Taurus 145 & 745

Taurus 145 & 745

This is a discussion on Taurus 145 & 745 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi- I'm new to the site and have a few questions about the Taurus 145 & 745: What do you fellas think of these two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus 145 & 745

Taurus 145 & 745

Hi- I'm new to the site and have a few questions about the Taurus 145 & 745: What do you fellas think of these two pistols as far as functioning & overall quality for CC? I was going to buy a Kahr CW45, but there seems to be alot of issues with these pistols that shouldn't be a problem to begin with. So, I was looking at the Taurus guns. Glock is out of the question as I don't like them.
    I want a DA pistol for carry that doesn't have alot of problems associated with it. Caliber of choice is the 45 ACP.
    I've got a Colt Officers Model that has been reworked and is as close to 100% as you can get, but again I want a DA pistol to use as well. Aside from the two Taurus guns, do you fellas have any other choices if these two are problematic?
    Thanks for any help!

Looking at Taurus's track record and looking at Kahr's track record I think you have a better chance of getting a functional out of the box pistol from Kahr then you do from Taurus. Speaking from experience if that pistol is NOT functional out of the box then Kahr is going to have better customer service then Taurus.
    Last edited by Rollo; July 19th, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Justified likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I would not put my life in the hands of a Taurus smei-auto (revolver yes). If you don't like Glocks; one you must be crazy (jk) and two you can check out XD Springfield Armory
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Maybe I better stick with my Officers Model..................

Quote Originally Posted by Junker View Post
    Maybe I better stick with my Officers Model..................
    Good choice, unless you want to trade it for a taurus, I would go and buy one to trade with you
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I've got a Colt Officers Model that has been reworked and is as close to 100% as you can get, but again I want a DA pistol to use as well.
    That statement makes me a little nervous. What exactly do you mean? Does as close to 100 percent as possible mean 1-2 failures in 100 rounds? 10,000 rounds? A few failures during the first 200 rounds but none since? I ask because of the some times problematic nature of officers 1911's. I'm not saying I wouldn't trust my life to one but I don't think I would trust it until I had 1000 problem free rounds though one.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    That statement makes me a little nervous. What exactly do you mean? Does as close to 100 percent as possible mean 1-2 failures in 100 rounds? 10,000 rounds? A few failures during the first 200 rounds but none since? I ask because of the some times problematic nature of officers 1911's. I'm not saying I wouldn't trust my life to one but I don't think I would trust it until I had 1000 problem free rounds though one.
    I bought the Officers Model back in the 1980s and had it reworked by an excellent 1911 pistolsmith of the day. Since then, the gun has never jammed for any reason as long as it is fed quality ammo in quality magazines. There's no problem staking your life on this gun. It was tuned by one of the best. I routinely shoot 200 gr Lead SWC slugs thru it without a hitch. It'll outshoot or equal most 5" 1911's. Try that with the Glocks, etc.. I just wanted a DA pistol in 45 ACP. Maybe I should look at the Para LDA.........

JD
    Administrator
    The Sig 220 family is available in DAK and there's the S&W M&P. I've been very happy with my HK45 which can be had in the HK45 compact with a DA trigger (LEM)

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

I've got a full size M&P .45 & 9mm. I really like the M&P, but the compact version in 45 is still too big. I'll have to keep my eye out for an HK. SIG is pricey for a polymer isn't it? I mean the M&P @ $479 is bad enough. I guess I want it all- good price & a reliable, small 45 DA pistol.

I've got a full size M&P .45 & 9mm. I really like the M&P, but the compact version in 45 is still too big. I'll have to keep my eye out for an HK. SIG is pricey for a polymer isn't it? I mean the M&P @ $479 is bad enough. I guess I want it all- good price & a reliable, small 45 DA pistol.
    and a high round count too with TFO
    - George Orwell Military

cmb
    there are lots of of DA 45's out there, personally I am limited to 1911's in this caliber, but have read good things about the Taurus Milleniums etc... however the statement about customer service does seem to be a recurring theme... Depending on size and the round count you are looking for Glock 30, 36, Sig, HK, Ruger, Springfield Armory XD or XDM (may be coming our with 45 compact soon?) The thing is in 45 higher capacity is more gun and more weight, so 10 + 1 is about it in a compact form it where as in the same package you can find 15/19+1... not recommending a change in caliber but too consider all aspects...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

I just wanted a DA pistol in 45 ACP. Maybe I should look at the Para LDA.........
    The PT145 and PT745 are sa/da not da.

don't forget about the bersa thunder uc pro. I used to have one and it was rock solid, the slide finish sucks but hey, you can't have everything. i was in the gun shop today and they were selling them for $365.00, they also had a used M&P .45 that was traded in for $350.00 so good deals on awesome guns can be had if you look around. Taurus, unfortunately, has built up a lot of ill will with their crappy customer service and malfunction-prone guns.

Quote Originally Posted by slacking View Post
    don't forget about the bersa thunder uc pro. I used to have one and it was rock solid, the slide finish sucks but hey, you can't have everything. i was in the gun shop today and they were selling them for $365.00, they also had a used M&P .45 that was traded in for $350.00 so good deals on awesome guns can be had if you look around. Taurus, unfortunately, has built up a lot of ill will with their crappy customer service and malfunction-prone guns.
    I was SOOOOOOOO close to buying a UC9 a few weeks ago. The only thing that stopped me is the chincy feeling plastic grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I was SOOOOOOOO close to buying a UC9 a few weeks ago. The only thing that stopped me is the chincy feeling plastic grips.
    Yep, ultimately that was the reason i traded it. the grip is huge considering it only holds 7 rounds (for the .45) and there are no aftermarket options for replacing it. my hand just didn't fit the gun very well, those with bigger hands may not care. it is a high value gun though, comes with 2 mags, polygonal barrel, locking system, nice smooth trigger. any sights made for a sig sauer will also fit the bersa so that's good. at the price they sell for it's a good gun but then again, budsgunshop.com has the kahr cw45 for $417 right now and that gun is infinitely better for a concealed carry .45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links