Glock 17 Gen 4 Test...

This is a discussion on Glock 17 Gen 4 Test... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of the regulars on the DC forum know that I love M&P and Glock. The last couple years I have made it known that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 4 test...

VIP Member

Glock 17 Gen 4 test...

Many of the regulars on the DC forum know that I love M&P and Glock. The last couple years I have made it known that I have been using M&P way more. There are just some ergonomic features that help me as a lefty while retaining the utmost in reliability. I know some of you guys will be shocked that I actually have a Gen 4, but I think this will be fun.

I have been also known to rip the Gen 4 Glocks due to the reliability complaints that have surfaced when they first came out. It's a known issue that the old dual recoil springs had some problems cycling weak ammo. I have been a proponent of staying with what works and the Gen 3 and M&P series are stellar.

One of the first things that the (early adopters) would say to myself and others when we gave our opinion about being a guinea pig was, do you own one? While I don't think it's the know all end all with regards to having an opinion, it does have some merit.

I recently had an opportunity to buy a brand new G17 4th Gen, that was flat out way too good to pass up. By far the (G17) is my favorite Glock model ever made over the years. I also figured this would be a fun experiment for myself and some of the Gen 3 faithful. I think anyone who has seen my posts over time would know that I will call it like it is, good or bad. I would also admit that I am more critical of Glock fanboys more then any other manufacturer.

I have inspected this brand spanking new G17 to check the recoil spring. It has the number markings of 0,2,3. The test brass casings have a date of 6/27/11. That is less then a month ago and so this should be a newer model.

Today I will shoot 200 rounds of cheap federal walmart ammo and winchester white box. My old saying is that if your firearm can't shoot that ammo then it's worthless to me. There is no room for fickle ammo feeding self defense firearms.

I will give you guys a range report and I put this G17 through it's paces over the next few weeks.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Cant wait. My Gen 4 G22 has been 100%. It IS my goto gun. Since I have had my Gen 4 I HATE the feel of the Gen 3. Good luck with the 17.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    Day One test:

So after cleaning out the factory gunk, I took the new G17 to the range today. I shot a total of 200 rounds and here is the breakdown.

100 rounds of walmart Federal 115 grain
    50 rounds of winchester white box 115 grain
    50 rounds of PMC bronze 115 grain

From the majority of the reports it was weaker ammo that was causing failures while normal defense loads have been flawless for most. I also did a side by side test of a Gen 3 G17 as well. I tested each for slow fire accuracy and well as double taps and rapid fire.

Results:

After firing the two hundred rounds of the ammunition that I mentioned earlier, I had no failures whatsoever. The G17 was flawless just as expected with the newer version of the recoil spring.

Initial Impressions:

The first thing I noticed was how much more I liked the grip of the Gen 4 over the Gen 3. I tested the grips with and without gloves as well. Another thing I noticed was that indeed the Gen 4 is a softer shooter then the Gen 3. Where I really saw the difference was with follow up shots doing double taps and rapid fire. I know this sounds ambitious, but the Gen 4 is one of the fastest firearms I have shot with regards to getting back on target. Some of this is due to the low bore axis, but I do think this is where the double recoil spring shines.

I also really like the new larger mag release. You don't really notice how much better it is until you have both guns side by side. The Gen 3 did have a lighter trigger then the Gen 4, but I did not have a lyman scale on hand to be sure of this. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that I am correct though. Though the trigger on the Gen 4 was not bad, it's just a touch heavier.

Shooting each firearm side by side, I was a tiny touch more accurate with the Gen 4, I don't think it's any more accurate, but being softer shooting may have effected this. Both are suitable for their role.

Thoughts:

Two hundred rounds is not nearly enough data for me to give the Gen 4 G17 a thumbs up yet, but I have to say that I am totally impressed so far. It surprised me how much I enjoyed shooting the Gen 4. I will report back when I have more data points with a final review.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; July 25th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Glad you had a good experience. Keep us posted on future visits to the range.

I purchased a Gen 4 G19 June 1. So far, I've not had any issues. And like you, my spent casing was dated 5 days prior to purchase.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Glad you had a good experience. Keep us posted on future visits to the range.

I purchased a Gen 4 G19 June 1. So far, I've not had any issues. And like you, my spent casing was dated 5 days prior to purchase.
    May I ask you what numbers are on your recoil spring? I mention in my original post that mine has a 0,2, and a 3.

http://
    Love mine.It has a V3 Race trigger connector,Wolffe comp. spring kit,.25 trigger job and I heavily polished the bump.Best trigger I've had on a Glock.250 rounds of UMC 115 gr.and 100 rounds of Independence 115 gr. no problems.I have a Gen 3 trigger bar coming in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    May I ask you what numbers are on your recoil spring?
    I'm curious about that too.

May I ask you what numbers are on your recoil spring? I mention in my original post that mine has a 0,2, and a 3.
    The recoil spring is a number 4. I was incorrect on the date of the spent shell. It was fired on May 21st 2011 and I purchased my G 19 on June 1st 2011 at a dealer that only sells to LEO and military. Sorry for posting an incorrect date.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    The recoil spring is a number 4. I was incorrect on the date of the spent shell. It was fired on May 21st 2011 and I purchased my G 19 on June 1st 2011 at a dealer that only sells to LEO and military. Sorry for posting an incorrect date.
    Hmm I think the G19 have a shorter recoil spring so the number may be different. It sounds that if you got a #2 and beyond then you are good to go.

C hawk Glock,
    Glad to hear your new G17 4 Gen gun has started off well. I'm a Glock fan too, with a 17 and 26 but 3rd Gen. I have been following Todd Greene's Blog about training with a G17 Gen 4 for the whole year. Currently he has around 26,000 + rounds through it. The Blog has some interesting reading about the Glock. I thought you might be interested.

Glock 17 gen4 Endurance test: Week 18
    22-Jul-11 – 22:36 by ToddG

pistol-training.com Blog Archive Glock 17 gen4 Endurance test: Week 18
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    C hawk Glock,
    Glad to hear your new G17 4 Gen gun has started off well. I'm a Glock fan too, with a 17 and 26 but 3rd Gen. I have been following Todd Greene's Blog about training with a G17 Gen 4 for the whole year. Currently he has around 26,000 + rounds through it. The Blog has some interesting reading about the Glock. I thought you might be interested.

Glock 17 gen4 Endurance test: Week 18
    22-Jul-11 – 22:36 by ToddG

pistol-training.com Blog Archive Glock 17 gen4 Endurance test: Week 18
    Those numbers are staggering roughly 27,000 rounds with zero malfunctions and zero parts breakages! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Thanks for the fine report.

I own an carry a variety of 3rd Gen Glocks and also have a 2nd Gen G17 which I have thousands of failure free rounds down range. Told myself I didn't need to get another G17.....and then I played with a 4th Gen G17 at my local gun store, and it was AMAZING how much better the 4th Gen felt in my hand. Then all the issues with the double recoil springs and reliabilty issues surfaced and I never bought one. Sounds like Glock may have ironed out the issues with the Gen 4's.
    I see an new Gen 4 G17 in my future.

(I also have added a few M&P's to my stable.....love them to death)
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Thanks for the fine report.

I own an carry a variety of 3rd Gen Glocks and also have a 2nd Gen G17 which I have thousands of failure free rounds down range. Told myself I didn't need to get another G17.....and then I played with a 4th Gen G17 at my local gun store, and it was AMAZING how much better the 4th Gen felt in my hand. Then all the issues with the double recoil springs and reliabilty issues surfaced and I never bought one. Sounds like Glock may have ironed out the issues with the Gen 4's.
    I see an new Gen 4 G17 in my future.

(I also have added a few M&P's to my stable.....love them to death)
    Yeah indeed it sounds as if the recoil spring issues are done. I never thought I would say this, but I like the new recoil spring. It really does make for a soft shooting handgun. Do yourself a favor and shoot one of the new Gen 4's, and let me know what you think.

By the way, I did indeed switch the mag release for a left hander. It was a little tricky but easily done. I really like the size of the new mag release as well.

Congrats. My Gen4 17 has been flawless as well and a joy to shoot.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Those numbers are staggering roughly 27,000 rounds with zero malfunctions and zero parts breakages! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
    I think there might be some confusion due to nomenclature. A stoppage is any failure of the pistol to complete the cycle of operations that is fixed by immediate action. A malfunction is a failure that requires remedial action, and a breakage self-explanatory.

He had 6 stoppages (I think all FTEs) in something like 500 rounds with the gen4 g17 stock. He was actually going to stop the test (he carries the test gun) due to the unreliability. After replacing the extractor with an older design and only having one stoppage the test continued. Not exactly stellar results with the stock setup. The new extractors are the source of most problems with the 9mm guns. Unfortunately, new production gen 3 guns have also switched to this new extractor design. If your gun works it works, but definitely put it through the ringer to be sure.

I had a gen4 g17 with the 0-2-1 spring that had 1100 rounds through it in 2 days with no hiccups whatsoever. If you get a good one they're very easy to shoot well. Here's a 10rd group from mine at 5 yds:

(9mm casing included for size reference.)
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links