Taurus to re-release a snub .44 Special

This is a discussion on Taurus to re-release a snub .44 Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just saw this link on another forum. Thought I would share it with you .44 Special aficionados. Wish that they weren't offering it in an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Taurus to re-release a snub .44 Special

Taurus to re-release a snub .44 Special

Just saw this link on another forum. Thought I would share it with you .44 Special aficionados. Wish that they weren't offering it in an Ultra Light. And wish that Ruger would wake up and smell the coffee and release a 3" .44 Special on a GP platform.

Taurus 2011 What's New Catalog
    Haystacker likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The Ruger stance had been to not make the .44 special firearm because you can just buy a .44 magnum instead. That apparently was Bill Ruger's belief, which was corporate philosophy.

At least it was until recently. They have several options for .44 special only as SA revolvers currently. Give them time, and Ruger will most likely have a .44 special snub available.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Just saw this link on another forum. Thought I would share it with you .44 Special aficionados. Wish that they weren't offering it in an Ultra Light. And wish that Ruger would wake up and smell the coffee and release a 3" .44 Special on a GP platform.

Taurus 2011 What's New Catalog
    Not to be a parade rainer, but I'll believe it when I see it (or hear credible reports on Teh Interwebz). Taurus has often announced "vaporware" guns, that never actually make it to market.

Now, the other gun on that page, the .40 snub, I have seen reports of people having it.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Well, I wish someone would make a .44 special snub, along the lines of the old steel framed Charter Arms, anyway no bigger than that & made out of STEEL! Lets make it a break-open--with moon clips-----

I guess I wasn't aware they quit. I have a 450 which is .45 Colt, mine is Titanium. I'd like to have a 45 ACP to match. Would be a good match to my 1911's.

Of course, Charter has never stopped making them, but they are aluminum.

Ruger is now offering the 44 spl. in the Ruger New Model Blackhawk.

If you want a 44 Special then just get a Charter Arms Bulldog. It is all steel and 22 OZ with good trigger.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    If you want a 44 Special then just get a Charter Arms Bulldog. It is all steel and 22 OZ with good trigger.
    Yeah, I know...I have two Charter Bulldogs....but shooting .44 Special....especially stout loads begins to sting a bit. One of my Bulldogs:

And if I want to shoot .44 Special all day, then this guy gets the nod, but it doesn't carry as well as a 30 oz .44 snubby would:

But what I am looking for is an in between gun. If you read my original post again, I said that I wish Ruger would offer a GP100 3" in .44 Special.
    Dragman, TWO GUNS and crzy4guns like this.

I got a friend bought one of the IIRC Taurus ported 44 spl snubbies,I shot it and recoil wasn't too bad,kinda like a stout rearward push,I put 5 rounds COM as fast as I could pull the trigger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Love the .44 Special as a general purpose revolver cartridge. It's a very effective one. However, the revolver has to function in order to send the bullets toward the target. My brother-in-law was tempted despite previous shabby Taurus performance and purchased a Taurus ported .44 Special snub. The silly thing began to constantly freeze up when cycling double action while on its first trip out. Crummy soft component parts in the action seemed to be the culprit. Rather than to waiting on uneven Taurus warranty service he straightened it out himself but sent the revolver on down the road.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Well, I wish someone would make a .44 special snub, along the lines of the old steel framed Charter Arms, anyway no bigger than that & made out of STEEL! Lets make it a break-open--with moon clips-----

According to Charter Arms they will reintroduce the .44 Special Bulldog Classic; Charter Bulldog Classic . However, they also said before that they were going to start manufacturing a 9mm revolver, but it never happened.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OD*
    I'd love to have a classic Bulldog again.

Danimal likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'd love to have a classic Bulldog again.

-- Picture --
    A 3” .44 Classic Bulldog is something that I should get right away .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've considered the .44 Bulldog, just for a little toter. I really like the .44 Special cartridge. The same brother-in-law that tried the Taurus .44 Special has a couple of .44 Bulldogs like OD*'s and they seem fine. The only .44 Special I have on hand is a 5-inch Smith & Wesson Model of 1926. Built on the N-Frame, it is large and too collectible to press into serious carry duty.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    The one thing I always did to my Bulldogs (yes, I had several and like an idiot let them get away), was remove the cylinder latch release, under stout loads (and half the time the mild factory loads would do it too) they will open your thumb up.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links