Defensive Carry banner

Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ????

26K views 79 replies 58 participants last post by  GunByte 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just looking for your opnions on the pocket pistols you trust enough to carry.

I picked up an LCP for $200.00 couldn't pass it up. I really don't shoot it well past say 15' or so, however my wife can tear stuff up with it. She is confident with it out of the box. I recently installed a Crimson Trace laser and I still shoot like crap and she still smokes what ever she aims at.

Well, she rently received her CC and I no longer pocket carry an LCP. I recently looked at Smith & Wesson Body Guards but found them to be far from amicable as well. Then I found the Sig 238 Whoa!!! the price blew me away but I rented it at the local gun range anyway. I LIKE THE WAY SHE FEELS. I shot this baby as well as my G26 & G30 I love the night sight that are factory installed. I have two issues one is price but I can justify that if I can overcome the second problem. I have heard alot about reliability issues with this weapon. has Sig de-bugged this weapon yet?

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

#2 ·
My wife carries a P238 half time wth a 38 stub. She loves it and all of the family shoot it at the range because it feels good in your hands. We have 400 or so down the tube and no FTF OF FTE. I have a Colt Mustang in the safe and I am tempted to pocket carry a little in shorts. We like the SIG.

#3 ·
I have a P238 and not real impressed with it. To be fair, I have one of the early ones and perhaps I need to send it back to SIG for work, but it's not nearly as reliable as my Kahr P380. I've heard very good things about the S&W B380. One thing I like is they have real sights. The laser seems useless the way it's set up, but lots of companies are starting to make aftermarket sights for it. The P238 is probably the best shooting 380 on the market but the reliability is just not as good as it should be in my opinion.

#4 ·
i have two friends with LCP's. I tried them didn't like a few things about them and i did like that they were small and light so when I purchased a "pocket gun" I opted for the Bodyguard. I love it but I must say I never tried the Sig. My Bodyguard is now my EDC.

#8 ·
My edc is a Taurus TCP 738. I totally trust it. I've never had a problem with Cor-Bon ammo in it. It's my edc because I never have to leave it at home because it's too big, bulky, or heavy. It's not my only carry gun however. Depending on circumstances I will carry my Glock 26 in addition.

#9 ·
My mother in law has an LCP... can't stand the thing. It is not comfortable for me to shoot at all, so obviously I don't shoot it well.

Love the P238, as with the Colt Mustang. I will be picking up a P238 eventually, but since I don't pocket carry it isn't very high on my priority list.

#11 ·
I do not have the Sig238 but I do know one owner. He likes his just fine and like you had sticker shock. When he purchased his he was unaware of any issues but he liked the way it felt and carried. He trust his enough to use it as a BUG while on duty as a LEO.
While others choose not to carry a 380 I say carry what feels good in your hand and what you trust. I know that if I don't like the way a gun feels in my hand I won't enjoy shooting it.

#12 ·
I have the Ruger LCP and Kahr P380 that I pocket carry a lot in the summer. I also have the Kahr PM9, but don't find it to be a comfortable pocket carry. I originally looked at the Sig P238, but the manual safety is a real deal breaker for me. I don't like safeties on defensive guns in general and I don't like a thumb safety on a pocket pistol. I would try a few at the store to see which one you are most comfortable carrying. Range time would be even better.

As for .380ACP as a defensive round, it may not be everyone's choice in minimum caliber, but I'm in the camp that carrying is more important than not carrying.

#14 ·
My response to all .380 threads: Kahr PM9. For the slight size difference you get a better, more accurate gun. You can buy cheaper and more diverse ammo. For those who moan about the price difference there is the CM9. Do not choose a handgun based on price unless we are talking about custom 1911s and that is a matter of what it is worth to you.

#16 ·
Rgarding the .380 being to small. It looks bigger when its pointed at you.

I rarely carry .380 as a primary defense weapon, however I like the accessibility of them especially as a pocket carry in an appropriate holster. I like the pocket carry holster by Hunter that prints just like a wallet. The LCP I was using slides out easily and was a great choice for close quarters self defense. I do have a .38 snub Air Weight I just really haven't seen any pocket holsters that work well IMO. I do ankle carry my .38 especially when going to places I have to dress up. It conceals nicely with slacks And I prefer the .38 over the .380 just my preference.

Primary of choice is a G30sf
Back up of choice G26 or G19
Pocket Carry of choice May still be an LCP but I really like the way the SigP238 opperated for me when it rented it at the range. I'm sure I will end up with 2 more guns and extra LCP & a P238 its all good

#49 ·
Rgarding the .380 being to small. It looks bigger when its pointed at you.
Yep, I have yet to see anyone who claims a certain caliber is not a fight stopper volunteer to get shot by one. I used to be in that camp too, but I have re-assessed my views.

It's like we always assume a 6'5 350lb crackhead will be the one who decides to kill us for no reason. I don't know about most of you, but I don't frequent places that 350lb crackheads go to very often. If you do, then I understand your reason for carrying a .45 or .454 casull for that matter. But for the vast majority of people, a .380 will do the job.

Reactions: Sister and Rhcmlc
#18 ·
Zero problems with my P238. Bought it when they first came out, 516 bucks out the door. Thing is accurate, easy to conceal and even though its a 380. I sure wouldn't want to get shot with one. Remember it is not the size of the bullet but the placement of the shot that counts.

#23 ·
I'm not looking to argue caliber, and I respect anyone's personal carry decision, but the shot placement argument doesn't fly. You can't imagine in a life threatening situation how much your knees and arms turn to liquid rubber. You can stand at the range and blow holes inside of holes all day at paper targets pinned to the wall, but when all of a sudden, you find yourself clearing leather because some ****head just whipped out a pistol and is focused on you, then whatever gun you have will feel very small, and you will be lucky to hit anything. I just speak from experience. I never even realized there were three guys because I was so dialed in on #1. Why sell yourself short on a sub-par caliber when it's no stretch to carry something that is an actual proven effective round? Why carry 6+1 ineffective rounds when you could easily carry 14+1 proven show stoppers? I'm sorry because I really don't want to debate it. Like I said earlier, it's a personal decision and I respect that, but I hate to see people delude themselves as to the level of their skills and personal safety when they've already made the decision to get legal and carry. If .380's were so great, then you'd see them used by all manner of LE, but they never do. They are a proven ineffective round, and it's foolish to argue their merits.

#20 ·
I carry a S&W BG380 with FMJ's and yesterday just purchased a new Diamondback DB9 which is just about the same size as my BG380. I agree with what 10thmtn as said above, plus you have to remember that guns are very poor one shot stoppers. Heck, you see people getting shot with a 45 once or twice COM and still walking around. Again as 10thmtn has said "Tactics such as the zipper or Mozambique drill really make caliber arguments silly." With my BG380 I have 6+1 and an 6 round extra magazine. If I need more than that, then it is time to do some KUNG FU :danceban: !!!! God Bless :smile:

#21 ·
I have an early Sig 238 and it has been flawless.
I've read so many stories, I keep thinking mine should fail, but it never has.
Here's the plus side.
1. Looks good.
2. Slide locks back on last round.
3. Has real sights.
4. Can be had with night sights.
5. Very, very mild recoil.
6. Easy slide to rack.
7. Perfect gun for a lady, but I like it too.

Here's the minus.
1. It's S/A only. Must be carried with the safety on, or rack the slide to use. I'd always use a pocket holster that covers the safety.
2. I'm not sure I'd call it a real pocket gun. Yeah, it will fit in your pocket, but I now carry a Seecamp.

#22 ·
I love my P238 for concealed carry. Super accurate and mine has been very reliable. I carry either in a pocket holster or an El Paso Saddlery OWB holster depending upon my choice of clothing that day.

As with any gun and caliber you choose, you need to train with it and know its (and yours) limitations.

#27 ·
Some people just cannot conceal or afford a larger weapon than a .380 Auto. Therefore, a Ruger LCP, Sig Sauer P238/P232 or similar handgun in this caliber would be perfect for them. A .380 pistol loaded with the right ammo and the proper training is enough to save anyone's life. A well placed shot of .380 in between the eyes or at the heart is just as effective as a 9mm.

#28 ·
Again, I believe that shot placement goes out the window as adrenaline rises, rendering a perfect placed shot to the heart or head something that can't be relied on. I choose to not limit myself to a (in my opinion) substandard caliber weapon for self defense. I don't want to have to rely on perfect shot placement to save my life. Everything in CC is a choice. I choose to carry nothing smaller than 9mm for SD.

#29 ·
If you get a good 238 I think you will be fine. They have had some issues, don't know if they are over them or not.

I got to shoot a Bodyguard this past weekend. A buddy picked one up and Saturday we went out to shoot so I tried it out. The trigger is absolutely horrible. Long isn't even a good description for it. Once I got past that, I was actually surprised at how accurate it was out of the box. He has the one with the built laser. Not for me, but it is his gun. I turned it off and just used the factory sights.

Like I said the trigger is long. Half way through the pull, I stopped let off of the trigger and checked to make sure that there was a round chambered. Seriously, the trigger is long. So once I figured that part out, and got through an entire magazine. I was pretty surprised at how accurate the gun is if you do what you're supposed to. From 20/25 ft or so, I was able to put an entire magazine into an area about the size of a half dollar. They all impacted about 1 inch high of the X I was aiming at. This was standing, both hands and taking deliberate time to make sure I was were I was supposed to be when the trigger broke and let the round fly.

There were no issues with the gun its first time being fired. I am not sure how many rounds total he put through it, but it probably wasn't more than 150 or so. This was shooting S&B 92 gr, I think. If I was looking for a .380 and didn't have my PT238, I would consider a Bodyguard.

LCP is also worth looking at.

Good luck with your decision.

#30 ·
I have a P238, I put the hoque rubber grips on it to beef it up. Love it to death(pun intended) I am in a wheelchair and would love to find a small 9mm easy to rack. All these new small 9mm are tough for me. I have a Bersa 9mm Ultra compact(10&1) by the nightstand and that is easy to rack. It seems the smaller ones are tough for me to grab onto

#32 ·
About .380 vs 9mm. As soon as they make a 9mm that will fit my pocket like my Kahr P380 that I can shoot as well as my P380 then I'll carry it. Having said that, there simply isn't a 9mm you can carry in the pocket like the Kahr P380 that is anywhere near as controlable as the .380 is. The PM9 comes close but it's much larger and for many it's a tad too big for pocket carry. Not all of us are 6' 2" and 225lbs. I agree that the .380 is anemic on a good day, however, for true dedicated pocket carry I can't think of anything that comes close to the Kahr P380.

It's got regular night sights and a great sight picture. Reliability is good. It has the best DAO trigger on the market. The grip is better ergonomically than a P3AT or LCP and feels more like a longer fuller grip. There's no external safetys or mag disconnects. The slide locks back after the last round is fired, just like my regular guns and it's far more comfortable and concealable than my J frame due to the missing cylinder buldge.

If I'm wearing heavier fabric pants with deeper pockets then I carry the J frame so I can get to a .38. If the pockets are too shallow they show the backstrap of a J frame. I find a J frame to feel like I'm carrying a round rock. It's that cylinder that makes all the difference. Still if I'm wearing the right pants I go with the J frame. I thnk if you're a bigger guy with bigger pants and pockets then you're fortunate. I read about guys pocket carrying compact 1911's :embarassed:

The Sig P238 is one of the best looking pocket .380's out there, however, I don't like a manual safety on a dedicated pocket gun and I don't like the idea of a single action trigger on a DPG (dedicated pocket gun). Plus the weight is a bit more than the Kahr.

I found the Kahr PM9 which comes close to be very snappy making followup shots a bit more challenging. Okay, I'm willing to admit it. So I got a Kahr MK9 (all stainless but same size as PM9).

I'll say this, I'd much rather change my dress so I can get to IWB carry and a 9mm or better, however, there are times when my work and social obligations require me to go with a tucked shirt and no cover. I've tried ankle carry and smart carry and they were uncomfortable for me. A pocket gun was the least objectionable compromise I could come up with. Even tried tuckable holsters but I'm short and thin and I simply can't do a good job of concealing a Kahr P9 or MK9 under a dress shirt that's tucked in. A tucked holster is hard to get to and in panic mode I could see a guy struggling with that shirt. Also, I don't like a loop on my belt that is....well, just there. I know I know, no one notices anything or so they say but I do and I'd hate to be asked "hey what's that on your belt".

So for certain occasions, the Kahr P380 is about the best dedicated pocket gun that's currently on the market. If you can carry bigger and can shoot it well I'd recommend you do so but don't believe the internet mantra that if you can carry a pocket .380 you can pocket carry something in a 9mm because...well, it's not true for everyone. Now if you can carry and afford a Rorbourgh (sp?) in 9mm that might work but I suspect it's harder to control then the folks who dished out over a grand for it are willing to admit and it seems like it would be awfully heavy in the pocket.

Still that all black Sig P239 with rosewood grips is about the best looking gun I've seen in a long time! :rolleyes:

God Bless
Gideon

#33 ·
I'd like to ad that I used to belong to a forum (for a very short time) that would automatically delete your post if you even mentioned a mouse gun. I found the guy running the forum to be arrogant on this point. He came off as self righteous. If he really cared at all about people carrying a sub par caliber he would have allowed the posts and then tried to point out the very real, very significant limitations of .380. Instead they just deleated them and often added little comments that made you feel like a complete idiot for even thinking about a .380.

Truth betold; we will likely wish for a larger gun, larger caliber, and larger capacity if the moment every comes. I've never been in a shooting but I've been in some situations that brought about the symptoms everyone talks about. We'll wish we had always carried the same manual of arms and we'll probably wish we'd trained a whole lot more and we'll wish we'd been paying attention or been somewhere else but we'll likely do whatever we've done the most in those few seconds and for a lot of us there's no telling what that'll be.

So I would try to carry more that a .380 if you can and if you say you can't, we just have to be honest with ourselves that it's really not so much a "can't" as it is a "won't" or a choice. It's my choice not to wear a 9mm IWB with a tuckable or to work at a job or go places where I can't wear a cover and must tuck my shirt.

Unfortunately if there's one word that covers CCW it's compromise and a whole lot of it. Do the best you can.

Enjoy the new week folks
Gideon

#34 ·
IMHO, if you are going to get a .380 the Sig P-238 is the way to go. We have two of them. I bought one for my wife to use as a daily carry. We left the gun shop, and went directly to the range. Shot 100 rounds through it with a couple of FTF's and FTE's. I was a little concerned, and after cleaning and lubing it, went back to the range the next day. I fired another 100 rounds through it, and not one problem. I think that first day's problems were caused by no lubrication. We both have P-238's and fire them often. No problems at all. They are a very reliable pistol. My 2 pennies worth.

#35 ·
I now have confidence in my Bodyguard after firing the last 300 rounds through it without incident.

The first time I tried to break it in, the trigger broke after 32 rds (no return to battery). Smith had it back to me in 9 days. 52 rounds later, same thing. Almost sold it after S&W repaired it second time.

Painted the front sight white, but actually shoot better with laser. I trust it.

It was among the first BG's off the line. Chances are, all bugs are diminished by now. Just my nickels worth.

#36 ·
I have a sig p238 that I bought about a couple months ago (black with blackwood grips and fiber optic night sights). It's a sweet gun and out to 10 yards, I shoot it about as well as my M&p 9c. I've had no problems with it at all and can't imagine a better shooting or better looking .380.

I thought I would use the P238 as a pocket gun but I'm finding that it's just too heavy in the pocket for me to be comfortable with it. IWB is great and that's how I'll probably end up carrying it most of the time. However, part of me wonders if I wouldn't have been better off with a PPS or PM9 if I'm going to carry IWB anyway.

I will say that I almost bought the P380 as I thought the size was perfect for a pocket gun. I didn't because I thought the Kahr trigger felt as light (if not lighter) than the sig. AND I didn't think the P380 trigger pull was very long (certainly not as long as the PM9); maybe it's the one I tried but it seemed to break pretty darn quick. I hear people all the time saying that they'd never carry a P238 cocked and locked but to me, that seems silly when compared to the P380 with its light trigger and no safety.

Of course now that I've said all that, I have to admit that I'm tempted to go back and pick up a P380 for pocket carry. I'm going to keep trying the Sig but I'm not convinced I can get over the weight for this application.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I'm very new to concealed carry and am still experimenting to see what I'm comfortable with.

#39 ·
I hear people all the time saying that they'd never carry a P238 cocked and locked but to me, that seems silly when compared to the P380 with its light trigger and no safety.
- I'm in the camp that doesn't want a manual safety on a defensive firearm. It's not that I don't think the P238 isn't safe carried cocked and locked, I don't want the added step of taking the safety off when I need it. I've missed several shots while upland hunting and duck hunting last year because I forgot to take the safety off. Hunting isn't a life and death situation, so it's no big deal if I miss a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.