Ruger sr1911 - Opinions?

Ruger sr1911 - Opinions?

This is a discussion on Ruger sr1911 - Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just put my name on a list for the Ruger sr1911. Have any of you laid your hands on them? They look great on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruger sr1911 - Opinions?

Ruger sr1911 - Opinions?

I just put my name on a list for the Ruger sr1911. Have any of you laid your hands on them? They look great on paper and price, and Ive heard nothing but good reviews to back it up. At $590, I couldnt pass up the features resembling a much more expensive 1911.

OD*
    Here's an honest review; Ruger SR1911 Review - M1911.ORG E-zine
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks alot. A very good, thorough, and knowledgable review. It was also very helpful to see both reviewers end up purchasing the guns they were testing.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Man...thats a good price, Gallery of Guns shows an MSRP of $799.00. (www.GalleryOfGuns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com) At $590.00 thats a "can't pass this up" price. I may have to look into this myself.

BTW...good review.
    RugerMak likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My local shop is a very honest man on prices and doesnt hike up due to demand or anything. He has a set percentage that is applied to everything, thats it. I havent been able to find even anything on the internet for less than $590 so I just said to heck with it, Ill just wait on a list. Plus, Im trading in a pistol I just recently bought from him for the 1911, so hes going to make me a little better deal with that too.

P.S. Most online shops had them from 600-650, but none were in stock anywhere. Id imagine gun shows will have jacked up prices.
    Stubborn likes this.

I like dealing with the "little guys"...I paid about $60.00 more for my M&P just to buy from my "regular" gun shop. I have no problem supporting an HONEST business, that I like. That way they'll be around in the future.
    RugerMak and alachner like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own 20+ 1911-types, ranging in original cost from el-cheapo to over $2500. I expect that I will own one of the new Rugers when they become more readily available and my local gun dealer can get me one. Based upon the several reviews I've read, I think it is a lot of gun for the money. I appreciate OD's link to the review in the previous thread. I had anticipated that I'd likely want to replace the slide stop, and that review proved me correct. I'll get a Wilson or Brown tool steel slide stop with a .200" pin. I'll just have to wait and see about the thumb safety. Other than it needing a checkered frontstrap, I don't see much of anything else I'll likely change, except maybe the mainspring housing. I'll probably either checker or stipple the frontstrap myself. Do I "need" one of the new Rugers? Since when has need been an issue?
    alachner, JD and RugerMak like this.

I plan on purchasing one myself. I have been quoted $629.00 and $639.00 plus tax at two shops.
    RugerMak likes this.

Hopefully Ruger can step up the game and catch up on production. It looks like they didnt quite predict this kind of demand. However, according to my local shop owners opinion, ruger is one of the best about getting guns out when they say they will. Im prepared to wait a couple months, but hopefully we can get it knocked out in 3-4 weeks.
    RugerMak likes this.

VIP Member
    Im not sold. If it's like every other Ruger it's middle of the road quality. I will keep my Colt's.....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Probably, roughly half the price of a Colt also...isn't it? Comparisons are good as long as it's apples to apples.
    Just my $.02
    RugerMak likes this.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Agreed. Ruger makes dependable, AFFORDABLE guns for the average American. It has its own niche, and has so for decades. They arent in it to make high-dollar, custom, "top of the road" pistols for select crowds, there are others for that. They have their own customers and stay pretty loyal to them. Sub-$750, this is probably the best 1911 in its class on paper. We'll see how it performs through testing.
    kahrcarrier and RugerMak like this.

I've got six Rugers, a 10/22, two MK pistols, and three revolvers, a Redhawk, a Blackhawk and a Vaquero. The Blackhawk was my Dads, it's one of the old original "flat-top" Blackhawks made in the late fifties. My oldest MK I've had since 1973 and honestly couldn't begin to guess how many rounds through it, upwards of 10 to 20 thousand probably. None have ever been back to the factory or to see the gunsmith. Pretty hard to "argue" with results like that. Not that I'm a "Ruger Guy", both my carry weapons are S&W. I own Sako, Remington, Mossberg, and Thompson Center. Ruger is not the "end all" in firearms, but like "LAglocks" said "dependable, and affordable" pretty much sums it up IMO.
    RugerMak likes this.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have shot my son's Ruger 1911 and am very impressed with the fit and accuracy. I think he paid $625 OTD with a $25 range credit included. From what I have seen in the gun shops around here, it's the best "bang for the buck" you can get for under $1000.
    RugerMak likes this.

I will say that from what I've read it's not a browning or colt original but it beats the breaks off a remington or rock island armory any day. I've yet to see a head to head comparison with a springfield or kimber but supposedly it's at or just a little under that quality. Ive also been considering getting one but I've had bad experiences with a pair of RIAs I rented at my local range so I've been leery of 1911s and it's always best to wait a while after a new gun comes out to allow for the manufacturer to correct any issues that they may have overlooked at the time of release and also to let the initial price gouging subside. on the other hand you're getting it for a steal at that price and Ruger has always backed their products 100% so at the very worst they will pay to have your gun shipped back to them for replacement...
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links