8 Shot 357 VS 1911

This is a discussion on 8 Shot 357 VS 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a side arm to compliment my smaller carry guns. This gun will be used for home defense and as a trail or camp ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 8 Shot 357 VS 1911

8 Shot 357 VS 1911

I need a side arm to compliment my smaller carry guns. This gun will be used for home defense and as a trail or camp gun. I fish alot at night and have already seen one Mountion Lion this summer! We don't have brown bears here in Colorado. Just black bears and lions. And of course lots of two legged scumbags!!

I have been going back and forth between a 1911 or a 7 or 8 shot SW 357. I really like the ammo versatility of the Wheelgun! Both guns are very heavy and won't be concealed. The concealment factor really seems to be the main strength of a 1911!! The 1911 will only hold 8 rounds so it is a draw in that respect! But 1911s feel great in my hand!

I have been reading this site now for about a year. And the wealth of information and knowledge here is amazing!!! The one thing I have noticed about alot of 1911 posts is the inevitable ftf issues I have shot revolvers since I was a kid and have never had an issue! That is why I am kind of leaning towards a SW 627 or a 686. I may give up one round to a 4" barrel?

I wish I could get a Glock 20 to fit my grip! Then I would have the best of both worlds. I could also keep it in my car while out working. Then load it with 200 grain Double Taps by just switching mags when I fish. Does the Glock 20 SF have a slimmer grip? I have never found one at any shop, just the standard 20.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    If you want a G20, and the SF doesn't fit still, consider a grip reduction. There are several places you can send it to that will reduce the grip and reshape it to your needs and specifications.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Between the .357 and .45, I would take the .357 for lions and bears. If you can make a 20 work, good also.
    357and40 and Old School like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Between the .357 and .45, I would take the .357 for lions and bears. If you can make a 20 work, good also.

I wish Springfield would make an XDM in 10mm!!!!!! I like the grips on the XDM series.

I would stick with your revolver as I also carry my Smith&Wesson 686357 when dealing with hogs in my property in Texas. I have taken hogs especially the ones that weigh close to 300 pounds with my 357.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I would stick with your revolver as I also carry my Smith&Wesson 686357 when dealing with hogs in my property in Texas. I have taken hogs especially the ones that weigh close to 300 pounds with my 357.
    What do load in them for hogs?

I picked up a Kahr CW45 yesterday it felt as good in my hand as my EDC SA XDsc. And from the little time I have had the Kahr it can be easily concealed if thats something you are going to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    I picked up a Kahr CW45 yesterday it felt as good in my hand as my EDC SA XDsc. And from the little time I have had the Kahr it can be easily concealed if thats something you are going to consider.
    Concealment is not important to me. This gun will be worn strongside open carry. It would be used mostly as a woods gun and that is why I am leaning toward a rovolver. It seems the most reliable option. If if you by rare chance get a bad shell you just pull the trigger again.

In addition to reliability, with predatory animals you want penetration and you can get a lot more with hot/heavy .357 loads than .45 ACP.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A 1911 has an 8+1 capacity so you actually get a few extra rounds, and faster reload time IMO. Of course, I have never seen a stopwatch in a fight. It all boils down to preference and what you are confident carrying. For me, the 1911 is the winner, but that's just me.

Holy exclamation points Batman!

They make me feel like I'm being yelled at, or stuck in an infomercial.
    10thmtn and JohnLeVick like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Revolver or GLOCK, unless you can snag a 1911 that's been fluffed and buffed already. Probably your best bet is a revolver.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

For predator defense I would go with a .357 over a .45 any day of the week. Sure, a .45 can get the job done, but the .357 will get it done more efficiently.

I'm even considering using my .357 for hunting. Not necessarilly for the gun deer season (until after I get my buck), but it would be a fun alternative for other prey.

Have you considered a 4" Ruger Redhawk? They have been used for many years with good effectiveness for predator control.

But of your choices, I would go for the 357 over the .45 ACP. And the G-20 over both of them.

Like one poster pointed out, you can get a grip reduction done on the Glock to fit your hand if need be. I don't think that's a very expensive mod. Probably cheaper getting the Glock with a grip reduction than buying a Redhawk.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Glock 20 SF

Here is the Glock press release:

Team GLOCK Shooting Squad Captain and Champion shooter Dave Sevigny adds, “I really like the SF design since it approaches the ‘feel’ of the G34, G35 and G17 I have been so fortunate with while competing. GLOCK has another winner here. These pistols will appeal to those who want a powerful cartridge for Law Enforcement, self defense and hunting. Best of all, they have the other GLOCK qualities of reliability, tough Tenifer finish and the controllable GLOCK ‘Safe Action’ fire control system that is successful around the world.” .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links