Breakin' in the Kimber Ultra CDP II

This is a discussion on Breakin' in the Kimber Ultra CDP II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really liking this little 3in .45 ACP 1911, so I wanted to post my break in period malfunction report. Federal Ammunition 230g FMJ Kim-pro ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Breakin' in the Kimber Ultra CDP II

Thumbs up Breakin' in the Kimber Ultra CDP II

I'm really liking this little 3in .45 ACP 1911, so I wanted to post my break in period malfunction report.

Federal Ammunition 230g FMJ
    Kim-pro Tac-Mag
    1: FF 1st Round
    2:none
    3:none
    4:none
    5:none
    6:none
    7:none
    8:none
    9:none
    10:none
    11:none
    12:none
    13:none
    14:none
    Stripped/Cleaned/Lubed
    15:none
    16:none
    17:none
    18:none
    19:none
    20:none
    21:none
    22:none
    23:none
    24:none
    25:none
    26:none
    27:none
    28:none
    29:none
    30:none
    Stripped/Cleaned/Lubed

GOOD FIRST TRIP TO THE RANGE! Shot 210 with only one malf, which appears have to be my fault releasing the slide for the first time.

CHL Qualifying:
    Shot 50 rounds of Federal 230g FMJ
    48 flawless rounds through kimpro tac-mag
    2 Malfs with brand new Wilson Combat 47D- 1 FF / 1 slide locked back.

Having shot 260 rounds of ball: 3 malfs.
    I let my Wilson Combat mags #1 and #2 sit fully loaded for a week to break them in before my final session.
    I alternated mags this final session.

Federal 230g FMJ
    1:Kimpro-none
    2:WC #1 -FF 2nd and 3rd
    3:WC #2 -FF 2nd and 3rd
    4:Kmp-none
    5:w1 -none
    6:w2 -none
    7:kmp-none
    8:w1 -FF 7th
    9:w2 -none
    10:kmp-none
    11:w1 -none
    12:w2 -FF 5th
    13:kmp-none
    14:w1 -none
    15:w2 -none
    16:kmp-none
    17:w1 -none
    18:w2 -FF 7th
    19:kmp-none
    20:w1 -none
    21:w2 -none
    <Stripped/Cleaned/Lubed>
    22:kmp-none
    23:w1 -none
    24:w2 -none
    25:kmp-none
    26:w1 -none
    27:w2 -FF 7th
    28:kmp-none
    29:w1 -none
    30:w2 -none
    31:kmp-none
    32:w1 -none
    33:w2 -none

Switched to Remington UMC 230g JHP
    34:kmp-none
    35:w1 -none
    36:w2 -FF 7th

Switched to Hornady Critical Defense 185g
    37::kmp-none
    38:w1 -none

Switched to Speer Gold Dot 230g JHP
    39:kmp-none
    40:w1 -none

Finished up with 280 rounds, totaling 540 and ending my break in period with 11 mafs, which comes to a percentage of .02%. All the FFs were remedied by tapping the mag. It's pretty obvious to me the only issues were coming from the new Wilson Combat mags, I will carry the kimpro and use w#1 as my reload. I think w#2 needs more rounds through it. As for my carry ammo, I'll be using a mix of Gold Dot and Crit. Defense.

Well done Kimber, I'm diggin' this ultra concealable, reliable 1911.

Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Ads

Can we agree to limit the use of abbreviations in the pursuit of clarity?

No issues with your detailed range report, BUT... does your "FF" notation mean Failure to Feed, Failure to Fire, or French Fries?

You took great pains to type out the history of 73 or so rounds fired, but you had to use an ambiguous abbreviation?

And while I'm at it (rendering apologies in advance), 11 failures in 540 rounds is a failure rate of TWO PERCENT, or 2.0%, not 0.02% which is TWO HUNDREDTHS of a percent.

Back on topic, my CDP Pro II at 1000+ rounds has yet to choke on anthing I feed it, once I stopped using the trashy mag Kimber supplied. Sounds like the Kimpro mag is a step above the OEM issue. Wilson 47D and Tripp Cobra mags work great in my CDP and the other 2 1911s in the armory.
    preachertim likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've meant to get a little log book for my weapons to at least keep track of round counts. A very thorough report.
    Gives me confidence in my desire to get a Kimber of my own although I will be fighting with the wife about who gets to carry it, and apparently having two is off the table (I thought it was a good idea for the sake of compromise). Will probably go with the Compact CDP II instead of the Ultra, although my brother's Ultra Tactical was a blasty-blast.

VIP Member
    FWIW, I've learned the expensive way that Wilson 47D's are not the end-all-be-all of 1911 magazines.

I ordered 4 for my 3" ATI, and found that they had a tendancy to nose-dive on hollow points in that gun. The ACT-MAG that the gun comes with fed flawlessly, so I turned around and ordered a stack of those too.

I guess there are occasions where the manufacturer knows what they're doing.

Same thing here, had a colt that hated them. chip mccormicks worked great, lots of failure to feeds with the 30 dollar wilsons. in other guns they worked better.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That should be a very, very good idea!

I use Wilson 47D mags and they work flawlessly.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That was an impressive log! I confess that I just pull the trigger and it always goes bang, without fail, each and every time.

Thank you smitty for being not only the grammar police, but also the math police. Well done Sir! I'm sure you're truly a joy to be around!

FF = Failure to Feed French Fries. lol

I'm impressed by the Kimpro Tac-Mag. The price is usually a few bucks cheaper and you get a variety of base plates with and without bumpers, which is a really great idea.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't quite understand why there is so much stuff out there on the net saying things like 3in 1911s are "uncharted territory", "the shorter the barrel, the more problems you will have", and "stay away"...etc...etc. It seems like these things have been around for a decade or more now and are working well for most.

No issues with your detailed range report, BUT... does your "FF" notation mean Failure to Feed, Failure to Fire, or French Fries?

You took great pains to type out the history of 73 or so rounds fired, but you had to use an ambiguous abbreviation?

And while I'm at it (rendering apologies in advance), 11 failures in 540 rounds is a failure rate of TWO PERCENT, or 2.0%, not 0.02% which is TWO HUNDREDTHS of a percent.

Back on topic, my CDP Pro II at 1000+ rounds has yet to choke on anthing I feed it, once I stopped using the trashy mag Kimber supplied. Sounds like the Kimpro mag is a step above the OEM issue. Wilson 47D and Tripp Cobra mags work great in my CDP and the other 2 1911s in the armory.

Sounds like a good report. I had an ultra carry and it worked best with the Kimpro mags, never malfunctioned with the tacpro's. I also had wilson's but had an ocassional FTF with them after a while. I heard it's a weaker mag spring in the wilson causing it. I'd recommend replacing the springs in the wilson with stronger ones from Wolfe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    "Failure to Feed French Fries" would be "FFFF"

On a more serious note, on the Ultras, Kimber recommends swapping out the recoil spring at around 1,000 rounds or so. When it (recoil spring) starts to get weak, you will notice, among other things, that the slide will not go forward completely back into battery at the end of the recoil cycle. My two Raptor Pro's both came with recoil springs that were short--a QC issue. Once I replaced them, both have been flawless. The ISMI flat-spring (bouth as a kit from Evolution gun works) on the commander sized models is rated for 40,000 rounds.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

My UCII has been very reliable with the factory mags. I also shoot it with a couple of 8 round Tripp Cobra mags which I sometimes carry as reloads. With the 3 inch 1911 pay attention to the recoil spring and make sure it likes whatever round you're feeding it, although mine has shot pretty much whatever I've run through it.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

2 Kimbers, including Ultra Carry II. No malfunctions with factory mags over several hundred rounds. Ultra is my EDC
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Have 300 rounds through mine with only Blazer Brass 230 grain ammo and have 0 FTF's. I am a kimber fan.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

My Pro CDP II

I've had about a 2% failure rate during my first 800 rounds. My last 600 rounds were while I was taking a defensive hand gun/tactical hand gun class. The instructors were not very high on me carrying a 3 in 1911 chambered in 9mm. They were even less thrilled with the Kimber OEM magazines. Unfortunately, one of the failures was the bottom falling OFF one of the mags while I was racking the slide. It looks like it just let go at the bottom. So, I've moved over to the Wilson Combat EMT 8rd mags. The Wilson mags for my Pro CDP II work flawlessly, so I'm planning for the same reliability once I get rid of these less-than-stellar Kimber mags. I'm quite disappointed in the quality of the magazines. I'm coming up on my spring recoil replacement... Should I consider another brand? I'm a little hesitant to as I believe it voids the warranty.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have several of the Kimber CDPs, from the Micros to the full size Government Sized guns.
    I use Wilson Combat 47Ds, Tactical Elites and the 47OXCs with mine.
    That way the follower doesn't chew up my Aluminum feed ramp and I get 100% reliable feeding and Extraction.

You have to not like your gun to use the factory, Shooting Star or mags with similar followers in your Aluminum Framed Guns.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links