ITCH - Page 5

ITCH

This is a discussion on ITCH within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the G19 but then again I am a 9mm guy. Every gun I own is a 9. If I had the cash I ...

View Poll Results: What is the next buy

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • G27

6 7.59%
  • G19

55 69.62%
  • G30

18 22.78%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: ITCH

PM
    I like the G19 but then again I am a 9mm guy. Every gun I own is a 9. If I had the cash I might buy a G19.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I own the G30, and the 10mm conversion. I have shot upwards of 1000 rounds of 10mm through my G30. The guide rod and recoil spring assembly from the G29 and 30 is the same from the factory. No need to change them. And the ejector and extractor have functioned flawlessly so far cycling the 10mm caseings. I'm verry happy with my setup.

Also I own the G27,23,and 22, and have the 9mm conversion barrel and the .357 sig for all three. I have thousands of 9mm rounds through my G27,23,and 22. Again have not changed a recoil spring, ejector or extractor.

Guide rods for the G26,27,and 33.
    G 19,23,32
    G 17, 22, 31 are the same from the factory. I don't have time to do it now, but I will post links later tonight to verify this for you.

I am speaking for gen 2 and 3 only. I will have to verify if this applies to Gen 4 Glocks.
    UPDATE:

Here are some links to verify the above statements.

Springs for GLOCK Semi-Auto Pistols

This is a good table to see.
    GLOCK RECOIL SPRINGS
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

OP - If you do not already have a long gun of some sort, then I would indeed recommend one over another pistol.

I usually recommend starting with the most likely threat (close in), which you have covered with your pistol. Next is in-home defense, which IMHO is where the shotgun excels - when you absolutely need to stop a home invader from getting into your safe room, nothing beats a load of buckshot.

Then, take a look at your neighborhood. Use Google maps, and look up your address, using the aerial view. What is the longest shot you would need to take in the event of civil unrest? If the farthest you can see is about 100 yards or so, you will be well defended with your shotgun, running slugs. If you can see further than that, you may wish to add a rifle or carbine of some sort. If there are other homes in the area, an optic (scope) is a nice addition for both accuracy and helping to identify threat/no threat situations (is that guy approaching carrying a handgun? or just a cell phone?).

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - If you do not already have a long gun of some sort, then I would indeed recommend one over another pistol.

I usually recommend starting with the most likely threat (close in), which you have covered with your pistol. Next is in-home defense, which IMHO is where the shotgun excels - when you absolutely need to stop a home invader from getting into your safe room, nothing beats a load of buckshot.

Then, take a look at your neighborhood. Use Google maps, and look up your address, using the aerial view. What is the longest shot you would need to take in the event of civil unrest? If the farthest you can see is about 100 yards or so, you will be well defended with your shotgun, running slugs. If you can see further than that, you may wish to add a rifle or carbine of some sort. If there are other homes in the area, an optic (scope) is a nice addition for both accuracy and helping to identify threat/no threat situations (is that guy approaching carrying a handgun? or just a cell phone?).

Hope this helps!
    First gun I bought was a "home defense" style shot gun. Got some fancy dancy shells for it. I got the pistols covered. So I agree with you that now I am looking for an AK or SK for close rifle coverage. Sure I would love an AR but the cask isn't there. I have a scoped .22 that could take out Zombie Squirls if need be......
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    UPDATE:

Here are some links to verify the above statements.

Springs for GLOCK Semi-Auto Pistols

This is a good table to see.
    GLOCK RECOIL SPRINGS
    Bookmarked and noted for when I get to it. Who would have thought a tread trying to help me choose between handguns would convince me to get a rifle?!?!?
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Bookmarked and noted for when I get to it. Who would have thought a tread trying to help me choose between handguns would convince me to get a rifle?!?!?
    like I said in my post............you started it
    Justified likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    like I said in my post............you started it
    Answers are best found when not in search of them
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    lol
    well I hope we've helped you (and continue to do so)
    Justified likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Not sure if you want to run a scope on your rifle, but if you do, the SKS and AK will take some mods to do so properly.

I recently got a new package Marlin 336 lever rifle in .30-30, that came with a scope and sling, for under $500. It will do everything a civilian needs to do for self defense. My only mod was an elastic butt cuff for an extra 10 rounds on board the gun. I'm not one of those who think a civilian needs 30 round mags in a rifle for self defense (no offense to those who think they do).

Another option that is a bit less than most ARs is the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle - it comes with scope rings.

And another option is a bolt rifle, though most do not have iron sights (which is a must, to me, in a defensive rifle - as a back-up to your optic). Moisin Nagants are pretty cheap...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Not sure if you want to run a scope on your rifle, but if you do, the SKS and AK will take some mods to do so properly.

I recently got a new package Marlin 336 lever rifle in .30-30, that came with a scope and sling, for under $500. It will do everything a civilian needs to do for self defense. My only mod was an elastic butt cuff for an extra 10 rounds on board the gun. I'm not one of those who think a civilian needs 30 round mags in a rifle for self defense (no offense to those who think they do).

Another option that is a bit less than most ARs is the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle - it comes with scope rings.

And another option is a bolt rifle, though most do not have iron sights (which is a must, to me, in a defensive rifle - as a back-up to your optic). Moisin Nagants are pretty cheap...
    Good stuff. I will to look these guns up when I get back from camping.
    - George Orwell Military

Glock 19 if you ask me. Thats my next handgun to get. Now as far as rifles go, I will one future day purchase an AR of some sort. But that will be a day in the not so near future.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Glock 19 if you ask me. Thats my next handgun to get. Now as far as rifles go, I will one future day purchase an AR of some sort. But that will be a day in the not so near future.
    Curious as to your reasoning for waiting on the AR? My dilemma is I have to drive about an hour and a half round trip to get to a good outdoor range. I wish I had property I could shoot on closer, o have a shotgun that sees little action.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    OK, so I got the "I NEED to buy another Glock" itch. So I am trying to justify it some how. So should I go with a 27 or a 19?

The 27 would be nice because I don't have a .40 anymore and the 27 could be a carry piece and I wouldn't have to get a new holster.

The 19 would be nice because every 26 could use a big brother to share ammo and mags with. Would be a bit big for me to carry but I'm sure I would try from time to time.

And then there is the 30 but my Kimber takes care of the .45 but it would be nice to have one of those as well.

Thoughts?
    I use a G19 for many years, good all around weapon (size, weight, power)... but now i carry a G36 or G29.

Find Me In The Firearms Group

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I chose the Glock 19 since you already have the little brother (G26) which is in the same platform and caliber, so you can share mags and ammo. Plus, you are already used to this caliber. Later on, you can get the Glock 27 and Glock 30.
    Justified likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I am liking the look of this Ruger mini-14:
    Ruger® Mini-14® Tactical Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models
    It is about 1/2 lb heavier but I like the collapsing stcok and rails. Not sure about the lever action on the Marlin but I am sure with practice I might be able to keep it on target and pop that lever.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links