Sig P226/229 e2

Sig P226/229 e2

This is a discussion on Sig P226/229 e2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not seen these mentioned here as of yet. I am very interested in the P226 e2. I have a friend at work who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sig P226/229 e2

Sig P226/229 e2

I have not seen these mentioned here as of yet. I am very interested in the P226 e2. I have a friend at work who is picking up one this week and I am looking forward to getting to shoot it.

For those who don't know, Sig had reduced the grip and shortened the trigger reach on the e2 models of the P229 and P226. Here is a link to the Sig site that shows the P226 page and also to a .pdf file that really does a good job of showing the difference in the old and the new versions.:

P229 Enhanced Elite

http://sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsConte...-226-3page.pdf
    Justified likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I do not own one, but I have shot a 226e2. It took a little getting used too, especially since I normally shoot classic Sigs, but I liked it a lot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I figured if ANYONE on here had shot one it would have been you SIXTO. I know you are a big Sig fan.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I love my Gen 1 Sig P229 and my Sig P6 (mfg April 1991 for the West German PD).
    I am not crazy about the new grips one little bit.

Not sure what Sig has been thinking about with Grips & checkering lately. Their 1911s MSH look like meat grinders.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have a Sig 229 E2 in .40 with night sights. My only problem with it, is that it does not have an accessory rail, so I don't use it as my night stand gun.

I have carried it almost every day for roughly 2 years now. Great gun.

Be careful though, I think my P229 E2 fits looser in some holster that were made for the Sig 229. It doesn't bother me, because I carry IWB with a Galco King Tuk, and my belt takes up the slack and holds it tight.

Edit: I looked at the PDF, It looks like the new versions have a accessory rail. I'm glad they changed that.
    Last edited by Nathanimal; July 19th, 2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: More Info

They do have a rail.

I don't understand why your e2 would fit looser in any holster designed for the regular version. The e2 is different only in the grip area so it should fit just fine in any holster designed for the pre-e2 versions.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Great looking firearm, but I'd wait a while to make sure that others have tried and tested it...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got a 229 E2 in 40 last April. Was holding out for one in 357 SIG, but it was at a dealers table at a show. He only had 40s and 9s. So I got it. It has the rail and came with three mags and night sights. I only have around 100 rounds through it, as my job and two boys allow me very little free time. But I truly love it. The feel, handling, accuracy, all are perfect. The finest handgun I have shot. I realize 100 rounds is not much of a test, but I carry it. The rounds I have put through it were perfect. I got one of Greg Kramer's MSP holsters for it. I expected much from this gun, and it delivers more. With a good holster, it carries very well. They are a bit thick, so I have never even considered IWB. But I am sure lots of guys carry them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Great looking firearm, but I'd wait a while to make sure that others have tried and tested it...OMOYMV
    These have been around long enough to know that they are reliable. Plus it really isn't a big change to anything int he gun other than grip circumference.

My coworker picked his up today. He had it in his car at work and I got to fondle it extensively. In fact, he had to tell me to give it back. I didn't want to turn it back over to him. I love the way this gun feels in my hand. I do not have big hands (comes with the territory when you are 5'8) and I can manipulate the slide release without changing my grip on the gun at all and only minimally to manipulate the decocker. The reduced trigger reach is SWEET! I am going to have to get one of these guns. That's the bottom line.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You will be glad that you did.

I have a couple of newer SIGs (226/229) that were not marked E2 but did have the short reset. I recently changed out the grips to the one piece E2 grips and they feel better in my hands.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I think there is one major problem with E2 grips. Now, I have not fired one, but I have handled and dry-fired a few at local dealers.

The new grip does make it easier to reach the trigger, to be sure. It does so, however, by indenting the grip below the top of the tang (where a beavertail would be if you had that option). The result is that your grip is going to be lower on the gun than on a non-E2 SIG---that means the bore height is effectively higher and you are going to have a little more recoil to deal with. The SIG classic design is somewhat of a high bore axis to start with, so I don't really care for the resulting geometry.

I have smallish hands and I find the Hogue Extreme grips (aluminum or G10) work just fine for me on a P226. They are about the slimmest things you can put on a P226/228/229 sized pistol.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Looks sharp. But the classic P228 fits my hand like a glove. My Glocks fit my hand well because I train with them frequently. My duty weapon is a 23. But everytime I pick up that 228, it's just perfect in my hand.

If the e2 works for you, go for it. Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I had a 226 e2 for 24hrs. That's right, one day. Not because I didn't like it, but because I liked the two-tone 226 my store got in the very next day even more! I happened to be there to exchange a different purchase I had made when I spotted the two-tone. Much to my delight, not only did it have the e2 grips, night sights, and the SRT like the e2, but it also came with 3 mags. I called Sig and they told me that all new Sigs were coming with the e2 grips and the additional mag. I was fortunate enough that the store allowed me to exchange my e2 for the two-tone with only a minimal restocking fee.
    p226 two-tone.jpg
    "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    They do have a rail.

I don't understand why your e2 would fit looser in any holster designed for the regular version. The e2 is different only in the grip area so it should fit just fine in any holster designed for the pre-e2 versions.
    Actually the slide, serrations, and external extractor are different on the new p229r. More to it then SRT, and new grip.
    I have about 1500 rnds through my p229r(e2) and still working on extractor kinks.
    Love the gun just got get the extractor right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links