Am I over thinking here?

This is a discussion on Am I over thinking here? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just curious to know what you guys think. I carry an M&Pc in a leather IWB holster. I will eventually work a Glock 19 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Am I over thinking here?

Am I over thinking here?

I'm just curious to know what you guys think. I carry an M&Pc in a leather IWB holster. I will eventually work a Glock 19 into the edc rotation. My question is... Is this really a safe way to carry? Typically I don't like external safeties. But, now I have another baby girl coming in October and I'm wondering if I need one? This will be our 4th child but it will be our first since I started carrying. With carrying a baby and at times one walking beside me... Is it really safe? I realize a gun won't go off without someone/something pulling the trigger but lately it's been on my mind as we prepare to bring the baby home. Are there any studies or figures on striker fire type actions going off while reholstering etc... I feel really confident that I can pay attention and not have any problems but i sure don't want to be over confident!

2. Remove Ads

Your over thinking it. The gun isn't going to go off unless the trigger is pulled. Follow proper safety procedures and there's nothing to worry about.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Train your finger and you'll have no problems...it's ALL muscle memory and practice.
    People shoot themselves with Glocks and/or 1911's drawing or reholstering...it's always a 'finger thing'.OMOYMV

When I re-holster my Glock, my mind is even thinking about my shirt not being in the way of the trigger (it has happened, but not to me).
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 23rd, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Your over thinking it. As long as you keep your finger and any foreign objects off the trigger the gun is not going to go off.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yup, just keep your finger off the boom switch and you are good to go

Distinguished Member
    Good info here from our own Limatunes.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Typical anxiety from a soon to be father(again). Happened to me two years ago. Funny thing is, when the birth was near, I was more upset I couldn't carry in the hospital during labor and recovery.

Just think of this as one more very important reason you MUST carry. You have another mouth to feed but also one more to protect.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

RKM
    When I reholster, I ALWAYS do it two handed, preventing my shirt from getting hung up between the trigger and the holster. But that's not only DAO striker pistols, that's ANYHTING. I can reholster one handed, but I choose not to. Any modern day pistol with a firing pin block is 100% safe to carry +1. So to answer your question..... Yes.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Remember, little fingers can get into places big fingers can't. Check your holster, make sure your Smith's trigger guard is covered closely, your finger may be blocked from getting inside the guard while the pistol is holstered, and you know not to place your finger on that area, but just make sure a young child can't get in there while they are playing/climbing on you.

VIP Member
    I carry mostly Glocks. As others have suggested, you don't get bonus points for re-holstering quickly. Take your time, use two hands if you need to, and carry it in a sturdy, high-quality hoster that completely covers the trigger guard. I'm amazed at some of the flimsy junk on the market that's just waiting to bind up.

I've had my (full grown) nieces jump on my back, my son sneak attack me many times, and all they ever got was a bruise and a "what were you thinking?" comment from me. Safety was never compromised.

As far as kids go, if my firearm is not on me, it's locked in a safe.

You are over thinking it....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yeah I feel better about it now! Just need to keep doin what I'm doing. Thanks everyone!

I echo what other's have said, plus---- CONGRATULATIONS, DADDY!!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

P.S. My youngest son is an EMT in Montgomery, TX. Where are you, if I may ask?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Thumbs up

You have nothing to worry about, provided you had proper CCW training... I also carry the M&P 9c, and it's one of the nicest carry pistols on the market .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links