Kimber Solo vs Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo vs Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry either the Keltec PF-9 or the Kahr CM9 in my pants pocket every day. While the Kahr has a better fit and finish ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo vs Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LC9

I carry either the Keltec PF-9 or the Kahr CM9 in my pants pocket every day. While the Kahr has a better fit and finish
    than the Keltec, I still shoot the PF-9 better. Have owned the PF-9 for about three years so I've just gotten more accustomed to the trigger and standard three dot sight setup vs the Kahr. Felt recoil from the Kahr is less than the PF-9 which can be a bit of a handful. The Kahr is just a pure pleasure to shoot and will accept the mags from my CW9 or the 8 rounders for the TP9.
    Not a fan of the Ruger "California Legal" crap, so I never was enthused by the LC9. Ruger did great with the LCP.....and then really screwed the pooch with the LC9. Price point for the Kimber is typically much too high when the competition for the pocket 9mm market is priced between $250-$450. Also don't and won't own a Kimber 1911, but that's just me.

Last edited by zonker1986; July 26th, 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: additions
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I got a single action vaquero.
    smartass

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I carry either the Keltec PF-9 or the Kahr CM9 in my pants pocket every day. While the Kahr has a better fit and finish
    than the Keltec, I still shoot the PF-9 better. Have owned the PF-9 for about three years so I've just gotten more accustomed to the trigger and standard three dot sight setup vs the Kahr. Felt recoil from the Kahr is less than the PF-9 which can be a bit of a handful. The Kahr is just a pure pleasure to shoot and will accept the mags from my CW9 or the 8 rounders for the TP9.
    Not a fan of the Ruger "California Legal" crap, so I never was enthused by the LC9. Ruger did great with the LCP.....and then really screwed the pooch with the LC9. Price point for the Kimber is typically much too high when the competition for the pocket 9mm market is priced between $250-$450. Also don't and won't own a Kimber 1911, but that's just me.

Thanks for that, zonker1986. I'm falling trigger finger first into the CM9 for sure now. I think Ruger copied the PF-9 trigger. Not so bad, but they could have done better.

OK, safety check everybody. Oh, no.............

The CM9 is heavier than the PF 9, in case you haven't already found out. Just a heads up, since it may make a difference for you. For me, I don't mind the extra weight as the additional quality really makes up for it.

I do pocket carry the CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis in dress slacks. It is pretty much at the top range of weight that I would be willing to carry in a pocket... meaning, any heavier, and I think it would be a no go. It is just light enough to carry comfortably in a large enough, loose pocket like you find in most of today's dress slacks.

Here's mine next to my XD45 Service compact.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm with WonderBra on this one (and noticing his correction on the LC9, of-course ).

These are pretty different guns...you'd be well served to give them a try, first-hand, before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The CM9 is heavier than the PF 9, in case you haven't already found out. Just a heads up, since it may make a difference for you. For me, I don't mind the extra weight as the additional quality really makes up for it.

I do pocket carry the CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis in dress slacks. It is pretty much at the top range of weight that I would be willing to carry in a pocket... meaning, any heavier, and I think it would be a no go. It is just light enough to carry comfortably in a large enough, loose pocket like you find in most of today's dress slacks.

Here's mine next to my XD45 Service compact.

who installed the night sights on your SA 45C? Did you have them done in the Orlando area?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    PM9/CM9 Without the doubt. It doesn't have crappy trigger (LC9), manual safety(Solo), mag safety(LC9) or unproven track record (Solo and LC9) but still has a good trigger, good size and if you go with the CM9 wont break the bank. As far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer.
    ^^^ What Rollo said.

Regards,
    Jim

i spent the extra bit of cash for the PM9 and do not regret it. It is an absolutely top grade pistol IMO.

PM9 here as well, flawless for over 600 rounds now no matter what I feed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    smartass
    Wow, I sure forgot some smilies on that one. How does one delete an errant post?

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    who installed the night sights on your SA 45C? Did you have them done in the Orlando area?
    I bought my XD45c with the night sights preinstalled. There's a certain model that comes with night sights. You don't get to choose what exactly they install on there, but I got genuine Trijicons with mine.

handle them all, test fire them all if you can't weed any out buy just handling them. Don't let price be a deciding factor in an important decision like this. Get what you yourself like and will carry everyday.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I also bought the kahr cm9. Hate messing with new designs and don't want a safety on a pistol that could be pocket carried. Just a good stringer fired pistol. Kahr also more than a bit lighter than the sig.

I have a PM-9. Nothing to complain about.
    When the Kimber Solo came out, I got excited just about the way it looked.
    I wanted one. Then I started reading about all the problems, and Kimber eventually
    stopped production.

But....what do you want to do with this?
    If it's pocket carry, they're all too big IMO.
    If it's IWB, then your choices open up more, and there are a lot of other choices (EMP? Sig 225, 239?)
    A larger framed gun will be more fun at the range, thus allowing you to practice more.

I carry a PM9 in my pocket daily. It is very reliable, easy to carry, and it shoots well.

I have fired the Kimber Solo on two ocaissions, and have paid for one that is on backorder (5 months now). I will consider carrying it after it proves to be as reliable as the PM9, but I will not carry it in condition one, nor will I use the safety. I'm basically gonna treat it the same as my Kahr and Glocks.

The Solo is not as comfortable to shoot as the Kahr, and I prefer shooting the Kahr at the range over the Solo.

Hope that helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links