A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229...

This is a discussion on A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; jack, you'd be better off running your Sigs with grease on the rails rather than oil, a steel slide running on aluminum rails causes quite ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229...

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    jack, you'd be better off running your Sigs with grease on the rails rather than oil, a steel slide running on aluminum rails causes quite a bit of wear on the frame.

2. Remove Ads

Hey all! The saga continues ... here is the replacement P229ED that SIG returned to my hot hands (see video). Unfortunately, I believe that it has the same problem as the original and I have not shot the weapon due to this condition. I have posted my video to see what everyone thinks (I think it is two machine marks. These irregularities are the source of the frame damage IMHO. There are two (one being in the same location on both rt & lft channels of the slide, the video shows the worst case).

DSCN0528.mp4 video by SPIN1963 - Photobucket

Private message sent.

Well, the replacement P229ED is now back at SIG ... I am totally soured on the P229 with an aluminum frame now.

I have asked for SIG to replace it with a Stainless Steel model and for it to be looked at by the custom shop before being sent out (I feel it is the least customer service can do at this point).

I have 5 Sig P series pistols at the moment and have put over 5000 rounds through one of my P226's. NEVER use oil on the rails of any Sig Sauer pistol. I've been using Tetra lube grease on all of my Sigs for years now and not one of them has the finish wearing off the rails. Flork's lube guide is a great start to properly maintaining these pistols.

That sounds like the way to go at this point. One would think since Sig had to replace a lemon that someone up there would at least once over what was going out as a replacement so that a customer could be retained. Having a replacement show up with the exact same issue is shameful. I want so badly to see Sig go back to their once great reputation.

The guy I have been working through at SIG finally got his hands on the returned P229ED and we have reached an agreement to have it replaced again with another model. He has again shown himself to be a Top Notch" guy who really cares about customers and SIG as a reputable company.

Good news, I'm glad you and the company could come to an agreement. I've been a Sig shooter/carrier since I turned 21 and have a long standing love of the P229, (I've owned 3 over the years). While I've never had an issue with a Sig pistol I've owned, I'm pretty disappointed with what is going on in Exeter. To watch a product go from being the Rolls Royce of handguns to being hit or mis over and over is tough. I hope they can turn things around, but a lot of damage has been done to their reputation.

On a bright note though My P229 SCT is still running like a Sig should, without malfunction an more often than not on target.

Post up some pics when your new one arrives.

Distinguished Member
    This may be a help: Grip screw heresy!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Wow! You will not believe this: The replacement finally arrived and it was the wrong gun ... incredible! Customer Service managed to bypass the guy I worked with and even after sending an email stating: I had gotten a spurious email "citing the wrong weapon being ordered" SIG CS sent it out. Also, incredible was the replacement gun had a chipped barrel (nice dent right in the outside chamber land) and had not been checked out before shipping. We (SIG and I) are now going on five months to get this resolved ... I am totally at a loss on SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by SPIN1963 View Post
    Wow! You will not believe this: The replacement finally arrived and it was the wrong gun ... incredible! Customer Service managed to bypass the guy I worked with and even after sending an email stating: I had gotten a spurious email "citing the wrong weapon being ordered" SIG CS sent it out. Also, incredible was the replacement gun had a chipped barrel (nice dent right in the outside chamber land) and had not been checked out before shipping. We (SIG and I) are now going on five months to get this resolved ... I am totally at a loss on SIG.
    Man I did not need to read this post, I bought a new p229 today and pick it up saturday. I have always had glocks and now am beginning to question this purchase. Hope I get a good one.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIN1963 View Post
    Got any pictures? I'm curious to see the "chip" and "dent". What gun did you get and what was it supposed to be?

Wow, sorry to hear about your issues. I love my sig. Florks lube is the way to go. I put clear fingernail polish on the screws. No rust issues, and they no longer back out.

Spin, I was wondering how your new Sig was doing, I guess not so good. Post up some pics of the latest fiasco for us to admire. I know it's been a pain, but it will work out. Just a matter of time and level of frustration.

I'm with bubba, what showed up and what was it supposed to be. I still can't believe they aren't checking on a pistol they are sending as the third replacement after screwing up twice before. One would think they would want a satisfied customer at some point in this saga.

Well, here it is finally! Only took five months to get it all straight (incredible) ... I just dunno what to say. Hey Bubba, sorry I took all those original shots down ... I will just say the rails looked like they were dragged behind a car. 50~100 rounds took them down to bare aluminum. The replacement had a chip out of the chamber block the size of a pencil point.

I am posting the picts on pict hosting site as I type. The custom shop did a great job, no thanks to customer service.

The final unit consists of:

SRT w/AEP, Barrel fitting, recrown, Blk nitron job, and aluminum grips ... it looks great and shoots even better (check the target). How crazy can it be. LOL

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSCN0625.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links