M&P break in

This is a discussion on M&P break in within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got an M&P 357 SIG a month or so ago. Have about 100 rounds through it, shot it at a competition the other day. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: M&P break in

M&P break in

I got an M&P 357 SIG a month or so ago. Have about 100 rounds through it, shot it at a competition the other day. I stripped it for cleaning and found two odd things. There were a lot of small particles that looked like brass along the area where the slide mates with the frame. All along the area, both sides. I got them all out with a q-tip. Then when I punched the bore, I found that there was no powder residue. I like that (wwb ammo, not winclean), but am concerned with the tiny flakes of shiny stuff along the slide and frame rails. Also had it on the underside of the frame on the rear area. Forgive me, but I know little of auto handgun terminology. On the underside of the slide towards the rear in the center there is a long part that looks as if the flakes could have come from it. I think it is what picks up the next round in the magazine. Or maybe it is shaving some brass off of the cases. Is this common with an M&P? A break in thing? I have not inspected any cases, as I have not fired the gun since I cleaned it and was unaware of this at the time. But it sure runs smooth. Let me know what you think. Many thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I forgot, I did have some empties. The primers are hammered, looks like they were smacked with a nail. Pretty burred up, too. REALLY burred up. I have heard that a striker fired gun leaves a different impression on the primer, and it does on mine, but the primers look gouged. Looks like it is going back to Smith.

I get this when I use brass cased ammo. Ive noticed it when cleaning all my semi autos. Not alot, mind you, just flakes here and there. I use Blaser Brass and WWB.

If you didnt clean your gun first before shooting it, it could be the cosmoline that they packed the gun in. When it gets hot it can crystallize, and become harmful to your gun. If this is the case clean the gun well with a degreaser and re-apply your gun oil..
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

If it was your first time cleaning it, it was probably copper grease used during assembly...

VIP Member
    M&P's just need an initial cleaning and they are off and running. There is no break in.... They just run...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

M&Ps are great. I wasn't a fan of the trigger, but the overall ergonomics and function are fantastic. Plus Smith & Wesson's lifetime warranty and customer service is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    M&Ps are great. I wasn't a fan of the trigger, but the overall ergonomics and function are fantastic. Plus Smith & Wesson's lifetime warranty and customer service is second to none.
    The trigger is nothing the apex kit doesn't fix. The m&p is a great gun that won't let you down no matter the punishment.

Yes, I cleaned it before initial firing. The shop I bought it from has two certified Smith armorers. They think the striker is hitting the primer VERY hard. They took a couple of fired cases I brought in, stuck them in the case, and sent it off to S&W. I am reduced to my J-frame model 60-14, my Beretta 85, or my SIG 229. I think I will survive until the M&P gets back, but I miss it already. Do I want an M&P 9mm, a SIG 2022, or a Beretta 92?
    I feel the need to get another gun while my Smith is in the shop........

Links