Charter Arms 40S&W Pitbull suitable for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms 40S&W Pitbull suitable for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been planning on buying a Ruger LCR in .357 for concealed carry. In fact I was set to order one till last night. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms 40S&W Pitbull suitable for concealed carry?

I had been planning on buying a Ruger LCR in .357 for concealed carry. In fact I was set to order one till last night. Then I noticed that a few of the online stores now have the Charter Arms Pitbull in stock in .40 S&W. It's tempting to go with the Pitbull just because I have a Sig and a Ruger carbine both in that caliber. The Pitbull is heavier and somewhat longer than the Ruger LCR but no more so than my PPK. The biggest concern I have is the exposed hammer. The gun would typicaly be carried in an inside jacket pocket with a pocket holster sewn into place. For any of you who have carried a snubbie with an exposed hammer, has it ever caused any problems with snagging. It would be handy having all three of those guns firing the same round but that would not outweigh the problems caused by that hammer hanging up. Realisticly, how much of a concern is this in real life. I realize that if it happened it would be a great concern but then autoloaders can jam and yet many bet their lives on them.

First off, welcome to the forum. It would be cool to have one caliber for several different weapons, but I would not be a fan of a revolver with an exposed hammer in a pocket holster. You could get it and get the hammer bobbed.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    welcome to the forum and 'yes'

if it is carried inside the dog
    ----------------

the hammer would be a deal breaker for me also. in practice it is not a problem.....but away from controlled conditions, add movement and it may hang-up.
    i am a big fan of the 40 but for my vest/coat pocket i have, errr, had a 642. now its a 332.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have a 442 w/o hammer, and an SP101 with a hammer.

The hammer doesn't bother me at all, and it doesn't snag at all. But, as always, YMMV
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks all for the welcome's. If I were to have the hammer bobbed could that result in light strikes and FTF's.

Charter sells the bobbed hammer as an accessory
    http://www.charter2000.site.aplus.ne...gory_Code=4PRT

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Thanks all for the welcome's. If I were to have the hammer bobbed could that result in light strikes and FTF's.
    Light strikes and FTF's are definitely something you want to avoid in an EDC pistol.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Interesting that they've made it to market with no announcement from the company and no info on their website. In fact, Charter Arms dropped all of the "Rimless Revolver" info from their website well over a year ago and there is still no mention of it in any caliber.

Having a hammer on a pocket revolver is no big deal, practice putting your thumb on the back of the hammer when you draw and it can't hang up on anything.

Yeah, I know a couple of guys that were anxious for them to be released but had finaly given up after a couple years of waiting. Suddenly I find 3 or 4 online stores that have them in stock. Wish they were common enough to actually find one in a local shop. My original choice, the LCR .357 seemed like an easy enough choice. I feel like I need to do more homework on the pit bull.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Interesting that they've made it to market with no announcement from the company and no info on their website. In fact, Charter Arms dropped all of the "Rimless Revolver" info from their website well over a year ago and there is still no mention of it in any caliber.

Having a hammer on a pocket revolver is no big deal, practice putting your thumb on the back of the hammer when you draw and it can't hang up on anything.
    I thought maybe this was a discontinued model. Who's the marketing genius that came up with the concept of zero marketing effort roll out?
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I thought maybe this was a discontinued model. Who's the marketing genius that came up with the concept of zero marketing effort roll out?
    No kidding. On top of that they named it after their own marketing failure, the original Charter Arms Pit Bull in 9mm Federal, a rimmed 9mm ala the .45 Auto Rim. The ammo was made by Federal exclusively for the new (at the time) revolver. It didn't go anywhere. What they've done here is the equivelant of Ford bringing back the Edsel with a different engine and not telling anybody.

the story I was told was that the release was held up for so long by their patent lawyers. Apparantly they wanted to make sure they had everything tied up on their new system before making it available.

Very cool. Glad to see they finally got the ball rolling on these. I have mini bobbed the hammer on two of my Charter revolvers and have not had any light primer strikes.

I would def address the hammer if you plan on carrying in a pocket. The thumb covering the hammer trick is the last thing I would want to worry about in a defensive situation.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Charter does not show any 40 on there site?? Or 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links