1911 s Glock vs ?????

This is a discussion on 1911 s Glock vs ????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys and gals I carry a Kimber Ultra UDP and as I understand it, the company name is Kimber, the model is Ultra (meaning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 s Glock vs ?????

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

1911 s Glock vs ?????

Hi guys and gals

I carry a Kimber Ultra UDP and as I understand it, the company name is Kimber, the model is Ultra (meaning it has a 3 inch barrel) and the type (if that is the right word) is a 1911. Lots of other companies make 1911s and again as I understand it it was designed my Browning in the year 1911. Most 1911 seem to be 45s but I have seen some 9mm, and a 50 caliber as well.

Now Glock has what looks like 20 different models from the Glock 17 to the Glock 36 all of them are different calibers and different sizes, but they look to me lie the same type of gun. What is the type?

I have seen this XD and then the CX4Storms by beretta what type of guns are they?

Talking about Automatics only (because I think a revolver is a revolver it can be any caliber and usually holds 6 but can vary) What other types of handguns are there and what are the main difference in them?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

glock is a glock you would call it a double action only pistol

xd is a single action as the striker is precocked when the slide recoils

as for the new berettas no clue haven't paid attn to them

yes you kimber is a 1911 though not truly designed in 1911 just adopted by the army then .

your types break down to this

SA single action the 1911 and xd

DAO double action only glock and many other makes of pistol offer this type of action

SA/DA single action double action

first shot is double action like a revolver each follow up is single action lots for makers beretta ruger smith etc use this action

thats the simple version

OD*
    Glock is also striker fired Bud, it's not a true DA.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Lead Moderator
    A lot of the modern pistol designs are based on the 1911 too. Barrel lock up , ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The glock is striker fired, but the trigger has the responsibility of making the final cocking action, and releasing. Not truly a DA, and not Truly a SA....and it has been argued both ways since Glock made its first pistol. It is probably time we come up with diff. terms for these actions. I could care less what they call it, It works.
    Fear No Evil.

Excuse my ignorance but what does striker fired mean? It has to have a firing pin, it uses the same ammo a 1911 does, doesn't it??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

Assistant Administrator
    Striker (simplistic explanation) means in essence a spring loaded firing pin, released directly by trigger group.

Other ''conventional'' systems, per 1911 etc - have a hammer driven by spring and that strikes firing pin. Ammo chambering just same.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Yes the Glock has a firing pin. However it is not controlled by an external hammer like the 1911. It does fire center fire ammo like the 1911. Not all the Glocks fire the same caliber as the 1911.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    Not truly a DA, and not Truly a SA....and it has been argued both ways since Glock made its first pistol.
    Indeed it has, which I find silly, as it is very easy to prove.

So Glocks are DA which mean the trigger pull will be longer and harder? Right?

I thought the XD was DA also is it one that the first pull is double action and the rest are single action??
    Timmy Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    TIt is probably time we come up with diff. terms for these actions.
    how about a "GA" for "glock action"?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    Now Glock has what looks like 20 different models from the Glock 17 to the Glock 36 all of them are different calibers and different sizes, but they look to me lie the same type of gun. What is the type?
    the type is "reliable".

if you have any ranges around you that rent handguns, i highly recommend that you take one for a tryout. a glock has universal simplicity and absolute reliability, and is an excellent platform for the first time shooter right up through the most experienced marksman. they arent "pretty" to look at and the grip angle sorta sucks, but the weapon will fire every time you pull the trigger and if you can handle "point and click" then theres no way you can screw up firing the weapon.

......er, short of pulling the trigger when you shouldnt, anyway.

to compare the 1911 to the glock (based on your header title, anyway) is comparing two different beasts entirely. i carry a glock during the day (when im working) and a 1911 at night, but if i look at it rationally then i have to admit to myself that i carry the 1911 due to sentiment moreso than anything esle because there are so many tactical advantages to the glock (mainly capacity, but there are others such as simplicity, weight, etc.).

either will serve you very well and in the end it all boils down to personal preference, but i recommend that you try each so as to make the most informed decision.

OD*
    So Glocks are DA which mean the trigger pull will be longer and harder? Right?
    No sir, DA means you can cock and fire the pistol with one trigger pull, you cannot do that with the Glocks. The Glocks must be pre-cocked by pulling back on the slide, or done automatically during the firing sequence.
    Glock calls them "Safe-Action."

your right od there sort of double action as the trigger has to be reset by the slide cycling then it is more like a double action where pulling the trigger cock's the striker for it to fire.

So yes the trigger pull is longer and usually weighs some where between 5.5 to 6.5 pounds

Lead Moderator
    Also the 1911 is not a caliber , it is a model designation. Most modern guns come is various calibers, even the 1911 style guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links