Defensive Carry banner

What breed of 1911?

5K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  INccwchris 
#1 ·
I have had a couple of Springfield Mil Specs, a (God forbid) Charles Daly ($400 PAPERWEIGHT!!!), and a Kimber Custom II. I like the idea of a Kimber, but we all know how affordable they are. Springfield shows promise, but what do you guys think of the Smith 1911 series? I know nothing of them.

#9 ·
#3 ·
FWIW I've never handled a Smith 1911 that didn't seem "rough" in some manner.

In the past I have been apt to recommend Rock Island for a lower cost gun and the Springfield Loaded as a mid-tier choice, but with the introduction of the SR1911 that may change as it falls kind of in the middle of the RIA and Springer in price and has some nice features.
My choices by price would probably be:

Ruger SR1911
Springfield Loaded
Colt XSE / Combat Elite
Springfield TRP
Offerings from Les Baer

Kimber's showing signs of improving their processes, but I'm not ready to recommend them yet after the experiences I had with some problem guns.

#7 ·
I spent quite a bit of time looking into my last 1911 purchase, I had owned two SAs, Two Kimbers, a Colt, and a Wilson. I finally decided on a Colt Combat Elite and couldn't be happier. The one thing I've noticed about Colt's 1911 is it has sharper edges than all the other's. While I applaud the classic lines and find them much more attractive than a pistol that has met heavy belt sanding, I have gotten a couple of good cuts doing rapid manipulation drills.

I purchased the Combat Elite with the intent of having it worked over to my specifications. I chose that model because it had features I found desirable already included and would save me money at the gunsmith; Novak Sights, NM barrel, S&A grip safety, forward cocking serrations.

Small issue's I've noticed including the sharp edges are the GS needs to be fitted slightly better and I prefer to change out a few parts like the full length guide rod, trigger and the MSH. I want to add FS checkering, gold bead to the front sight, and I can't get used to the stainless frame; I'll have the whole gun refinished in Ion Bond, Cerakoat, or some other durable coating.

Accuracy is good, reliability is 100% right from the box, (still low round count), but has functioned with several different variations of HPs and of course with FMjs, including mixing various rounds per mag with notorious Speer Flying Ashtrays. Colt still makes a wonderful 1911.

#12 ·
After 3 Kimbers, 1 SA, and a Sig 1911 I bought a S&W "E" series light weight Commander sized and I am very happy with it. I think Kimber makes some fine looking guns and if I wanted to be real careful about ammo especially JHPs I could recommend them.

#15 ·
After owning and shooting Colts for the last 37 years I would be hard pressed to find a reason to try any other. This is my opinion and it is based on carrying for SD reasons only. Always fired when the trigger was squeezed and never had a feed problem once a few crummy after-market magazines were tossed in the dumper. My favorite ammo was the old flying ashtray and never once had a feeding problem even with its huge hollow cavity.

bosco

#17 ·
With 22 1911's in my stable, four of them are Kimbers so as you could probably guess, I am partial to Kimber. Just so happens that the only used 1911 I have is a Charles Daly. Although it is not a gun that I would want to spend a ton of money on to customize, I do find it to be reliable and fun to use at the range. It wasn't like that when I first bought it. If you have an interest in transitioning it from a paper weight back to a nice range gun, I would recommend you do four things to it: 1. Strip it down and make sure extractor is completely free of crud. 2. Change the recoil spring to 18 lbs. 3. Replace the firing pin spring at the same time. 4. Get a decent magazine like a Wilson Combat. You will find it should make a world of difference in the way your Charles Daly performs.

#18 ·
I love my Springfield LW Loaded... there are many good brands mentioned as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.