Carry Gun For Small Hands

This is a discussion on Carry Gun For Small Hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who has some pretty small hands. He is looking for advice on a good carry gun. Given that I have G21 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carry Gun For Small Hands

VIP Member

Carry Gun For Small Hands

I have a friend who has some pretty small hands. He is looking for advice on a good carry gun. Given that I have G21 sized hands, I thought I would seek the wisdom of the group. My friend is indifferent as to revolver -v- pistol, but would like to stay at the .38/9mm or above lower level.

This question is basically for those with smaller hands - what works well for you for CC? I appreciate the input and I know my friend does as well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

G26 is hard to beat!
    Justified likes this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Kahr PM9 or CM9, otherwise a Springfield XDM, it had swappable
    backstraps and holds 13 rounds as a compact or 19 rounds as standard.

I would have him try lot of the new guns with multiple grip settings and try it with the smallest grip form.
    M&P Series
    Glock Gen 4s
    XDms

That being said, I have a friend who is tiny. She's under 5 feet. She found the Glocks to be too wide, both the Gen 3 and Gen 4s. She tried a Gen4 G27 and didn't like it. She found the Ruger SR9c the most comfortable, so try that as well.

I would second the PM9/CM9 and the other single stack Kahrs as well and also take a look at the Walther PPS.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Small hands here as well - to the point where I decided to have a grip reduction done on my Glock 26 - which worked out well. Other carry guns that have worked well for me are those from Kahr and the S&W M&P compacts with the small backstrap. A little side note, even though I had to have my G26 reduced, I've had no problem with my Glock 19 Gen 3 in stock form.
    Justified likes this.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

I have small hands. I get along well with 1911-types, Kahrs, small-frame Glocks (especially Gen. 1 17s), Browning Hi-Powers, and most any revolver with proper grips.

Try out a Walther PPS 40. If you can handle the recoil it is an easily concealed pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Try out a Walther PPS 40. If you can handle the recoil it is an easily concealed pistol.
    Or try the PPS in 9mm. Recoil should be no problem and you also get two backstraps to fit your hand.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

1911's have a knack for fitting small hands. My wife and I have small hands and love my HK USP, a USP Compact might be in the running. I like the XD-M line and have one in 9mm, I tired a XD Subcompact in .40 and didn't like it much, lots of front flip, but it fit nicely.

I'm a revolver guy. I think the Ruger LCR or S/W Bodyguard 38 are great choices. I love the triggers on both. I lean more towards the LCR. Most folks hangups with the SW BG 38 are the cylinder latch location and laser activation. If you don't have a back ground with revolvers (old dogs and new tricks thing) the new SW should be no problem getting used to.
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    My friend is indifferent as to revolver.
    How about a S&W 442, 642 or 637? Or, perhaps the Ruger SP-101. My wife and a friend also have small hands and find any of these quiet easy to grip and shoot well. All are good revolvers but the SP-101 is a really, really piece.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Prepare for 40 bazillion responses to this question, all with different answers. The most comfortable fitting grip I've ever felt is my Walther P22, but I wouldn't advise that for a carry weapon. My wife struggled with the same issue before eventually deciding on the Walther PK380. But I know you wanted a larger caliber than that.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Kahr, SIG P239, S&W M&P....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Kahr CW9.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links