Sans hammer?

This is a discussion on Sans hammer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, all i've ever owned is Semi-Autos. Mostly Glocks, CZ's and a RIA 1911. Yesterday I sent off for my CC permit and I want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sans hammer?

Sans hammer?

So, all i've ever owned is Semi-Autos. Mostly Glocks, CZ's and a RIA 1911. Yesterday I sent off for my CC permit and I want a wheel gun. I won't get into the reasons for my decision.

Some of the guns I have considered are the Ruger SP101, albeit the biggest of my considerations. Taurus 851. Ruger LCR. And the S&W M642 w/o internal lock. I like that the M642 has no lock. Now, two questions.

On a D/A only revolver is the pull really that bad? And do the above mentioned guns, minus the M642, have internal locks? I love the 851 for it's shrouded hammer if i ever wanted that S/A pull.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The quality of pull really varies from handgun to handgun. I once shot a Colt Python that ruined me toward all other revolvers. 'Dunno which have the internal locks.

A DA pull really makes sense for self-defense purposes. I cannot envision cocking a hammer in such a situation.

However, I personally really like having a hammer for when I'm shooting a snake or some other undesired critter. The light SA touch on my 637 makes for unquestioned accuracy.

The Taurus will have an internal lock. The Rugers don't. And the best of the bunch listed, IMHO are the Rugers. The trigger on the Ruger SP101 will also probably be the worst of the bunch. I have held and dry fired a few Ruger LCR's, and I think the trigger on these might possibly be the best of the bunch. You can swap out the hammer spring and do a "fluff and buff" on it, and it will help out the trigger pull on the SP101. The Ruger SP101 will also weigh the most of the three....but you can shoot .357 out of it and not want to throw in the towel after shooting a few cylinders worth.

I own a few J-Frames and a Taurus 85 Ultra Light. The J-Frames are nice for throwing into a pocket and forgetting they are there. Can't really do that with the SP101. The SP101 does ride nicely though in IWB Holster for all day carry.

Tough decision.

Sounds like you need a 638 or 438 S&W. Once you get a Taurus, you will inevitably have problems and then curse their CS dept. The 642 pull isnt that bad its like 12? lbs. Its a very smooth pull though and had a good break. They can be worked out and lightened with very little effort and make a great CCW.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I own a few J-Frames and a Taurus 85 Ultra Light. The J-Frames are nice for throwing into a pocket and forgetting they are there. Can't really do that with the SP101. The SP101 does ride nicely though in IWB Holster for all day carry.

Tough decision.
    I would be carrying in a IWB regardless. Not a huge fan of something such as that in my pocket. How do you like the Taurus?

My finger has so long been tuned to the Smith & Wesson double-action trigger that anything other revolver used double action, including the vaunted Colt Python (of which I have an example) just feels wrong. I will say that the Smith & Wesson J-Frame DA trigger is my least favorite of the Smith & Wesson family. It has a more jerky feel than do the double action triggers of the K-Frame and larger Smith & Wesson revolver models. The J-Frames are still acceptably nice for double action work and, in my view, are superior to the newer polymer revolvers that companies have marketed in recent years.

I don't care at all for bobbed hammers or other hammerless designs. I have one Smith & Wesson Model 642 but it sees less use than either a Colt Detective Special or a Smith & Wesson Chief's Special that are on hand and which both feature single action capabilities. I like choices so I like hammer spurs. I like to shoot my double action revolvers in single action mode and even find frequent excuses to shoot the snubs that way. There might be a skunk out there that needs shooting or I might want to trim some prickly pears from 40 yards.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Sevrenth View Post
    I would be carrying in a IWB regardless. Not a huge fan of something such as that in my pocket. How do you like the Taurus?
    In order from best to least:

Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Taurus.

But that is just my personal preference. At least for my criteria.

VIP Member
    I really urge you to try and try them (rental) before purchase. Everybody is different and their preferences are different.

I happen to like shooting a 642 or a DA only airweight style revolver in 38 sp. I do not own one, but would like to. My son can't stand them.

We are "blessed" with an almost infinite number of caliber, action, and size options from many different manufacturers. Try before you buy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

For self-defense, since all shooting should be DA, one needs no hammer spur. (Sorry, Bryan!) Once one learns how to shoot DA, it is every bit as accurate as shooting SA. I rarely shoot my DA revolvers any other way, even the ones that have hammer spurs, unless I'm shooting way out past Fort Mudge, then I might sneak in a SA shot, but I"ve been known to use DA even for long range shooting. I own a bunch of Smith J-frames, and with the exception of a 37-2 I got from a friend, I've worked on the DA pull on all of them. Out of 25 or so snub .38s and .357s I own or have owned, the 37-2 is the only Smith that didn't need at least a little work. My Ruger LCR has a great trigger, just as it came from the factory, and my SP-101 also has a nice DA pull, but that's because I slicked it up a lot. All my Colt snubs have had at least a little work done on them. If you choose a Smith, you can get a Model 642 or Model 40-1 with no internal lock, and I suggest that you avoid those with internal locks, unless you plan to remove the lock and replace it with THE PLUG. I only ever once owned a Taurus revolver, and I was a happy man the day I sold it.

Cool

As others have said you really need to try out the examples you have mentioned.

These were my two choices for AIWB carry revolvers.

photo.jpg
    Ruger SP-101 in .357 magnum

photo.jpg
    S&W 638

click image to enlarge.....
    Last edited by Old School; July 27th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I used to love S&W revolvers, but a couple of years ago I bought my wife a 637. It had a terrible trigger. We got rid of it. I have a Taurus 650 and she has a 605 (both hammerless); we have never had a single problem with either one. She also has a Ruger LCR. Nice gun, light to carry, but a bear to shoot because it is light. I have never shot a Ruger SP-101, but I have never heard a bad word about them except that they are on the heavy side.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    As others have said you really need to try out the examples you have mentioned.

These were my two choices for AIWB carry revolvers.

photo.jpg
    Taurus SP-101 in .357 magnum

photo.jpg
    S&W 638

click image to enlarge.....
    I have never seen a Taurus SP-101
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I have never seen a Taurus SP-101
    You didn't see them at the Shot Show this year?
    Old School likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevrenth View Post
    So, all i've ever owned is Semi-Autos. Mostly Glocks, CZ's and a RIA 1911. Yesterday I sent off for my CC permit and I want a wheel gun. I won't get into the reasons for my decision.

Some of the guns I have considered are the Ruger SP101, albeit the biggest of my considerations. Taurus 851. Ruger LCR. And the S&W M642 w/o internal lock. I like that the M642 has no lock. Now, two questions.

On a D/A only revolver is the pull really that bad? And do the above mentioned guns, minus the M642, have internal locks? I love the 851 for it's shrouded hammer if i ever wanted that S/A pull.
    Excellent video from an Expert.......... ‪642 S&W .38 Special (Airweight J frame)‬‏ - YouTube

I own several S&W snubbies myself BTW

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    For self-defense, since all shooting should be DA, one needs no hammer spur. (Sorry, Bryan!) Once one learns how to shoot DA, it is every bit as accurate as shooting SA. I rarely shoot my DA revolvers any other way, even the ones that have hammer spurs, unless I'm shooting way out past Fort Mudge, then I might sneak in a SA shot, but I"ve been known to use DA even for long range shooting. I own a bunch of Smith J-frames, and with the exception of a 37-2 I got from a friend, I've worked on the DA pull on all of them. Out of 25 or so snub .38s and .357s I own or have owned, the 37-2 is the only Smith that didn't need at least a little work. My Ruger LCR has a great trigger, just as it came from the factory, and my SP-101 also has a nice DA pull, but that's because I slicked it up a lot. All my Colt snubs have had at least a little work done on them. If you choose a Smith, you can get a Model 642 or Model 40-1 with no internal lock, and I suggest that you avoid those with internal locks, unless you plan to remove the lock and replace it with THE PLUG. I only ever once owned a Taurus revolver, and I was a happy man the day I sold it.
    Hi John;

I may not be the world's finest pistol shot but I love to thumb the hammer of the Colt and Smith & Wesson double action revolvers. I've long been in the habit of shooting the revolvers for enjoyment and using them more deliberately. I really want the feature. I don't derive near the enjoyment in using the revolvers double action. Over the years I've participated in both hunter pistol silhouette and bulls eye match shooting with revolvers and there just isn't a place for double action work in such events. I can do a competent job shooting a revolver double action out further than most any reasonable self defense shoot would require. I guess I shoot out past Fort Mudge too much. For 15 yards or less DA is fine. We'll git the hits. As far as self-defense goes I might even use it single action if I felt so inclined, conventions be hanged. I never claimed to be in style.

Observation of other shooting acquaintances' Taurus experiences have been uniformly unsatisfactory to the extent that no Taurus products have been sampled.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links