free beretta 25 cal.

This is a discussion on free beretta 25 cal. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My older sister just came by out of the blue and gave me her beretta 950b5. Never been much on 25 cal. but figure might ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: free beretta 25 cal.

free beretta 25 cal.

My older sister just came by out of the blue and gave me her beretta 950b5. Never been much on 25 cal. but figure might make a good pocket gun.
    Does anyone know the pros and cons of this gun.
    And is there such of a thing as a good SD 25 cal. ammo?

2. Remove Ads

I got really really excited for a second there...

Cool

Dang I thought you were giving one away.

I have a 950 that I have had for quite a long time and use to carry as a BUG back in the day.

Some folks like FMJ in a small caliber like the .25 acp to get as much penetration as possible and I have to agree with that thinking.

I have a .380 Diamondback and use it as a BUG and that is about as light a caliber as I would want to trust my life with.

The Beretta 950 is well made for what it is but what it is will always be a .25 acp.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Sorry... lol

My Dad carries one regularly. His reasoning is that it is more than likely going to be an arms distance gun, so he plans to empty the magazine into the attackers gut. Them little FMJ's tend to bounce around in soft tissue, so it might be more effective than you think.

It is an extremely reliable little gun, and I might not mind having it as a BUG. I wouldn't carry it as a primary though.

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    x2 sdfsdfsdfsdf

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    That's an oxymoron.

And congrats on the new (to you) Beretta.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    I carry Winchester Expanding Point ammo, for the most part it is shot placement (like any other caliber).
    Aim for the thoracic triangle+neck.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Having a 25cal with you is better than having nothing.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have a Beretta .25 Series 950. It's been very reliable and lived in my briefcase for many years. It's small enough you can conceal it in a shirt pocket if you wanted to. Congratulations on the free pistol.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would load that cricket with 50-grain ball ammo or 35-grain Hornady XTP-HP.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Pros: It's reliable and well made. The design is proven over many years.

Cons: The safety lever is small so you have to decide if you can operate it well enough to carry cocked-n-locked. Otherwise you have to carry hammer down and cock before firing. At least its safe to do so, since you can tip the barrel up before decocking. I wouldn't carry it chamber empty considering the design. You also have to understand how to clear malfunctions. The tip up barrel means no extractor, so if you try to clear a jam the way you're used to you will probably make things worse. The mag release and safety are set up for right hand use, so if you're right handed and carrying as a weak hand backup you'll have to adjust for it. You're probably not going to speed reload it anyway, but its something to consider and train for.

I personally prefer the Winchester XP load. Any .25 I own that I might carry, and SWMBO's everyday Seecamp BUG use this load.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

That's about what I would pay for one. Seriously, most 950s work. The only one I ever owned was hopelessly unreliable. I have a Beretta 22A that is reliable as it can be. Go figure. 950s are neat little guns and are fun to play with, but I never carry anything smaller than .32 ACP for a BUG now, and then, usually only as a BUG-BUG. I don't want to shoot someone with a .25 and risk REALLY ******* him off.

I've looked at these before and thought about adding one to my collection just because they are neat. However, I'd probably never carry it as a self-defense weapon. Not because of the caliber, but just the gun doesn't "feel" like a real gun to me.. I can't explain it logically. If it came down to it, I'd think I'd rather carry my Walther P22 than one of those. maybe it has something to do with the fact that the grip seems so much larger than the slide/barrel section. However, I suppose if I ever pick one up and take it to the range a few times perhaps I'd change my mind.

Anyway, congratulations on the free gun. Any idea why she didn't want it anymore? I hope the answer is that she got something bigger and better, rather than decided she didn't want to be a gun owner anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links