Ruger P95 vs Taurus 809

This is a discussion on Ruger P95 vs Taurus 809 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I was all set and ready to purchase a Ruger P95. I wanted an inexpensive(under $350), reliable, high cap 9mm that was DA/SA and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Ruger P95 vs Taurus 809

Angry Ruger P95 vs Taurus 809

Well I was all set and ready to purchase a Ruger P95. I wanted an inexpensive(under $350), reliable, high cap 9mm that was DA/SA and hammer fired. Main use would be range/house gun. I was sure the P95 was the best option. Now I'm not so sure. Yesterday while browsing guns on the interwebs I came across the Taurus 809. With the little bit of info out there on the 809 I found that most owners have been happy and the pistol performs great. I searched for the best deals I could on each pistol and found that the 809 can be had for only $30 more than the P95. Both come with two mags. The only thing stopping me from ordering the Taurus right now is I'm just not sure if it can be as reliable as the Ruger. I like everything I see about the Taurus better such as...

- Looks better.
    - Mags hold two more rounds than the Ruger.
    - Longer sight radius. Better looking sights imo.
    - The safety/decocker. 809 is mounted on the frame rather than on the slide like on the p95. I like that up = safe, down = safety off.
    - The 809 has three different backstraps that come with it and its grip looks thinner and more comfortable but I would have to hold each to be sure.
    - From what I have read and seen on youtube the 809 has a lighter crisper DA/SA trigger.
    - 809 has two notches on its rail vs the P95's one notch.
    - The 809 mag release is a traditional "press in" type while the P95 has a wierd "push" type.
    - 809 breaks down like a glock, much easier than the Ruger.

Everything about the 809>P95 on paper and to the eye but if it isn't reliable all that doesn't mean a thing. Thats where I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Do any of you have any experience with the 809? Let me know anything you can to help me come to a decision. Thanks!
    Taurus 809

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ruger P95

2. Remove Ads

The P95 is hard to beat for your intended purpose. You can find them used for a great price all day long and they're built like tanks. I haven't handled the 809 yet, but I do have a PT845 on the way. It should be here in a couple weeks. The new Taurus 800 series has had good reviews so far.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I agree that the P95 will be hard to beat for home defense/range gun. I own one that I'm currently considering selling, only because my new carry gun will fill both HD and range gun roles just as well. (SR9c) my p95 was my first pistol purchased, and has not once had any malfunction of any sort. Eats any ammo brand or style I think to put through it. I only owned/shot one Taurus ever, and it was not a good experience, and after two trips back to thier factory, I traded it off for an LCP. OMO YMMV. Anywhere St. Louis, MO and you're welcome to check out my p95. ;)

I have two Taurus guns and would not hesitate to purchase another if that is what I wanted. I have had issues with a Springer, an FNP9, a Kel Tec PF9, and a Taurus, and all were handled fast and professionally. Taurus has the lifetime warranty so they are pretty good at taking care of their products. I have found that CS usually responds to the way that they are approached. If you are terse and grumpy you may not have a good experience regardless of who you are dealing with.

I have a Ruger KP95 and it has been a great gun. I also own a PT145 Taurus. I would go with the Ruger just to avoid the Taurus crappy customer service.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Administrator
    I'd go with the proven commodity, Ruger.
    TN_Mike, DanielC and lowercase like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have several Taurus guns and haven't had any trouble out of any of them, through thousands and thousands of rounds, a 24/7 Pro DS, a PT 111, and a PT738. The P95 is a good gun as well though, reliability should not be an issue. Like you stated, it has a bass ackwards safety mechanism which is a total deal breaker for me. I stick to one method of disengaging safeties, it has to be downward sweeping.

From what I have heard and seen, the 800 series of Taurus guns seem to be doing well. I was seriously considering adding an 845 earlier this year, but came across an used XD 4", which had maybe 200 rds through it for only about 50 bucks more than the 845 would have cost me. So I now have an XD in 45 instead of the 845.

I really like the features ect on the 800 series of Taurus. I have never had to deal with Taurus CS, so I can't comment, other than you will find some that praise them and some that curse them like they ate their first born.

Are you open to other options for your home defense gun? Summit gun broker has some 2, 3rd gen glock 17's for 385, (man I can't believe I am recomending a Glock, lol), and some S&W 4043 for less than 300, some Sig Pros for 350.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_17__369.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/4043.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Sig_2340.html
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ruger

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns!

Plus Ruger is an American made gun and in your price range you can't do much better.
    TN_Mike and CharlesMorri like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I would go with the 809 I like the extra features that it offers.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

If you run a Ruger through a class, you will say "My gun is boringly reliable."

If you run a Tarus through a class, you will say "My gun has never done THAT before" referring to malfunctions, broken parts and so forth.

Go with the Ruger, you won't be sorry.
    TN_Mike, 9mmHP, DanielC and 2 others like this.

I own a Taurus PT145 and a P95. Love them both. If I were you I would go with the Ruger even though the safety is backwards. I leave my safety off because the DA is a pretty long pull. The P95 is a tank for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If you run a Ruger through a class, you will say "My gun is boringly reliable."

If you run a Tarus through a class, you will say "My gun has never done THAT before" referring to malfunctions, broken parts and so forth.

Go with the Ruger, you won't be sorry.

+1 Nothing else needs to be said.....

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'm a great fan of Ruger rifles and revolvers, autos not so much, they've always felt "clunky" to me. (sorry, I just can't seem to describe it another way) But given the customer service horror stories I've heard about Taurus, I'd go with the Ruger. American made anyway, says a lot in my book. Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm gonna go with the Taurus. Gonna look at some pawn shops today to see if they have any SP2022's for cheap, but its not likely they will.

I would go for the Ruger and I will never buy a Taurus again. If you buy the Ruger you will not regret it. On the other hand if you buy the Taurus I can not say the same thing.
    DanielC and CharlesMorri like this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links