Some more thoughts on the Glock 19

This is a discussion on Some more thoughts on the Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those of you that follow my posts know that my luck with automatics is pretty terrible. I had been though quite a few and had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Some more thoughts on the Glock 19

Those of you that follow my posts know that my luck with automatics is pretty terrible. I had been though quite a few and had quite a few failures. This led me to the Ruger SP-101 as a EDC that I have been (and still am) quite happy with. I recently purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19 to fill a few roles that I felt the SP-101 did not fill as well as I would like. Mainly I wanted something with a bit higher capacity for travelling to higher threat level areas. I also wanted something to shoot in rifle/pistol competitions as well as something for night stand duty. When I first got the G19 I planned on carrying it for a bit just to get the feel for it. I didn’t purchase it to replace my EDC, I just wanted something fill in for it if I felt the situation warranted it. But then something strange began to happen. I really liked carrying the G19…

There’s a couple of different reasons why I think I really like carrying the G19 now as opposed to when I first tried it a few years back. First I think is holster and belt choice. When I first tried the G19 “back in the day” I didn’t have a gun belt and I had not found a holster that really worked for me that I thought was comfortable. For me, the flat back holster like the M-Tac and the CBST are the only way to go. I’ve tried many other holsters (even high end stuff like the Pure Kustoms) and for me nothing beats the comfort of the flat back style. It also helps to spread the weight very evenly over a wide area which increases comfort as well.

Part of reason I love my SP-101 and generally tended to shy away from even sub compact autos were that I thought they were “hard to conceal”. Now, let me qualify that. As most of you know I refuse to wear baggy clothing to facilitate concealing a handgun. In the past 3 years I went from 240 pounds to 180 pounds at about 9 percent body fat. I hit the gym 4 times a week, run 4 times a week and eat right. Not trying to sound cocky but I didn’t bust my behind for three years to get in great shape so that I could wear clothes that are too big for me. A wheel gun conceals VERY well on me without having to make any changes to my wardrobe. But then I noticed something about the G19… It concealed pretty well too!

I don’t think the reason that the G19 conceals better now has anything to do with the gun or my clothes. If anything it should conceal worse because I wear more fitted clothes as opposed to the size to big stuff I used to wear when I was 60 pounds heavier. What changed is my perception. When I first tried a G19 I was pretty new to CCW. And I think like most people new to CCW I stressed constantly over any little tiny bit of “printing”. Being able to see ANYTHING under my shirt was totally unacceptable. In my few years of carrying I have relaxed a bit. I understand now that not everyone in public is constantly staring at my right hip to see if I am carrying a gun. That thread that was posted a few weeks back about the studies done about what people notice while in public illustrate this really well. So, yes… when I reach across my body with my right arm or twist my torso at extreme angles the handle shows a little bit. Does it scream “OMG GUN!!!!!” Nope. Does it look like a gun? To me yes but that’s only because I know what it is. I highly highly highly doubt that any normal passerby would even notice that there is something there much less think it was a gun.

I have to admit…. While I know statistically that the majority of civilian self defense shootings are resolved with less than 5 rounds there is something comforting about having 15+1 on tap and another 15 just a reload away. It’s not that I felt poorly armed with my SP-101, it’s that I feel slightly better armed with my G19. I was trying to think of a way to explain it and this is the best I could come up with. I always felt that my 101 would be perfectly adequate for 95 percent of the situations I could possibly find myself in where a handgun would be sufficient. I feel that the G19 is adequate for 99 percent of situations. Is it work lugging around the G19 instead of the 101 for a 4 percent increase? Yes. Mainly because it’s not that much harder to carry. Am I saying that a wheel gun is not adequate protection? Not at all. Only that when I have a choice between carrying more fire power or less firepower and there is no specific reason ( like needing more concealment) to carry less firepower, I see no reason not to opt to carry more.

So…what am I saying? I think I am saying that the G19 is quickly becoming my EDC and my SP-101 is getting moved to deep concealment duty. There’s really nothing I dislike about the G19. It’s a massive amount of fire power in a pretty small package. It’s easy to carry. It’s easy to shoot. It’s stone cold reliable. Overall it’s a great carry gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Glad you like your G19. I purchased one in June and have enjoyed it very much. I guess we both "drank the cool-aid"
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Had a similar experience with my Glock 19 recently after going from 245 lbs down to 190. First bought it about 3 years ago and only carried it when my cover garments allowed (jackets or large shirts). Now I'm able to wear it with a t-shirt; getting a proper gunbelt also made a difference. I've used a MTAC for a long while, so I attributed the new-found ease of concealment primarily to my weight loss. I've read posts referring to the difference in shoulder width in proportion to one's waist when losing weight making it considerably easier to conceal larger weapons - I'm now a believer in that theory.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

carry my G19 everyday, I love it. It conceals well under pretty much anything, I can even conceal it under gym shorts with no shirt on using a belly band.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

VIP Member
    Rollo,

Glad you like the G-19, now I will proceed to wait about 3-5 months and see what your next EDC will be.
    zacii likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member
    I enjoyed your post this morning, and can relate to many points.

I had myself mentally psyched out of loving the Glocks until I shot one. Then it was like, ok, I can love this gun.

I get caught up on the visual at first. It would be nice to paper bag test fire guns, sort of like a blind wine tasting. Many times those sleek racehorse guns just don't have a firm feel or on point shot for me.

The G19 is simply superb! Capacity, concealability and an adequate caliber. Perfect!
    joker1 and Justified like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I can totally relate to your situation. I have also grown to love my Glocks.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I see friends gathering for an intervention in his future!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Oh, another GLOCK 19 love fest, didn't see that coming.

Gotcha, I did see it coming! Never tire of hearing how people come to love this fine pistol. Some take more prodding and time than others but most come around. It is truly a great pistol, that's why there is one on my hip 99% of my waking hours.
    Last edited by joker1; July 18th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I 'rediscovered' my G19 while carrying it on vacation at the beach this summer. It's gone back to being my EDC again.

Senior Moderator
    My G19 has kind of won me over as well. I'm glad you are having success with it.

You didn't have any trouble with reliability with yours, did you? I had a few start up issues but a new recoil spring fixed it right up and now I carry it with confidence.

I am happy that you finally found a carry weapon that you like. I prefer a snub for 90% of my carry duties but I do carry to the occasion and go hicap glock from time to time. I suggest you rotate your carry regime and carry to your environment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Rollo,

Glad you like the G-19, now I will proceed to wait about 3-5 months and see what your next EDC will be.
    Come on, now. Be nice. As we all know, it is a process. And likely one none of us will ever finish. The search is endless. We are all looking for the next, best thing. Rollo just isn't afraid to share his journey with the rest of us.

Rollo, enjoy your G19.
    limatunes and TN_Mike like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Come on, now. Be nice. As we all know, it is a process. And likely one none of us will ever finish. The search is endless. We are all looking for the next, best thing. Rollo just isn't afraid to share his journey with the rest of us.

Rollo, enjoy your G19.
    You aren't kidding. Sometimes it seems like JD changes carry guns every other month... and every time he says the same thing, "THIS!! is the gun!"

I'm just glad he wasn't the same way about wives..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links