3913 TSW update/upgrade 13 years later

This is a discussion on 3913 TSW update/upgrade 13 years later within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a 3913TSW in 1998. This was my first and up untill about 4-5 years ago my only carry gun. I have no idea ...

Thread: 3913 TSW update/upgrade 13 years later

I purchased a 3913TSW in 1998. This was my first and up untill about 4-5 years ago my only carry gun. I have no idea the countless rounds through it. Its been carried, shot and honestly probably not treated as well as it should at times. It has never missed a beat. I have in the past few years set out on the journey to find the ultimate carry gun for me. I have bought bigger, smaller, thinner, fatter. When its all said and done I think I have finally found it. Its my 3913TSW. I am wondering is there anything I should do as a tune up or if anything. I have considered converting it to DAO because the transition still gets me at time. I dont know whats involved. It wont become my only carry gun but its certainly moved back to the top.

That 3rd(?)Generation of Smith Autos were some fine weapons and got lost in the shuffle once the Glock(which I Love BTW)came on the scene. The 3913 is probably the top of that Smith auto heap. Post some pics if you can..and what are you considering next? Revolver? Another auto in a different caliber? Good Luck on that hunt.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I really cant think of anything else I need. I think I have come full circle. I realize that currently the best gun for me is the one I already have. I considered a Kahr CW9 then realized other than smooth DAO trigger there wasnt much difference. Of course Im sure this contentment wont last.

3rd gen smith auto's are some fine fine fine weapons. I like to refer to them as the poor mans Sig. If I ran across a good deal on one I would snatch it up in a heartbeat even though I'm not a huge fan of DA/SA triggers.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I purchased a 3913TSW in 1998. This was my first and up untill about 4-5 years ago my only carry gun. I have no idea the countless rounds through it. Its been carried, shot and honestly probably not treated as well as it should at times. It has never missed a beat. I have in the past few years set out on the journey to find the ultimate carry gun for me. I have bought bigger, smaller, thinner, fatter. When its all said and done I think I have finally found it. Its my 3913TSW. I am wondering is there anything I should do as a tune up or if anything. I have considered converting it to DAO because the transition still gets me at time. I dont know whats involved. It wont become my only carry gun but its certainly moved back to the top.
    I would consider sending it back to the S&W shop for them to go through thoroughly. Springs would certainly be replaced, but possibly other small bits like the slide stop, firing pin, etc. could be checked for wear by the folks who have the blueprints.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I had the 3913 and regret selling it everyday.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    gasmitty has a point, you probably need to have it checked out and any thing worn replaced. Maybe a trip to Novak's would be an even better idea. Mr. Novak, as I recall had quite a bit of input on the 3rd generation S&W design and I've seen some of his custom work on 3913's; he can make them really special. Since this gun has stood the test of time with you and you still obviously prefer it over other selections I wouldn't hesitate to have some custom work done on it; tune up, springs replaced with Wolf Springs, and something to make it your's like a nice re-finishing and custom grips maybe.

Post some pics if you do.

The 3913 is arguably the finest auto Smith ever produced. And that's a bold statement.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    At one point I wanted a 3913 but ended up getting a 669 (double stack 2nd gen 9mm), a 457 and 1006. The 669 has the best trigger reset in the group and with its weight you can shoot the middle out of...anything. They just aren't for me anymore so I'm getting rid of them. If I had gotten a 3913 I probably wouldn't be selling it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

If it works for you then keep it as is. No reason to upgrade a 100% reliable gun that you love.

My first carry gun was a 6946 and is one gun I will never sell. I have about 9k trouble free rounds with no problem.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I used to have a 3913, lost it to an ex-fiance as part of the break-up (technically it was "her" gun, but I bought it), I still regret losing that gun...I think one day I'll buy another
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I'm quite fond of the metal 3rd gen S&W's. I've had five over the years, and still would have if three hadn't been stolen. I currently have a CS45 and 457S, both bought new, and both flawless with anything you care to feed them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Very happy with my 4566 and 6906. Well, except that it's hard to find resonable holsters.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Very happy with my 4566 and 6906. Well, except that it's hard to find resonable holsters.
    Its really hard to find holsters LOL...Ive had my 457 for a few years now and love it. I cant say enough about it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I specialize in S&W guns so I got you covered even with square trigger guards.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links