Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ????

This is a discussion on Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just looking for your opnions on the pocket pistols you trust enough to carry. I picked up an LCP for $200.00 couldn't pass it up. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ????

Sig P238 Pocket Carry? LCP? Body Guard? ????

Just looking for your opnions on the pocket pistols you trust enough to carry.

I picked up an LCP for $200.00 couldn't pass it up. I really don't shoot it well past say 15' or so, however my wife can tear stuff up with it. She is confident with it out of the box. I recently installed a Crimson Trace laser and I still shoot like crap and she still smokes what ever she aims at.

Well, she rently received her CC and I no longer pocket carry an LCP. I recently looked at Smith & Wesson Body Guards but found them to be far from amicable as well. Then I found the Sig 238 Whoa!!! the price blew me away but I rented it at the local gun range anyway. I LIKE THE WAY SHE FEELS. I shot this baby as well as my G26 & G30 I love the night sight that are factory installed. I have two issues one is price but I can justify that if I can overcome the second problem. I have heard alot about reliability issues with this weapon. has Sig de-bugged this weapon yet?

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JD; July 24th, 2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: addressed via PM

2. Remove Ads

My wife carries a P238 half time wth a 38 stub. She loves it and all of the family shoot it at the range because it feels good in your hands. We have 400 or so down the tube and no FTF OF FTE. I have a Colt Mustang in the safe and I am tempted to pocket carry a little in shorts. We like the SIG.

I have a P238 and not real impressed with it. To be fair, I have one of the early ones and perhaps I need to send it back to SIG for work, but it's not nearly as reliable as my Kahr P380. I've heard very good things about the S&W B380. One thing I like is they have real sights. The laser seems useless the way it's set up, but lots of companies are starting to make aftermarket sights for it. The P238 is probably the best shooting 380 on the market but the reliability is just not as good as it should be in my opinion.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

i have two friends with LCP's. I tried them didn't like a few things about them and i did like that they were small and light so when I purchased a "pocket gun" I opted for the Bodyguard. I love it but I must say I never tried the Sig. My Bodyguard is now my EDC.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I don't carry .380 or smaller for SD.

JMO. YMMV
    RebelRabbi likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post

JMO. YMMV
    ditto.

SIG 238 is a nice gun. Wrong caliber.
    No doubt the .380 is lethal....just not a fight stopper. Much better pocket guns for self defense are also available in 9mm.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post

JMO. YMMV
    I was afraid I'd get deleted for saying the same thing. If you carry for convenience, then a .22 derringer is the best gun on the market. If you carry a gun to save your life sometime, stick with service calibers that are recognized effective rounds...38 sp/9mm and up. Besides, mouse guns just aren't that much fun to shoot, and you can get a 9mm that is nearly as small. A 9mm round has nearly twice the force as a .380 round out of the same barrel. As has been said before, any gun can kill. I can also kill someone with a sharp stick, but I choose to carry a weapon that will make someone STOP their attack NOW. Their death will probably be the inevitable result. You can talk all day long about shot placement, but when someone sticks a gun in your face, your fine motor skills sprout wings and you'll be lucky to hit anything outside of 7 yards. The so called mythical one-shot stop is well discussed, but I always remember a particular Medical Examiner that mentioned when a stiff shows up with only one bullet in them, it's always a caliber that starts with a 4. Don't let gun shop salesman guide your defensive pistol purchase. They don't have your well being in their best interest.
    21bubba, AZJD1968 and RebelRabbi like this.

My edc is a Taurus TCP 738. I totally trust it. I've never had a problem with Cor-Bon ammo in it. It's my edc because I never have to leave it at home because it's too big, bulky, or heavy. It's not my only carry gun however. Depending on circumstances I will carry my Glock 26 in addition.
    Question Everything!

My mother in law has an LCP... can't stand the thing. It is not comfortable for me to shoot at all, so obviously I don't shoot it well.

Love the P238, as with the Colt Mustang. I will be picking up a P238 eventually, but since I don't pocket carry it isn't very high on my priority list.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I was afraid I'd get deleted for saying the same thing. If you carry for convenience, then a .22 derringer is the best gun on the market. If you carry a gun to save your life sometime, stick with service calibers that are recognized effective rounds...38 sp/9mm and up. Besides, mouse guns just aren't that much fun to shoot, and you can get a 9mm that is nearly as small. A 9mm round has nearly twice the force as a .380 round out of the same barrel. As has been said before, any gun can kill. I can also kill someone with a sharp stick, but I choose to carry a weapon that will make someone STOP their attack NOW. Their death will probably be the inevitable result. You can talk all day long about shot placement, but when someone sticks a gun in your face, your fine motor skills sprout wings and you'll be lucky to hit anything outside of 7 yards. The so called mythical one-shot stop is well discussed, but I always remember a particular Medical Examiner that mentioned when a stiff shows up with only one bullet in them, it's always a caliber that starts with a 4. Don't let gun shop salesman guide your defensive pistol purchase. They don't have your well being in their best interest.
    Very brave words that I totally agree with.

I do not have the Sig238 but I do know one owner. He likes his just fine and like you had sticker shock. When he purchased his he was unaware of any issues but he liked the way it felt and carried. He trust his enough to use it as a BUG while on duty as a LEO.
    While others choose not to carry a 380 I say carry what feels good in your hand and what you trust. I know that if I don't like the way a gun feels in my hand I won't enjoy shooting it.

I have the Ruger LCP and Kahr P380 that I pocket carry a lot in the summer. I also have the Kahr PM9, but don't find it to be a comfortable pocket carry. I originally looked at the Sig P238, but the manual safety is a real deal breaker for me. I don't like safeties on defensive guns in general and I don't like a thumb safety on a pocket pistol. I would try a few at the store to see which one you are most comfortable carrying. Range time would be even better.

As for .380ACP as a defensive round, it may not be everyone's choice in minimum caliber, but I'm in the camp that carrying is more important than not carrying.

I owned the Sig for about 6 months and loved it. Never a jam, put 600-800 rounds through it. I could get 4-6' groups from 25 yards. By far the most comfortable 380 I have shot, I got rid of my Kahr P380 for the Sig.

My response to all .380 threads: Kahr PM9. For the slight size difference you get a better, more accurate gun. You can buy cheaper and more diverse ammo. For those who moan about the price difference there is the CM9. Do not choose a handgun based on price unless we are talking about custom 1911s and that is a matter of what it is worth to you.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I pocket carry a Smith & Wesson 442 .38 special.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links