Kimber Solo vs Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo vs Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read a lot of comments recently on the Kahr PM9 and the Ruger LC9. Does anyone have a Kimber Solo? If so, what are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo vs Kahr PM9 vs Ruger LC9

I've read a lot of comments recently on the Kahr PM9 and the Ruger LC9. Does anyone have a Kimber Solo? If so, what are your thoughts on this rather new pistol?

I know most members suggest not purchasing any newly released gun. I'm looking for a "pocket pistol"
    and these three sure seem like great options.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Hello,

All three of your suggested pistols have differing modes of operations. I would suggest going with what you're most comfortable with and what you can properly train with.

The Kimber Solo targets the 1911 crowds with manual thumb safety as part of the operation. If you are not comfortable carrying 1911 and properly training the same setup, I would stay away from this. While it is technically striker fired, the trigger is sensitive enough (from what I've read) to feel like a SAO trigger, so the safest way to carry this pistol is with the safety on.

The PM9 (also look at the lower priced CM9) is a striker fired pistol with no safeties. As I have Glocks and other no-safety carry guns, I prefer this mode of operation.

The LC9 is a bit of a hybrid. It is also striker fired [Correction: It is hammer-fired.], but the manual safety is not required to be on for safe carrying as it has a long trigger. My concern with this pistol is that the safety is there and could be unintentionally activated. I've tried the safety and it is more difficult to active than to disengage the safety. Statistics and the real world cases say I am paranoid, but it would be a nagging concern to me.
    Last edited by WonderBra; July 26th, 2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar & LC9 hammer fire correction
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

I use a jframe style LCR for pocket carry. My LC9 project is over. Couldnt get past the BS safety additions. It is traded and gone.

I am no expert, but I love the feel of the lc9. And for those that hate with the exception of the magazine disconnect the external safety seems very comparable to a 1911 platform. I'm just of the opinion if u don't like the safety don't use it. Every 1911 I have handled seemed easier to accidentally engage the safety than the lc9.

BigJon

PM9/CM9 Without the doubt. It doesn't have crappy trigger (LC9), manual safety(Solo), mag safety(LC9) or unproven track record (Solo and LC9) but still has a good trigger, good size and if you go with the CM9 wont break the bank. As far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer.
    SIXTO likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The lc9 has a hammer and is not striker fired no?
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    The lc9 has a hammer and is not striker fired no?
    DOH. You are correct sir.

From Ruger's website:

The LC9 is a double-action-only, hammer-fired, locked-breech pistol with a smooth trigger pull. Control and confident handling of the Ruger LC9 are accomplished through reduced recoil and aggressive frame checkering for a positive grip in all conditions. The Ruger LC9 features smooth "melted" edges for ease of holstering, carrying and drawing.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

I looked at all three of those and almost bought the Kahr. In the end, I bought and carry a Sig P290. It's the same dimensions as the Solo and Kahr, although the squared off design makes it seem bigger. I liked the sights the best and the option of using an extended 8-round mag at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I use a jframe style LCR for pocket carry. My LC9 project is over. Couldnt get past the BS safety additions. It is traded and gone.
    I feel your pain, Man. I so wanted the LC9 to be something else.

What did you get in trade? A Kahr?

Now back to mwhartman's conundrum. Out of the choices you've given I'd vote for the PM9. I'm personally saving for a CM9. I've given up my romantic dreams of a K9 (check my handle), at least for the near future. My lifestyle calls for a pocket gun that carries a little more easily than my LCR.

I got a single action vaquero.
    WonderBra likes this.

I got a single action vaquero.
    Big difference from the LC9. What J frame do you carry?
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I now exclusively carry an lcr. I also pocket carry a nice p3at with buffalo bore "+p" ammo

I now exclusively carry an lcr. I also pocket carry a nice p3at with buffalo bore "+p" ammo
    Nice combo!

I believe that the thumb safety and magazine disconnect are there to make them legal for sale in california. Fortunately, both are easily removed.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

I would recommend the CM9, or PM9 if you want to spend the extra coin (although honestly, it is mostly just cosmetic differences).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links