A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229...

This is a discussion on A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so after inspecting my P229, I've noticed a few issues. 1. This is my first time carrying it, and found that the grip screws ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A few concerns with my relatively new SIG P229...

Alright, so after inspecting my P229, I've noticed a few issues.

1. This is my first time carrying it, and found that the grip screws on the side facing my body were rusted out. I was carrying it IWB and these are the stock screws. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent further rusting?

2. Some oil (a very small amount) seems to have made its way onto the breach face and possibly in the firing pin channel. It's not runny in any way and was only detected when after touching it my finger came back with a small amount of oil shining on it. Is this problematic? I've since decreased the amount of lube I'm applying, but I'm hoping that this isn't an issue. Also, the round I removed from the chamber also had some oil on it.

3. There are some significant wear marks showing themselves on the frame rails in between the takedown lever and the muzzle end of the frame. The area seems to be rubbed to the point that it's a silver-ish color and looks to be about half an inch long. This appears on both sides of the frame. I can't really feel the areaphysically, and if it can be felt, it's fairly hard to sense. I keep the frame rails lubed so I'm not sure that that is the problem. I've got about 700 rounds through it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I hope I'm just being paranoid, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some peace of mind.

Here are some pictures of the slide wear:

This happens on both sides of the frame at the exact same distance from the muzzle end of the frame. The wear on both sides is very similar.

Switch to stainless steel screws or get a holster with a sweat shield.

IMO the "wear" looks cosmetic.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This thread caught my attention because I too have interest in the sig p229. One of the things that I had heard is that they are require extra maintenance, especially with regards to lubrication. On another forum, I saw the link below as being reviewed as one of the best tutorials on how to properly care for the P229. One of the topics of discussion was the wearing on the rails, which is an issue with the P229. The author of the linked article recommends using grease instead of oil and also has diagrams and pictures showing how and where to apply it. Here is the link: Flork's Lubrication Recommendation - Topic

I've had a P229 for 2 years now, no problems whatsoever as with all of my Sigs.

1- grips screws can happen- replace stainless if it bothers you
    2- this is possible with ANY pistol - just use a bit more discretion with the oil bottle
    3 - some frame wear is to be expected with a steel slide riding on an alloy (or plastic) frame. As long as it halts and doesn't become worse that those pictures show, I wouldn't worry about it.

I believe you should use grease on ALL automatics in the frame/rail area. Try TW25B or Slide Glide.

Senior Moderator
    Dab some car wax on the screws and polish them. It'll sweatproof them for awhile.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    The slide wear is normal. It will only wear so far and stop, usually during the first few hundred rounds. Many of us use grease on the rails as added protection, but it's not totally necessary. There really isn't any extra care they need.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I've had my P229/.40 since 1997...

1. Normal. Get SS screws, otherwise, when you clean, put some solvent there, brush it out.
    2. Normal. Do not sweat it.
    3. Normal. You've got metal on metal...and the gun is used, you're going to see some wear.

No problems...enjoy shooting your SIG
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    The others have already said it, and I approve their messages.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 23rd, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
    C hawk Glock and shooterX like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I've had my P229/.40 since 1997...

1. Normal. Get SS screws, otherwise, when you clean, put some solvent there, brush it out.
    2. Normal. Do not sweat it.
    3. Normal. You've got metal on metal...and the gun is used, you're going to see some wear.

No problems...enjoy shooting your SIG
    Don't have a P229 myself, but my Dad and Father-in-Law both have them and I've shot and maintained them considerably. The above advice is absolutely accurate. Keep the slide well, but not overly, lubricated and switch to stainless grip screws.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    especially at locations of high stress, metal rubbing together will 'get use to each other' after a few hundred rounds. the slide/frame fit may than feel a tad loose but unless accuracy is diminished,
    than its just a few shiny spots than mean nothing. you may find that the best SD ammo is not the most accurate. and these guns are very accurate as a rule. mine is a p239/40 that i often drop in the 357SIG or 9mm BBL for IDPA games.

plus like the bugman said--and I approve their messages
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

All normal stuff. My 228 likes to run "wet". Get some stainless crews or be more careful cleaning.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My sig 229 came with a little tube of Militec...

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

It only requires a very small amount to do a heck of a job with it...

Personally, I use Hoppes, but (i dont know if they still do) at one time Sig recommended Militec.

Sigs do need more lubrication than the average bear...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

For #1, I put a small square piece of black duct tape over the grip screws to keep the sweat off and prevent rust...."no more problem"! Love my Sigs!!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    What has been stated is correct: The wear marks you've noticed are common, the rails will wear to a point and then not worsen further. Grease the rails, Sig's like to be run wet; watch where you oil and how much around the chamber and breach face; wax the grip screws, but if you change to stainless be very careful when tightening them you can bugger up the frame. Shoot the heck out of it, the P229 is a fine and accurate handgun. I've owned three P229s and one P239 and carry a P229 SCT often.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links