Am I over thinking here?

This is a discussion on Am I over thinking here? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - As said previously, practice safe & it'll be safe. Make sure you frequently check your leather (& any other material) holsters to ensure no ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Am I over thinking here?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    As said previously, practice safe & it'll be safe.

Make sure you frequently check your leather (& any other material) holsters to ensure no damage or wear has occurred.

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

...same story with better pictures

Leather Holster Causes Negligent Discharge | Nerd with a .45
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Your over thinking it. The gun isn't going to go off unless the trigger is pulled. Follow proper safety procedures and there's nothing to worry about.

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I carry a Kel tec P11 and a M&P9c.

I have 4 kids, one under the age of 8, and the rest are 16 or older.

This should not be a concern.

Keep the carry weapon either on you, or @ night etc,,, up high and out of sight, or in a pistol safe.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You are over thinking it but, it's not abnormal to do so with a new baby on the way and I wouldn't feel bad about it. Every parent who has a little one about to make its arrival in the world starts looking around and seeing lots of dangers where they didn't see them before.(at least the good ones do) Sometimes it's legitimate, most time it is an overreaction to the eminent birth.

You carry a gun that is safe. It is in a good quality holster that fully covers the trigger guard yes?

Has the gun ever jumped out of the holster of its own volition before and shot someone?....... No?

Then why would it do so now just because there is a brand new human in the house?

We've all seen the recent video of "Tex" Grebner having an ND into his leg on the range. That gun he was drawing has an external safety. It did not stop him from making a mistake. Safeties do not make a gun negligent discharge proof. Training and practice makes YOU negligent discharge resistant, but everyone can screw the pooch if they don't follow safety procedures.

My wife and I both carry guns. I carry either a G23, XD.40 or a CW9 (that's what is on my hip right now). She carries an XD .40 sub compact. The XD's do have a grip safety. The Glock and the Kahr have none. We have 5 kids and no ND at our house ever. We follow our safety procedures religiously.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Overthinking?

There is no such thing as "overthinking" Safety with a gun (or a car, or any other potentially dangerous device). Think about it as long as you need to, research & ask questions as much as you need to, and practice as much as you need to, to make an informed decision. It's the clowns who UNDERthink that we need to worry about.

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member
    I would worry more about the kids bonking heads into the gun as it is on your hip. If not on your hip, they better be in a safe with all those youngins in residence - and if they are not in a safe if not on your hip, now THAT I would worry about.

You will need to be extra cautious. When babies become old enough to crawl around their little fingers can reach into odd places. I had a baby grab a pen out of my front pocket while it's mother was holding it as I walked by. I never saw it happen. You must use extra caution, just like you will baby proofing the rest of the house.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    P.S. My youngest son is an EMT in Montgomery, TX. Where are you, if I may ask?
    I am just south of Ft Worth. And it's HOT here!

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I would worry more about the kids bonking heads into the gun as it is on your hip. If not on your hip, they better be in a safe with all those youngins in residence - and if they are not in a safe if not on your hip, now THAT I would worry about.
    I need to get a safe for all these kids!!! 14,10,5 and another in September!

Quote Originally Posted by sig225 View Post
    You have nothing to worry about, provided you had proper CCW training... I also carry the M&P 9c, and it's one of the nicest carry pistols on the market .....
    What holster do u carry your M&P in?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    As said previously, practice safe & it'll be safe.

Make sure you frequently check your leather (& any other material) holsters to ensure no damage or wear has occurred.

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

...same story with better pictures

Leather Holster Causes
    Negligent Discharge | Nerd with a .45
    Thanks! I had not seen this article.

You just can't be to careful with kids. Just keep the kids on your weak side if possible.
    Question Everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links