Charter Arms 40S&W Pitbull suitable for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms 40S&W Pitbull suitable for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my opinion charter has a pretty crappy website so I'm not surprised. I couldn't find 'em either. However Bud's has them in stock and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charter Arms 40S&W Pitbull suitable for concealed carry?

In my opinion charter has a pretty crappy website so I'm not surprised. I couldn't find 'em either. However Bud's has them in stock and ready to ship. I noticed a couple others also had them. Bud's is asking $408 with free shipping. In doing my homework though I find a very mixed bag of reviews of Charter guns in general. Seems like if you get a good one then it's a great gun. But seems to be way to many owners with locked up cylinders and other problems with very few rounds fired. Much as I like the idea of getting a snubbie in .40 cal I don't think I would feel comfortable carrying a pistol that will "probably" work. Unless I can find some evidence to indicate that charters problems have been solved I will get the LCR .357. I've owned a few different Rugers over the years and have never been given a reason to question their integrity.

2. Remove Ads

Shooting a gun that takes rimless cartridges doesn't that require using moon clips.I'm not a big fan of needing a special device to retain the ammo in the cylinder.I personally would go with the 357,it may be an extra caliber,but you only need to shoot enough to stay proficient,and the ammo isn't too expensive
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well that was the big deal with the Charter. They have a patented method that doesn't require the use of the moon or half moon clips.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Shooting a gun that takes rimless cartridges doesn't that require using moon clips.I'm not a big fan of needing a special device to retain the ammo in the cylinder.I personally would go with the 357,it may be an extra caliber,but you only need to shoot enough to stay proficient,and the ammo isn't too expensive
    Yet you have no problem with a semi auto that requires a special device to hold the rounds in the gun.....
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

"Yet you have no problem with a semi auto that requires a special device to hold the rounds in the gun.....". That's funny. Hadn't ever thought of it that way before. Weren't the half moon or moon clips more for ejecting the spent cases rather than holding the rounds in the cylinder. At least on some guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    "Yet you have no problem with a semi auto that requires a special device to hold the rounds in the gun.....". That's funny. Hadn't ever thought of it that way before. Weren't the half moon or moon clips more for ejecting the spent cases rather than holding the rounds in the cylinder. At least on some guns.
    They also aid as a reloading device. Kind of like a speed loader.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The pit Bull

I just purchased a Charter Arms Pitbul from a local gun shop. I bought it because I shoot other 40 sw and already reload ammunition. I found it listed on Charter Arm's website. It shoots well but after 10 round the ejector would not full retract and I have already sent it back to the factory to be fixed.

The pit Bull

I just purchased a Charter Arms Pitbull from a local gun shop. I bought it because I shoot other 40 sw and already reload ammunition. I found it listed on Charter Arm's website. It shoots well but after 10 rounds the ejector would not fully retract and I have already sent it back to the factory to be fixed.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yes, the issue is one of extraction, not retention. Since the .40S&W headspaces on the mouth of the case vs the rim, it requires some other method of extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Interesting that they've made it to market with no announcement from the company and no info on their website. In fact, Charter Arms dropped all of the "Rimless Revolver" info from their website well over a year ago and there is still no mention of it in any caliber.
    Charter Pit Bill #74020
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Seems you're choosing between a major, quality firearm manufacturer in a common, proven configuration (Ruger LCR) versus a mid-grade, mid-size firearm manufacturer in an uncommon, unproven configuration (Charter Pitbull .40 S&W) that may already be discontinued? With all due respect, this question seems to answer itself.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The REAL Bobbed Hammer for the Pug

I purchased a real (original design) bobbed Pug hammer from Charter several weeks ago. I was assured that it works on the current models in both single and double action. It is available only in blue at the moment, and I asked them to provide it again in stainless. The one mentioned earlier in the Forum is double action only. I will install the purchased hammer on a .357 Pug I am ordering. I would not have ordered it with the spur hammer.

Skip the charter arms and just get the LCR revolver. The peace of mind is well worth any price difference. Charter arms seems so-so based on the number of bad reviews. No point is possibly regretting your decision to save a few bucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links