My journey in .45ACP

My journey in .45ACP

This is a discussion on My journey in .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the .45ACP round, but have been having trouble finding a carry gun that I really like chambered in it. I first bought ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My journey in .45ACP

My journey in .45ACP

I really like the .45ACP round, but have been having trouble finding a carry gun that I really like chambered in it. I first bought a 1911. I like it, but not crazy about it in a carry gun. The size wasn't an issue, but for the size it was 8+1 capacity. This one was a GI model, so the sights left a lot to be desired. For a range gun, I'd rather have something chambered in a cheaper round. For a carry gun, I'd rather have something DA/SA. I have given serious consideration to a 1911-22 just for fun.

I bought a Glock 30, and there were a lot of things I liked about the gun but ultimately I could not get used to it and could not shoot it well enough for me to feel comfortable carrying it. I didn't like the trigger nor the rear sight, and those were easily fixable but it was just too wide to carry. So why fix the other stuff and spend time and money getting used to shooting it if it was just not carriable for me?

So at this point I have sold both the RIA 1911 and Glock 30. BUT, I'm not giving up on the .45ACP quite yet. I ran across a good deal on a gun I've been reading quite a bit about and has peaked my interest:

It's the Taurus PT845 stainless slide. 12+1 capacity,3 dot sights, has a hammer, is DA/SA with de-cocker, and can also be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. It has full ambi controls and is similar in size to a 1911. It also has a .22lr conversion kit available. That would make for perfect inexpensive plinking time (since I was looking for a semi-auto in .22lr also). It seems to have everything I like in a handgun, so why not. It should be here in a few weeks. I'm anxious to get it and check it out thoroughly and run it through its paces. As soon as it arrives, I'll post some pics and a range report.

As for the Taurus bashers, I've heard it all before and I'm not concerned about it. I have plenty of carry guns, so I have time to test it thoroughly. If it doesn't work out for carry I still have a plinker and I believe I can get my money back out of it. My 709 has been perfect through 1800 rounds so why not give this one a close look since it has everything I like. We'll see soon.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Para Warthog?

10+1 in a 3" 1911

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Good luck and keep us updated
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

If you are not afraid of carrying a Taurus, I would give the PT-145 a look before the 845 for carry. 10+1 of .45acp and is a good size for every day carry. A awful lot of firepower in such a small package. Also, looks like Taurus is coming out with their 24/7 Gen 2 Compacts in .45. I have no experience with them, but they look promising. I own a first generatin PT145 and a first generation 24/7, both in .45, that have been perfect......after several trips to Miami for repairs. I will never, ever purchase another Taurus product....but that's just me. No bash. Just bad personal experience. I still own both because Taurus has the lowest resale value of any gun I've ever owned and I would rather give them away than to accept what I have been offered for them.

Your quest for the perfect .45 carry (non-1911) pistol would end if you looked at the Smith & Wesson M&P .45 Compact (JMO), but you appear to have your heart set on the 845, so good luck in your journey....it gets expensive.

Sounds like you are going to have a fun and interesting journey. Let us know what you purchase.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Based on your comments, if the 845 doesn't work out, I suggest you look at the Sig P220. It is nearly the same size as a government model and is da/sa with decocker. It holds 8+1 and there are factory 10 round mags available. Accuracy is outstanding.

Good luck on your journey!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Based on some of the things you seem to like about the PT845 ("...has a hammer, is DA/SA with de-cocker, and can also be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. It has full ambi controls...") I have a suggestion as well.

HK45 Compact
    Heckler & Koch - USA

or

HK45
    Heckler & Koch - USA

I have handled the HK45 and liked it. Have no experience shooting either, but my experience with my HK USP Compact has been utter reliability. If I lived somewhere I could buy it (ie NOT MA), I'm sure I'd own a HK45c.

Anyway, something you might check out if the PT845 doesn't work out for you.

Take care and stay safe,

NASM

Thanks for the suggestions. If I don't care for this one then the Sig and HK are both on my short list to check out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I hope the Taurus works out for you. I was on a similar quest last year and found that a 3" 1911 filled the bill perfectly.

A Long Strange Trip It might be

I feel you my friend. Have a Colt Series 70 "SAFE QUEEN",would never get rid of it,but living in the South..it's alot of gun to conceal. I do compromise with my Colt OM, when the weather gets cold, but most of the time( 9-10 months of the year)..I'm "Glocked Up". Like you I have no interest in the Glock 45ACP variations, but unlike you I'm too set in my ways to go to a completely different auto platform. Hell, I'd like a 3-3.5" pre-lock Smith Revovler in 45ACP as an alternative in that caliber.Anyway, good luck on the journey. I find the longer I look at different things..the more likely I come home to what I'm comfortable with.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Administrator
    And...there is a .22 LR Top End conversion kit available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Based on your comments, if the 845 doesn't work out, I suggest you look at the Sig P220. It is nearly the same size as a government model and is da/sa with decocker. It holds 8+1 and there are factory 10 round mags available. Accuracy is outstanding.

Good luck on your journey!
    BugDude likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

SA XD45 compact 10+1 or 13+1 just sayin

I like the glock 36 45acp single stack 6+1 with a reload 13 rounds.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Para Warthog?

10+1 in a 3" 1911

Problem with this is it is hard to get a full purchase on this gun and with 45 acp rounds, it is a little hard to control. IMO anyways.

Look up a Ruger P345. Decent price, mag holds 8 plus 1 in chamber. DA/SA. My preferred carry.
    De cocking lever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links