Self Defense Ammunitions

This is a discussion on Self Defense Ammunitions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Similar threads have probably been started, as with the "best 9mm non +p" thread. I use a .40 so I dont want to limit the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Ammunitions

Question Self Defense Ammunitions

Similar threads have probably been started, as with the "best 9mm non +p" thread. I use a .40 so I dont want to limit the discussion to a certain caliber. I would like everyone to state what they use, and what they think about what I use. I would like to gather as much information about this subject as possible to make a decision on whether or not I have chose a reasonable defense round, and if others offer me anything above and beyond what I have now. I have heard lots about Cor-Bon, Silvertips (seem to have better ballistics numbers than my Ranger T's) Magsafe, Speer, Federal and a variety of others.

I use 180 grain Winchester Ranger T JHP's (New style Black Talons) in my .40 Glock 27. I would like to try some Cor-Bons, and I have 8 Magsafes which I plan on shooting through a gallon water bottle as another member of this forum has done, as well as through denim, and a variety of other things. Whatever it is you use, state it here.

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I have stuck with GD's now for 2 years. Std vel in HiPower and R9 and +P in EDC SIG.

I not only like the consistency of bullet performance but also that the round runs well thru the guns - IMO that function is paramount and more important than supposed bullet performance.

Rangers are just one of many offerings these days that really will still get the job done - and if they run well for you and give adequate accuracy then no real need to change.

I want to try some EFMJ's sometime but having got stock of GD's that won't be any time soon. I also tend to be a tad cynical with some hype written up about some rounds!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

When I carried a 9mm, I used to be very particular (some might say obsessive) about the ammunition I carried. The only two loads I considered adequate were Winchester 127-grain +P+ Ranger SXTs or Speer 124-grain +P Gold Dots.

With a few more years, a lot more experience and a switch to a .45, I am not nearly as concerned about my ammunition. I'll use any quality JHP that feeds reliably and delivers acceptable accuracy.

Right now I am using Winchester 230-grain Ranger SXTs (RA45T). On the rare occasions I carry my P7M8, I use one of the aforementioned loads.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Federal Hydrashok or Ranger +p+ for 9mm.

Ranger LE +p in the .40.

Federal Hydrashok or GD in the .45.

Expansion is important, but reliability is critical. I will only carry a round after running 200+ through the weapon w/o any problems. There is too much good ammo out today to put up with FTF problems. If something isnt 100%, move on.

I wont feed anything that is considered a "magic" type round like magsafes or any other hyped up marketing ploy. They may be good, or whatever, but I just dont see the point in paying that much for so little, when you could pay less per round and shoot alot more, and have a proven combat munition.
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Right now I carry 124gr +P Federal EFMJ in the pistol and in a spare magazine. The other spare magazine is loaded with Black Hills 124gr +P. I also enjoy CorŽBon 125gr when I have it and regular ol' Gold Dot.

In the .380 I currently carry Blazer 88gr HP which seem to just be Gold Dots without the Gold Dot in the middle. In a VERY informal test I put some through a 6" sapling. Most almost penetrated, and of the ones I could dig out, were all very nicely expanded, textbook fashion. This was spring and the sap was up, so the wood was extra moist. There was one single malfunction which I attribute to limpwristing (I'm used to fullsize handguns with a delayed blowback, not a PPK type direct blowback operation.)

When a .22 was my BUG I carried Stingers.

Josh <><

I tend to like remmington golden sabres. They feed in everything I have and seem to be very accurate. As far as bullet weights are concerned I like to stay in the middle part of the spectrum for a given caliber.
    9mm=124gr
    .40=155gr
    .45=185gr
    .357/.38=125gr
    I believe this gives me the best combination of energy, velocity, and penetration.

What are EFMJ's?
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

ALSO!!-

I was unaware that +p or +P+ were even available in .40 caliber. I have seen them in .45 and 9mm, unsure about .357sig.

Just a quick side-note question. Glocks are capable of handling +p an d +p+ rounds right?
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911
    What are EFMJ's?
    It stands for expanding full metal jacket. It's essentially a hollowpoint that's capped/covered. The idea is that it will get through clothing better and then expand in tissue I guess.

Personally, I carry ball ammo. I'm a weirdo though.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    180g .40s&w Gold Dots, and 95g .380 Gold dots, for one reason, I shoot better with these rounds than other self defense rounds.
    Curry

EFMJ stands for expanding full metal jacket. It looks like a standard ball round, but the jacket is scored so that it mushrooms like a hollowpoint, but still feeds like ball ammo.

Federal makes them

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I also use the Ranger-T 180gr in my 40. 230gr Ranger-T in my 45 GAP
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

185 gr. Remington Golden Sabers in my 3'' 1911 .45. I like the smaller weight because it gives more velocity out of my smaller barrel. And also, because of their rounded profile, Golden Sabers feed VERY well. In my Glock 19, 124 gr. +p Gold Dots all the time.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    It stands for expanding full metal jacket. It's essentially a hollow point that's capped/covered. The idea is that it will get through clothing better and then expand in tissue I guess.

Personally, I carry ball ammo. I'm a weirdo though.
    Well--not exactly--An excellent explanation of EFMJ can be found in 'Stopping Power' by Marshall and Sanow. Should be in any decent library.

The bullet was developed by the same guy that gave you Hydra-Shok, Tom Burczyniski.

It has a truncated cone profile [flat nose] and is designed to feed in guns that do not feed hollow point ammo well.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Well--not exactly--An excellent explanation of EFMJ can be found in 'Stopping Power' by Marshall and Sanow. Should be in any decent library.

The bullet was developed by the same guy that gave you Hydra-Shok, Tom Burczyniski.

It has a truncated cone profile [flat nose] and is designed to feed in guns that do not feed hollow point ammo well.
    Guess I should have looked at more than one site before I made the post. I did see the Tom Burczyniski guy's name though. Maybe it was refering to the first prototype. I like the idea of efmj ammo though, I might give that a whirl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links