Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ???? - Page 4

Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ????

This is a discussion on Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some folks are definitely passionate, but the original question had nothing to do with that.... I have owned virtually all of the .380 mentioned (not ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ????

  1. #46
    Member Array Bufford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    34
    Some folks are definitely passionate, but the original question had nothing to do with that....
    I have owned virtually all of the .380 mentioned (not seecamp) and my opinion is:
    I hate the triggers on most all of them. The Sig 238 is like a miniature "real gun". It has night sights, is truly accurate out to 25 yards and is much lighter to pocket carry than even a PM9 (which I am a Big fan of). The 238 is my first choice to carry when it is 104 degrees in Dallas and I have to go to work in slacks and a button down shirt. Now when the weather is cooler and clothing allows, sure I carry a Glock 27 or 1911... but it all goes back to the first rule in a gun fight, YOU GOTTA HAVE A GUN!!


  2. #47
    Member Array Zoomba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    27
    I carried an LCP for a year... It does disappear in your pocket, but if you are around any dust or dirt it doesn't always work at the range. Not at all tolerable to pocket lint, and mine only liked a few kind of hollow points.

    I switched over to a J-frame 340mp for pocket carry. I like a standard cheapo uncle mikes pocket holster, or a remora pocket holster depending on pocket shape. With barami hip grips, you can have your pockets open and conceal with an undershirt....

  3. #48
    Member Array GunByte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    My response to all .380 threads: Kahr PM9. For the slight size difference you get a better, more accurate gun. You can buy cheaper and more diverse ammo. For those who moan about the price difference there is the CM9. Do not choose a handgun based on price unless we are talking about custom 1911s and that is a matter of what it is worth to you.
    I briefly had the Sig P238 and it was a fine shooting .380 but a .380 nonetheless. It was kind of heavy for a .380 and a little heavier than a Kahr PM9. So I traded it in on a PM9 and could not be happier. Feel much better with a 9mm in my pocket than a .380 and just as comfortable. The PM9 actually feels better to carry because it is less weight distributed over a larger surface area. It does not feel like a brick at all as I forget I am carrying it after a few minutes and end up getting startled if I rub my leg against something and feel it bump. Also got an 11.5 S&W Airlite .357 J-Frame. Lighter still. Just fits my pocket nicely and is like not carrying a gun at all. Much better options out there than the Sig P238 but people will buy it for the Sig name. Hey, I ownd two Sigs, one a very expensive X-5 model and will buy just about any Sig they sell except the P238. Same goes for Kahr. Owned a few of them but never considered the P380.

    Then I bought an LCP as I have a specific need for a very small and lightweight gun two nights a week and might as well go as light and small as I can. It is also my BUG, answer the door at night and easy to toss in a bag gun. Cheap, small, lightweight and hits COM point shooting at 7 yards. It is my I do not need a gun gun. :)

  4. #49
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Rgarding the .380 being to small. It looks bigger when its pointed at you.
    Yep, I have yet to see anyone who claims a certain caliber is not a fight stopper volunteer to get shot by one. I used to be in that camp too, but I have re-assessed my views.

    It's like we always assume a 6'5 350lb crackhead will be the one who decides to kill us for no reason. I don't know about most of you, but I don't frequent places that 350lb crackheads go to very often. If you do, then I understand your reason for carrying a .45 or .454 casull for that matter. But for the vast majority of people, a .380 will do the job.
    Rhcmlc and Sister like this.

  5. #50
    Member Array rm3482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Branson Mo
    Posts
    59
    My EDC is a glock 27 and BUG is a Bodyguard. I love my bodyguard and it is really fun to shoot. Very accurate and has a great kick too. Long trigger pull but I wouldn't think twice carrying it everyday if it was all I had! There is a reason they are so back ordered. Everyone wants one, I'm just glad I got hold of one.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    helderberg likes this.

  6. #51
    Member Array SmokinLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northeast Georgia, USA
    Posts
    21
    Well, to actually respond to the question the OP asked, if your pistol has a build date of December 2010 or later it has been fully debugged and is as reliable as any other pistol you'll ever use. If it has a build date prior to December 2010 you should go to the Sig website and read about the upgrades to the P238. Enjoy.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

  7. #52
    Member Array GunByte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I'm not looking to argue caliber, and I respect anyone's personal carry decision, but the shot placement argument doesn't fly. You can't imagine in a life threatening situation how much your knees and arms turn to liquid rubber. You can stand at the range and blow holes inside of holes all day at paper targets pinned to the wall, but when all of a sudden, you find yourself clearing leather because some ****head just whipped out a pistol and is focused on you, then whatever gun you have will feel very small, and you will be lucky to hit anything. I just speak from experience. I never even realized there were three guys because I was so dialed in on #1. Why sell yourself short on a sub-par caliber when it's no stretch to carry something that is an actual proven effective round? Why carry 6+1 ineffective rounds when you could easily carry 14+1 proven show stoppers? I'm sorry because I really don't want to debate it. Like I said earlier, it's a personal decision and I respect that, but I hate to see people delude themselves as to the level of their skills and personal safety when they've already made the decision to get legal and carry. If .380's were so great, then you'd see them used by all manner of LE, but they never do. They are a proven ineffective round, and it's foolish to argue their merits.
    Those of us who have been in combat know how training goes out the window until you have been in it for a period of time. Just watched a Vietnam documentary on History channel and one scene showed a company that was attacked. Despite being a ranger unit everyone started shooting in all directions not knowing where the enemy was and ended up shooting up one of their own platoons, killed two and wounding the rest. Most people have no idea of how many Americans were killed by friendly fire in Vietnam despite training and combat experience. This is why I shake my head when I read about doing this drill and that and that they think they will be able to put their shots where they want to. Of course in the comfort of an easy chair it is easy to think you are different and will be cool under pressure. No training you can take will come close to what you will feel during a real shooting situation. Those that have been there know that.
    jklowe48 likes this.

  8. #53
    Member Array GunByte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Yep, I have yet to see anyone who claims a certain caliber is not a fight stopper volunteer to get shot by one. I used to be in that camp too, but I have re-assessed my views.

    It's like we always assume a 6'5 350lb crackhead will be the one who decides to kill us for no reason. I don't know about most of you, but I don't frequent places that 350lb crackheads go to very often. If you do, then I understand your reason for carrying a .45 or .454 casull for that matter. But for the vast majority of people, a .380 will do the job.
    Most people know how lame that statement is about no one wanting to be shot by one. No one wants to be poked in the eye with a finger either so the statement used to make your point does not do that. It is merely you being to lazy to do your own research of fact based studies and is merely repitition of the garbage people find on the internet to support their position. Heck I can come up with many posts about why a .22 is a great defensive gun too because more people have been killed by that round than any other. If we are going to go in that direction I will venture that throughout our history more people have been killed by a sword so perhaps we should carry swords instead. They really should teach logic in schools.

    I have guns in all the popular calibers from .22 to .45 and .357 mag. First off it is true that a large bullet diameter has a better chance of destroying vital areas than a small diameter. Pin ***** versus ice pick kind of thing. There are real reasons other than one's belief presented as fact based on internet information posted by ill informed posters, for choosing calibers larger than a .380. People who are recognized as fire arms experts, trainers and those that study such things do not dismiss the .380 entirely or place it at the bottom of the defensive caliber ladder on a whim. Educate yourself about ballistics, shooting results gathered from police agencies such as Massad Ayoob has done and then see why the .380, although capable of doing the job, is not the best tool for the job. The problem is that many people want to carry a .380 because of convenience or becasue they cannot handle the recoil of a bigger caliber. I know plenty of this these people. To justify their choice they find info on the web to support their choice which is very easy to do on a medium that has no editors to fact check what is posted. As I said, a .380 can do the job some of the times but a larger caliber will do the job more times under more circumstances and the wider bullet allows for more chances of nicking important things that smaller bullets will miss. Read what Mas Ayoob found out when he studied the effects of various calibers on shooting hogs in the head. The .380 did not penetrate while all others above it did. In fact he stopped testing with the .380 as it was inhumane. Remember that all vital organs are protected by bone or dense muscle and ballistic gel does not smulate that stuff. It is a fact that a larg heavy bullet will hit bone and muscle and keep on going while lighter bullets will deflect or break up. Lastly know that there is a difference between believing you are safe and actually being safe. My cousin feels he is safe with a .25. 2 friends will argue to their death that their NAA mini revolvers in .22 lr are great SD carry guns. Yet for some reason military units and LEO choose larger calibers instead of the easier to shoot .380. Yet even then you will find someone to dismiss this by saying their reason to abandon the .380 and then the .38 is based on everything other than those rounds not performing well in actual shootings. Carry what you want. Yep the .380 will stop if you hit the right places under life and death stress but the larger calibers tend to be able to reach and damage those places better or all the real street reports by police are wrong.
    Tn Mitch likes this.

  9. #54
    New Member Array cjkranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    13
    I have had a LCP, P380 and now currently have a P238 as my "pocket pistol". IMO it is 10x the pistol of the Ruger and Kahr. It is heavier then the other two but it shoots extremely well. For a .380 I couldn't ask for more and highly recommend the Sig.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

  10. #55
    New Member Array j5128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    BG 380 for me!
    i recently bought a BG380 after extensive research and trying different options. I wanted a small, decent caliber CCW for my front pocket. I honed in on the .380 (i have a Wather, but too heavy for pocket carry). I looked at the usual options readily available (LCP, P238, Kal-Tec, etc). At first i was concerned over some of the reported issues (Take Down pin, Firing Pin, Laser). If you read enough, all .380 have had some issues. I have heard many good things about this gun so i decided to give them all a fair shot. After firing 4 different .380s, I liked it best overall. There are other aspects of diffent guns i liked better, but overall the BG380 won. The P238 was sweet but i am not buying this for a range gun and save a couple hunderd to boot. I bought the BG380 and am VERY pleased with it. The serial number starts with EAZxxxx.

    Pros:
    - Safety being #1(DA, Long Trigger Pull, Safety, Loaded Chamber Indicator). I have absolutely no concerns carrying this 6+1.
    - Solid feel, good but not heafty, very good grip
    - Very Accurate for the intended purpose
    - Low Recoil, no slide wounds or bruised hands - i was pleasantly surprised
    - Over 400 rounds with varying Ammo. NO FTE. Only 1 FTF on cheap ammo, i just pulled the trigger again and it fired. Nice feature over a SAO(P238).
    - Usable Sights
    - Slide stays open on last round
    - Build in Laser (some may think differently, but i like it so far. I practice without it, i wouldn't rely on it - BUT it may come in handy).
    - Easy field/complete strip


    Cons:
    - Great sights but no Night Sights
    - Had to "improve" the laser light button. Took about 15 min.

    For the Price, Quality, Carryability, Usability - Highly recommend the BG380!

  11. #56
    Member Array crf3973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    246
    I will never carry a gun that REQUIRES a safety...

    Here's what I mean, the p238 has to be carried hammer back to be cocked and locked. To safely do this, you must have the safety on (in my opinion). The other option is to carry it safety off, hammer down, and pull the hammer back when you need to defend yourself. This is just as bad as having to turn a safety off in my opinion. My friend owns one of these and it shoots easily in the hand, he has never had any failures with it. For some reason I've had several malfunctions with it and I have no idea why. Im not a novice shooter, and I know that its not my grip causing this.

    For me, the LCP is much better for discreet ccw. If I am going to relegate myself to a 380 pistol, it needs to go in my pocket. IMO the p238 is too thick and heavy for my purposes (Roughly 9 ounces vs 15 ounces). The p238 is a much nicer pistol when we look at it out of context of my ccw needs, it just dosen't translate into reality for me. I guess I have shot the LCP enough that I can fire it fast and accurately. I also frequently shoot around 100 rounds through it in a single range session with no discomfort. The only other gun I carry is a Glock 26, I like that the LCP has the same trigger style as I want my carry guns to be as similar as possible in their function. The crimson trace laser is a must for it

  12. #57
    Member Array joepa150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    472
    Love the LCP. Sig p238 will shoot nicer but is more money and I wouldn't pocket carry it because it is single action only (just my personal preference). It also is quite a bit heavier than the LCP. I already had a Jframe which weighs about the same as the p238.

    I am not big on Taurus but I hear a lot of good things about the TCP. Comes with 2 mags, can be had for $200-250 new, stays open on the last round, and has better sights than the LCP.

  13. #58
    Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    I briefly had the Sig P238 and it was a fine shooting .380 but a .380 nonetheless. It was kind of heavy for a .380 and a little heavier than a Kahr PM9.
    It's a bit of a nit, but the PM9 loaded with 6 rounds is 18.4oz based on the Khar spec sheet and weighing my 9mmP handloads. The P238 is 17.2oz based on weighing the gun itself with 6 rounds in the magazine but none in the chamber. Not much difference, but the P238 is lighter by a bit more than an ounce. I think the extra ounce is probably a feature in a 9mm. I think the MK9 at ~26.0 ounces is too heavy for a pocket gun but it might be quite nice to shoot. I almost bought a used one at Cabela's but the trigger pull was just too long and light for me.

    I can't pocket carry a PM9 or I'd probably own one. It's a nice gun. I don't like the trigger pull but I could live with it if the thing fit in my pockets. The P238 pocket carries for me, but not in all my pants. I don't have any pants the LCP can't be carried in.

    [/QUOTE]<snip>Then I bought an LCP as I have a specific need for a very small and lightweight gun two nights a week and might as well go as light and small as I can. It is also my BUG, answer the door at night and easy to toss in a bag gun. Cheap, small, lightweight and hits COM point shooting at 7 yards. It is my I do not need a gun gun. :)[/QUOTE]

    Right there with ya. I have an LCP. I've never been unarmed where I wanted to be armed and it was legal since I bought it. The LCP and P3AT are probably the most concealable .380's on the planet. There are others that are very close though. The pocket .380 offerings have proliferated to the point where the buyer has a real choice.

    That said, since I got out of the Army I have never, ever, for any reason, intentionally gone anyplace I thought I might need a gun. If I thought I was going to need a gun I wouldn't go there. Period, Full Stop. At my age I don't go to bars, I am seldom anyplace but home in the evening because my night vision sucks (probably should get the cataracts done soon). Don't go to big stores on weekends, stay out of parking lots at night, park close to the store during the day, and visit restaurants in off hours during the day to dodge the working folks at lunch time. But I carry as big a gun as I can hide anyway everywhere I go that it's legal anyway. Most of the time that's a Glock 26, and I practice with it all the time. Nice gun to shoot.

    Sometimes, the LCP is all I can hide, so I take it. Turns out it is essentially my primary carry gun in the hottest two summer months. I'd carry my bride's P238 but I have been told not to reach for it with anything I'm not willing to lose. She loves that little gun. So do I. It is hands down the nicest shooting .380 I've ever had in my hand, and that is about every one but Kahr P380. I love the break of a single action trigger.

    Edited to add: The comment that the LCP doesn't like to be dirty is a good one. I field strip it and make sure it's clean inside once a week when it's being carried every day. Couple of minutes with Q-Tips and/or a bit of compressed air and it's ready to go. I take the magazines apart once a month to make sure they are not getting crunked up from pocket carry. I also added the Hogue rubber over grip to it which makes it nicer to practice with.

    What I'm thinking I'll like even more is the P938. It may be a real pocket 9mm - at least in all the pants I can pocket carry the P238 in, which is most everything but my suit pants (in which case I have a jacket on and can IWB it - P238 vanishes in an IWB holster like a MiniTuck). Based on the SIG web site I'd estimate the weight of the loaded pistol with 6 rounds at 20.5 oz. SIG gives the weight of the empty gun W/O magazine as 16.0oz. I'm using 2.5oz for 6 rounds of 9mmP based on weighing my reloads on the digital scale, and assuming 2.0 oz for the empty magazine weight. It won't be as nice to shoot as a 26.5oz MK9, or the 17.2oz P238, but it's going to be at least as nice to shoot (recoil) as a PM9, and it will have that nice SA trigger. I am really hoping they get that thing out soon. I am anxious to give one a try. I'm also hoping that because it's based on the P238 they will get it right the first time. The current production P238 is as reliable as gravity based on how my wife's performs (a sample of one, but confirmed by a lot of other owners).

    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

  14. #59
    New Member Array mrflannery77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    7
    I own a p238 and I absolutely love it. I've also fired a LCP and a .380 Bodyguard . For me personally the p238 was the best choice. It carries wonderfully with a iwb holster and is a joy to shoot 50 - 100 rounds (or more) at a time.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

  15. #60
    Senior Member
    Array 1911_Kimber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    732
    Just bought a P238.. still have not picked up.. I looked at the 9mm but the wife wanted something she could shoot and I wanted something to summer carry.. P238 won that argument

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best pocket carry pistol
,
p238 pocket carry
,
p238 price
,
p238 vs lcp
,
pocket carry sig p238
,
sig p238
,
sig p238 for pocket carry
,

sig p238 pocket carry

,

sig p238 price

,
sig p238 vs bodyguard
,
sig p238 vs bodyguard 380
,
sig p238 vs lcp
Click on a term to search for related topics.