S&W M&P compact .40

This is a discussion on S&W M&P compact .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always been a 6 gun kind of guy. However I recently became interested in the Smith and Wesson M&P compact in .40 S&W. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&W M&P compact .40

S&W M&P compact .40

I've always been a 6 gun kind of guy. However I recently became interested in the Smith and Wesson M&P compact in .40 S&W. I've read several reviews written by individuals (as opposed to a magazine which has a stake in giving a good review) that indicate it is very accurate and more importantly even, extremely dependable. While the obvious next step is to drive to a gun shop to inspect one in person everyone is currently out of stock, even on line (looks like there may be a little wait on these). I'm hoping that someone here owns or better yet, carries one. I'd like some opinions on its carry-ability. On paper it looks like it would work. However since I would be carrying in the real world that's the opinion I need to get. I'm sure it could dissapear under a light jacket but, what about pocket carry. I ride my motorcycle almost all the time and want to be able to carry in my inside jacket pocket with a pocket holster. This keeps it close but allows me to remove my jacket at Denny's with no danger of showing my weapon. Any info or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I will be completely honest with you. I own a M&P9c... same size as the 40. I love the gun, love shooting it. It is as accurate a handgun as I've ever owned. I do however struggle some with carrying it. My struggles have become fewer since I ordered a gunbelt from A&G and also a "Kholster". I now carry the M&P whenever I'm dressed casually, jeans or dockers and can use my gunbelt. I have the finger extensions on all of my mags and can still conceal it with a polo, a t-shirt not so much. If you're planning on inside jacket pocket you'll have no problem. I don't carry mine though when I'm in dress clothes, my gunbelt is 1-1/2 inch and won't fit dress slacks. Without the gunbelt the weight of it keeps me tugging at my pants all day. When I have to dress up I just carry my snubby. I think if I order another gunbelt either a 1 inch or 1-1/4 to wear with dress pants it would solve the problem. Your other question about pocket carry is IMO out of the question, unless your pockets are a lot larger than mine...maybe in cargo pants. I hope this will help you some.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have the M&P 9c (exact same dimensions as the .40). I use a crossbreed supertuck deluxe and can conceal it very well even under T-shirts. Depending on the size of your jacket pocket, you probably won't be able to pocket carry. I am 5' 9" and weigh 165. I absolutely LOVE this gun and would definitely recommend it.

My bad with the wording. By pocket carry I was actually meaning the inside jacket pocket on my motorcycle jacket (actually an LL Bean bomber jacket). I have tried it with my sons .380 which is slightly larger in length and height than the M&P and only marginaly thinner and about the same empty weight. It fits easily enough that I can still snap the pocket shut. The side flap pockets will also take the 380 and again no problems snapping it closed. My understanding is that the M&P has a pretty easy trigger for a DAO pistol. Has this been of any concern while carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Trigger weight of pull has not been a concern for me, and I had a trigger job done on mine. I had it lightened up to 4-1/4 lbs. The trigger was the only part of the M&P that I was not completely happy with. But after a trip to "Burwell Gunsmithing" I couldn't be happier. It's a great gun and I don't have any regrets.
    I had narrowed my choices down to a Glock 19 or the M&P and basically went with the M&P because it was American made.
    Last edited by Stubborn; July 27th, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I really do like the trigger on it, had a small amount of a gritty feeling at first, but after a few hundred rounds it's very smooth. It's my first piece of combat tupperware, I've been a 1911/highpower/wheelgun type of guy until recently. It's a wonderful gun for the range and carry. I was tempted to buy and install this (comes very highly recommended) but I got used to and like the factory trigger now. https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid35.html

I carry one every day. I've put about 3000 rounds through it at the range and it's never had a single failure of any kind.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This is my edc weapon. IWB custom leather holster. I love everything about this gun. Very soft shooter for a compact .40.

Motorcycle jacket pocket carry would work just fine. Regular pocket carry just isn't an option for me. To heavy and bulky. Great for conceal carry though. Trigger smooths out nicely. I have the full size and compact and I'm happy with my triggers.

Never had a single ftf, fte, or anthing else in either M&P. Don't really know how many rounds I have shot but for the last year or so I have trained and shot with them quiet a bit. I would guess about 2k maybe..

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I carried one for a few months and loved it. Never a malfunction and the interchangeable backstraps allow you to find the size that's right for you. Recoil is atypical of a 40 S&W pistol, especially in a compact model. Points well, shoots well, and the trigger gets better the more you shoot it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I carry the 9c every day and couldn't be happier. I used to have a Glock 19 and the slightly smaller dimensions of the compact M&P are perfect for concealment for me (5'10' & 180lbs). I am in the same boat as you - I can EASILY conceal it when wearing jeans and a polo, but in a suit I usually end up carrying it in a stripped out leather bound day planner. Not the ideal way, but at least I have it handy.

Compared to the Glock, I am far more accurate with the M&P - even with the factory trigger / action. I have the Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit installed on mine (HIGHLY recommend for any M&P pistol), and it takes the trigger into dream land. Reliability - well, I have never had a problem with the gun itself (only had 1 problem, a failure to fire, but that was on the (very cheap) ammo... bad primer and wouldn't fire out of a buddy's gun either). I know several other guys with over 2,000 rounds through theirs and none of us has ever had a single issue attributed to the gun itself. The ability to fire Corbon (or any other ) +P ammo for SD purposes is a definite plus.
    Stubborn likes this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Not much to add to the above comments about the shootability, trigger, carry-ability, reliability, etc. of the M&P 40c. There's a lot of discussion about the snappiness of the 40 S&W round (vs 9mm, blah, blah). It doesn't affect me that much or maybe I'm just used to it. Compared to other (9mm, .40 and .45 cal) pistols I've shot by Sig Sauer, Walther, S&W and Kimber, the M&P is a great shooter.

I have the same physical dimensions as Porp and I carry mine (IWB-4:00) in a custom kydex rig from Personal Security Systems Kydex Holsters. I, too, ride a "touring" scooter and carry it the same way, no probs.

I've also equipped mine with CTC grips. As far as I'm concerned, it's (been) a great value.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it's (been) a great value.
    Thats another good point... The value of the gun (got mine new for $420) + $90 for the Apex kit, is extremely good. Even without the Apex kit, its a good gun and a REALLY good value. Pardon the intended, but bad, pun... but its extremely good bang for the buck IMO.

I have owned and carried the M&P40c. The M&P series has (IMO) the best ergonomics of any handgun ever made. It also has (IMO) the worst trigger of all the "modern polymer" pistols available. Yes, Yes, Yes, I know. Trigger is subjective. But to me it's bad. Gritty pull, and long reset. That doesn't make it a bad gun. Just means that it wasn't a good fit for me.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    The M&P series are excellent. If you are worried about the trigger, just go Apex and call it a day.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My M&P40c is my EDC. I have a storm lake 357 sig barrel for it & a CT laser as well.
    The two holsters I use most for it are Minotaur M-TAC and a Milt Sparks VM2. It EASILY conceals in business casual attire with oxford shirt tucked in.

The trigger is a clean break after a short break in. I have never had a FTF, FTE, or anything of the like in several thousand rounds of 40 and 357sig. Give the trigger a chance. It took me a little getting used to but once I got used to it the only trigger I like more is my 1911.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links