ITCH - Page 6

ITCH

This is a discussion on ITCH within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, here you go. I promised Ryan that I'd run some different 9x19 ammo through a Glock 19 and a Glock 26, side by side, ...

View Poll Results: What is the next buy

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • G27

6 7.59%
  • G19

55 69.62%
  • G30

18 22.78%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: ITCH

Well, here you go. I promised Ryan that I'd run some different 9x19 ammo through a Glock 19 and a Glock 26, side by side, to see the velocity differences between them. The 19 is a fairly early one, without the abominable finger grooves and with an "HD" serial number prefix. The 26 was probably made in about the second or third year of 26 production. Neither gun was squeaky clean when I began shooting, but not filthy, either. Both guns functioned flawlessly, not surprisingly. All these were shot late Saturday afternoon, over my CED M2, with the front screen about 10 feet from the muzzle. Ambient and ammo temp was about 97 deg. F. All numbers here are averages of three shots. I have the other statistics, but won't bother posting them unless someone wants them. All ES numbers were quite small, with no "flyers," so I didn't bother with SDs here. SDs don't have a lot of meaning with a 3-shot sample size, anyway.

Cor-Bon 115 gr. JHP +P: G19- 1299 fps. G26- 1267 fps.
    Federal 124gr. HS +P+: G19- 1170 fps. G26- 1137 fps.
    Speer 124gr. GD +P: G19- 1222 fps. G26- 1186 fps.
    WW RA9TA 127gr. +P+: G19- 1208 fps. G26- 1179 fps.
    Double Tap 147gr. GD +P: G19- 1029 fps. G26- 963 fps.

Rather small velocity losses, I'd say. Insignificant to one being shot with either gun, probably. The only one for which the velocity loss in the 26 might matter would be the 147gr. load, since expansion gets more iffy below 1000 fps.

You'll note that the Speer +P 124 is faster than the Federal +P+, which might surprise some folks, but I've seen the phenomenon many times. "+P+" doesn't guarantee blistering velocities.

FWIW, the Cor-Bon load gets about 1425fps. in all three of my Browning Hi-Powers.
    Justified likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Curious as to your reasoning for waiting on the AR? My dilemma is I have to drive about an hour and a half round trip to get to a good outdoor range. I wish I had property I could shoot on closer, o have a shotgun that sees little action.
    Well, like you getting to a range that I can shoot an AR is a bit of a drive(not as long as your trek though). Nothing like the feeling of having a new toy and can't play with it!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    lol
    well I hope we've helped you (and continue to do so)
    Certainly
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Well, here you go. I promised Ryan that I'd run some different 9x19 ammo through a Glock 19 and a Glock 26, side by side, to see the velocity differences between them. The 19 is a fairly early one, without the abominable finger grooves and with an "HD" serial number prefix. The 26 was probably made in about the second or third year of 26 production. Neither gun was squeaky clean when I began shooting, but not filthy, either. Both guns functioned flawlessly, not surprisingly. All these were shot late Saturday afternoon, over my CED M2, with the front screen about 10 feet from the muzzle. Ambient and ammo temp was about 97 deg. F. All numbers here are averages of three shots. I have the other statistics, but won't bother posting them unless someone wants them. All ES numbers were quite small, with no "flyers," so I didn't bother with SDs here. SDs don't have a lot of meaning with a 3-shot sample size, anyway.

Cor-Bon 115 gr. JHP +P: G19- 1299 fps. G26- 1267 fps.
    Federal 124gr. HS +P+: G19- 1170 fps. G26- 1137 fps.
    Speer 124gr. GD +P: G19- 1222 fps. G26- 1186 fps.
    WW RA9TA 127gr. +P+: G19- 1208 fps. G26- 1179 fps.
    Double Tap 147gr. GD +P: G19- 1029 fps. G26- 963 fps.

Rather small velocity losses, I'd say. Insignificant to one being shot with either gun, probably. The only one for which the velocity loss in the 26 might matter would be the 147gr. load, since expansion gets more iffy below 1000 fps.

You'll note that the Speer +P 124 is faster than the Federal +P+, which might surprise some folks, but I've seen the phenomenon many times. "+P+" doesn't guarantee blistering velocities.

FWIW, the Cor-Bon load gets about 1425fps. in all three of my Browning Hi-Powers.
    Thanks for the stellar report!!! Glad I have a box of the gold dots in the safe. I will have to go shoot the federals at the range today along with the typical WWB.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links