Colt Mustang vs. SIG P238

This is a discussion on Colt Mustang vs. SIG P238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, So I've made the decision to stay practical with my next gun and get a pocket .380. Ever since it launched I've like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello All,

So I've made the decision to stay practical with my next gun and get a pocket .380. Ever since it launched I've like the look and feel of the P238, and I've shot it well the few times I've been able to borrow it. However, I've read here and elsewhere that the P238 is basically just SIG's take on the classic Colt Mustang.

From what I understand, and some videos I've seen posted on YouTube, Colt re-introduced the Mustang at ShotShow this year. So now I find myself wondering between the two. I admit I'm a SIG guy, but I'm primarily interested in making the "right" decision.

So I'm looking for thoughts on this. Obviously it's been easy to find specs and details on the P238, but I'm having trouble researching the re-release model of the Mustang because I keep getting bogged down with the specs from the earlier Mustangs. From one of the videos where they appeared to be speaking with a Colt rep at ShotShow, they indicated it was going to be launching in June but given what I know about product delays I'm not sure of its status.

So, has anyone gotten their hands on a new Mustang? Happen to have shot one? Able to comment on a comparison to the P238? Any thoughts on either gun they'd like to offer?

I do want to make one thing clear: I'm not interested in starting a debate on calibers and the incessant pointing out of the Kahr PM9/CM9 being 9mm and also pocket sized. I have also already ruled out the Ruger LCP because it does not fit my hand well and is terribly uncomfortable for me to shoot.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and input!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Well, I have a Sig 238 and it's all good.
    I did shop for a used Colt Mustang before buying the Sig, and they were going for $800 (ouch)

I would think they are very similar.
    So I went to Gunbroker.com to see what's up.

They are selling above the cost of a Sig by a lot.
    To my eye the grip is a bit longer (a factor in pocket carry) and indeed they hold 7 in the magazine.

Both look really nice.
    If the Colt just came out, I'd wait for growing pains to settle down.

Also consider the Kimber Solo Carry, if they have the bugs worked out too. (I think it's a tad larger than the Sig or Colt.)
    Maybe too big for pocket carry.

For what it's worth, my current pocket carry is a Seecamp. I just like D/A in my pocket over S/A only.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Well, I have a Sig 238 and it's all good.
    I did shop for a used Colt Mustang before buying the Sig, and they were going for $800 (ouch)

I would think they are very similar.
    So I went to Gunbroker.com to see what's up.

They are selling above the cost of a Sig by a lot.
    To my eye the grip is a bit longer (a factor in pocket carry) and indeed they hold 7 in the magazine.

Both look really nice.
    If the Colt just came out, I'd wait for growing pains to settle down.

Also consider the Kimber Solo Carry, if they have the bugs worked out too. (I think it's a tad larger than the Sig or Colt.)
    Maybe too big for pocket carry.

For what it's worth, my current pocket carry is a Seecamp. I just like D/A in my pocket over S/A only.
    There are I think a couple of different Mustang models; The Mustang Mark IV Plus II has a 7 round magazine.
    There are other models with 6 round magazines. I think the 238 has a 6 round magazine. I don't recall for sure, but it seemed smaller than my Mustang when I last looked at it, but I can't be sure. If you want it for pocket carry, smaller equals better, if you are willing to have one less round with you. And since some of the Mustang line are sort of collector's items now, it might not be what you want to carry daily.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

JD
    Administrator
    I laid hands on a "new" Mustang @ shot, it's the 6rd pocketlite (aluminum frame), the larger Mustang (7rd mag) was the +II Variant. The version I saw @ Shot has was the same as the original Mustang overall (these appeared better made from an aluminum forging instead of casting), but I was told that the are improving the sights on the 'Stang to better compete with the 238.

The specs of the new gun (minus sights) should be the same as a Mustang Pocketlite and the exact same size as a P238.

The new Mustang has not yet been released for sale that I am aware of.

JD
    Administrator
    For basic refernce:

Colt Mustang +II (top) and Mustang (bottom)

For some comparison shots of an original Mustang +II and P238 you can see them in this thread:

Picked Up a Sig 238 HD. Colt Mustang +II / Sig 238HD Comparison.

Again, the new model Mustangs should be a little cleaner.

VIP Member
    Interesting.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'm thinking Pocketlite myself, since it'd best meet my pocket carry requirement. Interesting comparison there, I'm wondering how the "new generation" ones may differ from the originals.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

JD
    Administrator
    From what I saw the slide and frames of the new guns were nice forgings, not as "raw" looking as the originals. With the beefier sights they should be pretty darn nice. I really hope
    Colt will bring back the +II but I doubt they will.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

That's awesome... I saw my gun guy today and the word from some distributors is September for the initial rollout.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    The Sig is good. The new Mustang should be also. For an everyday pocket gun I would shy away from the original Mustangs only because there are no replacement parts available if it breaks.

I have two stainless Mustang Pocketlites, and both have been flawless performers for me. I've replaced the plastic guide rods with steel ones, but they still have one major flaw, and that is the near-invisible front sight, and Sig has cured that problem, so I may buy a 238 once I'm convinced that all the bugs are worked out.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    I have two stainless Mustang Pocketlites, and both have been flawless performers for me. I've replaced the plastic guide rods with steel ones, but they still have one major flaw, and that is the near-invisible front sight, and Sig has cured that problem, so I may buy a 238 once I'm convinced that all the bugs are worked out.
    The new issue Mustangs are supposed to have better sights.

Hopefully something like this:

Colt Gov't .380 by Novak, photo courtesy of Novak Custom

Had I known Colt was going to revive the Mustang, I would have never bought my 238.

Administrator
    Thats a cool looking mustang.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats a cool looking mustang.
    That's actually the Government .380, a little larger than the Mustang & Mustang +II and a really neat little .380. I have a steel framed version and if .380 were as cheap as 9mm it would probably be my favorite gun to shoot. If Colt could make that sucker run in 9mm it would be the cat's pajamas.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's actually the Government .380, a little larger than the Mustang & Mustang +II and a really neat little .380. I have a steel framed version and if .380 were as cheap as 9mm it would probably be my favorite gun to shoot. If Colt could make that sucker run in 9mm it would be the cat's pajamas.
    Ahh yeah... I see that now that I'm looking at whats clearly printed on the slide.

And yeah, that would be the pretty swell in 9mm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links