It has a external safety and I decided I didn't like eternal Safeties.
    - It has that stupid key/lock
    - Taurus customer service is horrible

My suggestion - If you can afford it (or save for a couple months) buy a Glock 30. If cost is a motivating factor for you looking at the 145 and your not opposed to a single stack take a look at a Kahr CW45. If the previous to things I mentioned aren't a possibility then I say go for the PT145. The third gens and later (unless your buying used your getting a third gen) Are decent guns. It wouldn't be my first choice but it wouldn't be my last either.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thanks for all the replies so far....I will check out the Kahr...and maybe even the bersa UC since I already have the UC in 9mm.....trying to keep the weight down though

I have a 3rd gen PT111, have never had any issues out of it. It has been a great gun, eats everything that I put into it. One of the other members on this forum whom I know has the PT145, I believe it is a 2nd gen, and hasn't had any problems out of it that I know of.

It looks like the price on them has started to climb recently. As the price gets closer to some of the other guns the PT series becomes less a less desireable option in my opinion. Don't take this as trying to steer you away from Taurus, as I have 3 of them and all are good guns, never had any trouble out of them. But when I bought them they were well under the price point of other similar options.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I have a PT-145 Mil Pro and have put a couple thousand rounds down range. No problems to report and this is one of my favorite carry guns. It is easy to conceal, has twice +1 the capacity of my snubbies (and conceals as well) and it shoots well. The only mod I have done is to put night sights on it, I went with the 3 dot pattern from Heinie.

If I was going to get rid of it, I would move to the Glock 30 to fill the hole in my carry line up. The dimensions are similar, but I prefer the thumb safety on the Glock.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    PT145 is my EDC. I have no reservation that mine will perform as advertised if and when I need it. As long as you get one of recent manufacture (hard to find one NIB that isn't) you should be fine. If you want to doublecheck, taurususa.com has a SN feature that will verify date of 'birth.' As usual for any defensive firearm, make sure you put it through it's paces, give it a few hundred rounds at the range using a variety of ammo, and test the ammo you will be carrying, before you trust your life to it. It's not unusual to find a firearm that works well or poorly with a specific type of ammo.

For a more in-depth discussion look over at the Taurus lovers and haters club at www.taurusarmed.net
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I've got a PT140 Mil Pro and it's a great little gun. I'm about 500 rounds into it with one FTE. That was on the first mag, which was filled with anonymous reloads. I switched over to factory ammo and haven't had a hiccup to date. It eats up BVAC, Aguila, and Gold Dots on a regular basis.

I have a PT145. The plastic dust cover on the back of the slide broke. I would call once a week to check on my part. It took them a month and several different people in CS to actually order the part and log my calls. Every time I called they would say noting has been ordered and they have no record of my previous calls. After six months of waiting after it was finally ordered they sent a dust cover from a different gun that fit but was too long. They said the other one is back ordered and that was a year ago.

The gun shoots well for me but I wouldn't use it as a CCW. The exit port is about the same size as a bullet and if you have a jam it's hard to clear the whole bullet out without problems. If the gun shoots and it just extracts the shell then there is plenty of room for just the shell to exit but not enough for a whole bullet. Because of this I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I have a jam that I can't quickly clear.

I wouldn't be my life on this gun.

I carry an XD9SC and my wife carries an XD40sc. These are great small compact gun you might want to look into.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

I had a gen 3 mill pro pt145 and have only had a couple issues i think it was my wife limp wristing it but cant say for sure.

I personally never had any problems, i sold it to pay for some upgrades on my glock.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    From the 5-6 that have came and went through my hands I would have to say that 90% of them are really ok pieces and will serve you well. there is a 10% chance that you will get a problematic one though.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Thanks for all the input...... I will be looking at the Glock 36 also...but I will be loosing a few rounds on the Taurus

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    Thanks for all the input...... I will be looking at the Glock 36 also...but I will be loosing a few rounds on the Taurus
    There's your answer right there...the Glock-36!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links