Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP

This is a discussion on Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an opportunity to grab a functioning wonderful specimen made in 1912. I want it more for the JMB design nostalgia and collector interest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP

Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP

I have an opportunity to grab a functioning wonderful specimen made in 1912. I want it more for the JMB design nostalgia and collector interest to go with my 1914 USGI but it can also be used as a deep conceal pocket weapon much like the p3at and even fits in the desantis nemesis I have for the p3at.

Anyone own one? Can you give me any insight on this? I am getting it for a song so I can't pass it up.

This is not the photo of the actual weapon, just one I found on algoreweb

2. Remove Ads

Looks great for a 100 year old pistol. I hope your's looks as good.

I had the luck to shoot one back in the seventies and it was fun and was as accurate as heck for such a small gun.

Here's a link tha might be of interest:

1908Colt

It would be a safe queen as I have other choices for a BUG.

bosco

I've played with Colt Model 1908 .25 automatics for nearly 30 years now and can say that they are probably the very best .25 ACP pistol ever made. The John Browning design probably has much to do with that. I've had mine for a long time and once kept a second one for a few years. In my experience the Model 1908 delivers the reliable performance that so many claim for their Glocks as I've never had a failure of any kind. The pistol always has functioned and fired properly with nary a single jam. I handload for .25 ACP so my Model 1908 has seen a bit more use than the average .25. It's handled heavy handloads (well, as heavy as one can do in such a tiny case) and readily eats any hollow points I've fed it. I've not tried too many "fancy" factory loads in it though. My little Colt was produced in 1921 and still has its original springs as far as I know.

More here:
    Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP
    azchevy, claude clay and OD* like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

That weapon & The m/1903 and m/1907 are very similar. I have a Husqvarna m/1907 (Colt, FN & Husqvarna all used the JMB design) It is the only 380 I own. All steel, 5" barrel and can put 8 rds through the same hole at 10 yds while juggling chainsaws with my offhand. It is a great design!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've played with Colt Model 1908 .25 automatics for nearly 30 years now and can say that they are probably the very best .25 ACP pistol ever made. The John Browning design probably has much to do with that. I've had mine for a long time and once kept a second one for a few years. In my experience the Model 1908 delivers the reliable performance that so many claim for their Glocks as I've never had a failure of any kind. The pistol always has functioned and fired properly with nary a single jam. I handload for .25 ACP so my Model 1908 has seen a bit more use than the average .25. It's handled heavy handloads (well, as heavy as one can do in such a tiny case) and readily eats any hollow points I've fed it. I've not tried too many "fancy" factory loads in it though. My little Colt was produced in 1921 and still has its original springs as far as I know.

More here:
    Cartridge Discussion: .25 ACP
    Thank you sir

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    bmc said it well.

mine was made in 1914 and does not look as good as your picture...snif, sniff

never carried it but is fun to take out to the range with its bigger brother from the same year(1908-1915). and the 1903 ( 1918)

JMB could make a lever look elegant
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

JMB could make an outhouse look elegant
    ppkheat and joker1 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    Congrats!

Beautifully built little handgun. Solid "old world" Colt quality.

My stupid Uncle traded a beautiful one in on a local Gun Buy Back program for a doggone $25.00 supermarket food gift certificate.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    JMB could make an outhouse look elegant
    i sit corrected.
    357and40 likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I had a chance to buy one, I passed.
    Not that I didn't like it, I just didn't need it.

OD*

1935 vintage Colt catalog.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The fact that the ad calls the .25 Auto cartridge "hard hitting" is funny... I recall reading that the .25 cartridge has been documented to bounce off of a glass coke bottle.
    - Roy Batty

Say, looky there! Shoots the hard-hitting .25 Automatic. I want the hard-hitting kind of ammo. $17.00! What a deal! For that price, stack 'em up until I can't see over the top!

OD*, it says it has three safety features. I'm overlooking a safety. It has a safety lever, a grip safety and what else? Out-of-battery safety?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The fact that the ad calls the .25 Auto cartridge "hard hitting" is funny... I recall reading that the .25 cartridge has been documented to bounce off of a glass coke bottle.
    I've heard that the majority of horror stories regarding the round is the result of poor quality control in the manufacturing plant.
    Somebody had a few old .25 rounds and pulled the bullets to find....some of them had no or little powder in them.

OD*
    That weapon & The m/1903 and m/1907 are very similar. I have a Husqvarna m/1907 (Colt, FN & Husqvarna all used the JMB design) It is the only 380 I own. All steel, 5" barrel and can put 8 rds through the same hole at 10 yds while juggling chainsaws with my offhand. It is a great design!
    Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammer .38 ACP

Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP

Colt Model 1907 U.S. Military Trials .45 ACP

Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP

Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 ACP

(pictures courtesy of Sam Lisker)
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links