A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229...

This is a discussion on A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my P229 for years and have over 3000 rounds through it without a hiccip AND I have never done any more than ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229...

I have had my P229 for years and have over 3000 rounds through it without a hiccip AND I have never done any more than field strip and clean it. Only detail stripped it once and that was just to se how to do it.. If the screws bother you either buy stainless or have them Cerakoted. Most refinishers do small parts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Stainless grip screws on a Sig

I have some experience with Sigs and have noticed that the stock grip screws can rust. This happened on my P229 so I replaced them with stainless, as shown. This solved the problem.

shooterX likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    2. Some oil (a very small amount) seems to have made its way onto the breach face and possibly in the firing pin channel. It's not runny in any way and was only detected when after touching it my finger came back with a small amount of oil shining on it. Is this problematic? I've since decreased the amount of lube I'm applying, but I'm hoping that this isn't an issue. Also, the round I removed from the chamber also had some oil on it.
    The questions have all been answered, I just wanted to add a little something to this one. Most SIGs are considered "wet" guns, meaning they like a little more lube than others. I was helping teach an NRA basic class and one of the weapons we were using for both the classroom and firing was my SIG 239.

I didn't realize that with all the classroom handing a lot of the lube had been inadvertently removed. During the live fire phase the first couple shooters had FTF with my 239, something I'd NEVER experienced, when I finally realized what had happened I "slopped" some oil on and re-fired the first two folks plus the rest of the class with no problems. SIGs love their lube!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Hey All, New guy here trying to perform some discovery via the internet.

This thread caught my attention as well, looking for information on rail wear with the P229. I too am concerned about any new weapon that "scrapes off" a protective coating to bed in or allow parts to mate in less than five thousand rounds (yes, some is a good thing ... but there is a limit).

I notice that Gray Guns states the following on their page about SIG rail maintenance:

#7 Dull Silver – You’re screwed. Your anodizing has worn completely through in the areas you see dull anodizing. From here on your frame is unprotected and it’s time to buy a new gun. It may still shoot and function perfectly, but your frame rails will continue to wear at a much accelerated rate.

I recently purchased a new P229ED and have a (what I would call) a pretty severe case of rail wear (metal is actually indented and I can feel a riser or burr on the slide channel) after one hundred rounds fired. I also have a P226 combat that doesn't have a mark on it's rails after approximately one thousand rounds. I have read the other postings that say: This is normal wear and do not be concerned, but I also know that many people eat at Mc Donalds ... even though it is death in a food like form.

My question is this: If a major gunsmith, like GrayGuns says one thing about aluminum frame wear on a SIG and the general population accepts the rails as the "just happen to mate that way" mentality what would be the actual warranty point for the weapon? I would think that a properly machined slide would bed in as my P226 did (see attached pictures). Constructive feedback appreciated! Thanks!

Link to picts: Pictures by SPIN1963 - Photobucket

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Spin, looking at your first two pictures I wasn't concerned, but the second two looked like galling rather than friction. Did you inspect the rail area before shooting? Was the burr evident when new? Is the wear area rough or smooth? I'm suspecting that maybe the burr is the cause, that it was actually there from the factory and it ate into the anodizing on the frame. While Sig states that cases like this are "the norm", I haven't found that to be true with the four Sigs I've owned. It's more like the "new norm" from them in the last few years.

I purchased two P229 SCT's from them in the 2010/'11 and neither has showed the wear on the rails as other owners pistol's have; I use grease exclusively on pistol rails. I would contact Sig CS directly on this matter and provide pictures.

Hey Matthew! The first two pictures are of my very healthy P226 combat for reference as to what good rails look like on a correctly manufactured weapon. The second two pictures are of the brand new P229ED that I just purchased, and feel the damage is very severe. I cleaned the weapon (P229), lubed it with TW25B, and took it to the range firing only one hundred rounds ... then home for a detailed strip, clean, and relube. During that operation I used a plastic stylus to examine the slide to see "What" could have caused such rapid wear/damage on the rails and there I found burrs on both sides of the slide channel. The damaged area on the rails is deep into the frame material, very coarse, and even has some channeling. I am with your opinion on the burr being on the slide from the factory.

I provided pictures to both a sales rep and to CS ... today is phone tag day.

SIG just sent the weapon back and I am trying to raise the customer service manager "Scott" who does not seem to be available to take any calls ... SIG CS likes to stonewall customers. Also, their "gunsmiths" (I use the term lightly) turned the weapon around so fast they could in no fashion have looked at the slide, they racked the slide, said: looks normal, and sent it packing back to me.

Thank you for the reply.
    Last edited by SPIN1963; November 8th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    1. This is my first time carrying it, and found that the grip screws on the side facing my body were rusted out. I was carrying it IWB and these are the stock screws. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent further rusting?
    If they are truly "rusted out", as opposed to just showing a few flecks of tarnish, then this is not okay. Yes, carrying IWB and getting some sweat on the metal parts can lead to corrosion, but heavy rusting should not be happening to treated metal parts.

2. Some oil (a very small amount) seems to have made its way onto the breach face and possibly in the firing pin channel. It's not runny in any way and was only detected when after touching it my finger came back with a small amount of oil shining on it. Is this problematic? I've since decreased the amount of lube I'm applying, but I'm hoping that this isn't an issue. Also, the round I removed from the chamber also had some oil on it.
    Are you using lube (which means grease) or are you using oil? A little bit of oil isn't going to kill your firing pin unless, maybe, you are shooting a lot and introducing a lot of potential fouling into the firing pin channel.

3. There are some significant wear marks showing themselves on the frame rails in between the takedown lever and the muzzle end of the frame. The area seems to be rubbed to the point that it's a silver-ish color and looks to be about half an inch long. This appears on both sides of the frame. I can't really feel the area physically, and if it can be felt, it's fairly hard to sense. I keep the frame rails lubed so I'm not sure that that is the problem. I've got about 700 rounds through it.
    This tells me you are not, in fact, using grease, or at least not nearly enough. SIG frame rails need heavy grease, otherwise you will wear out the anodizing on the aluminum and this will wreck your pistol beyond repair. The shiny silver spots may already be too far gone. Let me reiterate; SIG anodized frames need grease on the rails—tetra grease, lithium grease, Slide Glide (my personal favorite)—not oil. Please see this article:

* Grayguns: Lubrication of SIG Pistol Rails

Grayguns is one of the premier SIG gunsmiths anywhere, period. I will take their recommendations on anything related to maintaining and running a SIG pistol.

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Wow, man I hope they take care of you, it's a shame the direction Sig is taking now. Did you see where the Dutch Ministry of Justice cancelled their order of Sig P250's (40,000). The language was extremely harsh in criticism of Sig not being able to mass produce a quality weapon for them. It would be smart for them to ditch Cohen and his poor business practices and get the company back on track. I've had nothing but good luck with every Sig I've owned, but I guess I've just been lucky because even the classic P Series pistols seem hit or miss these days.

Yes, sadly I did hear a little about it. If I were the president of SIG I would be on the shop floor working OT to get things right. I have found that after years of working in machine tool manufacturing, and sales that business people have no place in it. Craftsmen should be there ... business people should stay in the office.

I finally got through today to a gentleman at SIG that I know cares about SIG and their weapons (I got there by actually blind dialing through the factory floor, that gentleman gets a big A+ for the transfer of my call, and showing concern about the weapon he builds). The man I was transfered too has worked with me on the problems I had with my P226 Combat about a year ago, and He did the right thing with this P229ED. I have nothing but praise for him, his attitude, and his solution. The customer service (CS) function will also get a mention of their issues, but I will say this: Two of the people I worked with in CS will get honorable mentions because their hands are tied by policy not ethic (you could tell in their voice).

I will update this continuing event. I also will be going over the next P229ED slide with a fine tooth comb, might even just send the weapon to Grayguns for a good going over and setup.
    Last edited by SPIN1963; November 9th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPIN1963 View Post
    might even just send the weapon to Grayguns for a good going over and setup.
    That's a fantastic idea. From what I've seen they make a good pistol perfection.

Update on the P229ED ... SIG is in process of replacing the weapon after much ado. It will be going to Grayguns after receipt. The shown rail wear "IS NOT" normal. The end!

That's good news spin, glad they took care of the issue and I'm sure Bruce will bring it to perfection. If you are on Sig Forum he's running a great special package right now for members.

VIP Member
    I am sure that grayguns does a fine job, but like many others on the sig boards I think that the dude puts way too much lube in those examples. With that much lube it would be all over your hands. As far as the OP, that firearm is just fine. Let her rip and change out the screws if you like.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    no big worries on these issues they are normal
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

If a pistol has oil lube on rails from a couple of weeks ago cleaning and you go out for a several box range session, probably a good idea to apply some more oil. I also believe a good idea to be especially mindful of adequate lube on a new pistol, as the parts have not had time to wear in.

I have five Sigs, three with folded slides and two with solid slides. Nice enough pistols, but I recently purchased a CZ PCR. Except for creepy trigger I like the CZ much better than my Sigs. And at significantly less cost.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links