Striker Fired vs. Hammer Fired

This is a discussion on Striker Fired vs. Hammer Fired within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a new shooter. I've learned on and practiced with a Colt 1911-22. I have some upcoming classes that require a 'modern defensive handgun'. I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Striker Fired vs. Hammer Fired

I'm a new shooter. I've learned on and practiced with a Colt 1911-22. I have some upcoming classes that require a 'modern defensive handgun'. I'm a leftie and I've narrowed it down to two very different pistols. The M&P and the HKP30. I've shot the P30 and tonight I'm shooting the M&P. I really liked the P30. It was accurate and felt great in my hand.

I can wrap my head around how the available safety features work for a hammer fired pistol. Chamber a round, decock, safety on. At least for the P30 there is also the first DA trigger pull. Seems safe enough for me.

What I can't figure out is the safety features for a striker fired pistol, namely the M&P, especially if there isn't a safety. I'm sure that my lack of knowledge figures greatly into this equation, but on the M&P if you chamber a round (if there isn't a safety), other than being mindful, what is to keep it from going off? It just seems there isn't a buffer there. It seems that mostly people don't want a safety. Why is that? Since the trigger pull is all the same you don't even have that DA trigger to fall back on. How is that different than carrying a 1911 in Condition 0?

I know training is key to learning how to operate either type of handgun. Am I missing something on the striker fired pistol?

Thanks

Most striker-fired pistols have at least one internal safety like a drop safety. Not sure about the mechanical details of the M&P polymers so someone else will have to chip in. Most have a trigger safety like a flange (Glock, XD) or in the case of M&P's a hinged trigger thingy. I hardly consider these trigger safeties to be safeties at all. The real safety is your brain. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE ON TARGET AND READY TO FIRE. That will serve you well with striker fire, DA, SA, what have you.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Well, an M&P does have 2 safeties, a trigger safety and an internal block that prevents the striker from going forward unless the trigger is pulled. Both of these are disengaged by pulling the trigger. Striker fired pistols in my experience have a longer take up along with more creep than most hammer fired firearms, this results in a longer spongier feel to the trigger and requires a little more deliberate action (not nessisarily heavier pull) than a hammer fired weapon. Your safety is in general, keep your finger off the trigger, same as any firearm. Welcome by the way I'm relatively new here myself.

Oh forgot to add, a lot of folks don't want external safeties on their polymer pistols. Flicking off a safety lever like on a 1911 is just one more thing to do. Their mechanical designs still allow them to be perfectly safe at rest from drop or impact, with all safeties being deactivated with proper firing grip and the deliberate pull of the trigger. It really comes down to what you're comfortable with.
    357and40 likes this.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A proper holster, good consistent practice, and following the 4 basic rules of firearms safety. Myself, I like the M&P platform more than anything else I've fired.

Sent from my ZTF Com1 Device using Tapatalk.
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

twc
    you can get a manual safety on the m&p fyi.

The M&P and P30 actually have very similar options when it comes to safeties. Both have a decent amount of pretravel before the sear is engaged (assuming DA or LEM trigger on the P30), with the hinge trigger safety on the M&P taking teh place of the weight required for a DA pull with the P30, and require the trigger to move a certain distance before disengaging a striker of firing pin block. Both are available with manual safeties. Having owned both and carried both, I slightly prefer the P30 overall and vastly prefer it for the way I carry. The M&P is excellent from and ergonomics standpoint, but the P30 leaves it in the dust. The grip is has 27 possible sizes, the controls are truly ambidextrous without requiring switching parts to a different side, and the paddle style mag release is superior to the button style found on most guns. In addition, the P30 has several options for triggers and safeties. Lastly, the P30 is one of the most durable pistols in existence, with the first scheduled part replacement coming at 25,000 rounds vs 5,000 for the M&P.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

One other aspect of safety that hasent been mentioned yet is that on a hammer fired weapon the hammer is external. This is nice because when holstering the gun you have a visual/touchable way to know that gun wont be firing. My Sig 229 is DA/SA. I carry with the first shot DA, so when I holster I can ride the hammer down with my thumb and know if the trigger snags.

It shouldn't be happening if you have good/properly maintained gear, but we don't train for what "should" happen.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have both types (HK USP Compact and Walther P99AS) and they are both equally safe and reliable. Nonetheless, I don't use the safety on my HK USP Compact since I carry it with a round in the chamber and in DA/SA mode. The most important safety that any gun can have is your brain. Follow the vital rules of firearm handling and keep your finger OUT of the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanimal View Post
    One other aspect of safety that hasent been mentioned yet is that on a hammer fired weapon the hammer is external. This is nice because when holstering the gun you have a visual/touchable way to know that gun wont be firing. My Sig 229 is DA/SA. I carry with the first shot DA, so when I holster I can ride the hammer down with my thumb and know if the trigger snags.

It shouldn't be happening if you have good/properly maintained gear, but we don't train for what "should" happen.
    Thanks for bringing this up.

This is the exact reason I strongly prefer the P30. I carry at 1:00, and that means holstering involves pointing the muzzle at my femoral artery or my testicles. I like both of those body parts intact. Being able to control a hammer, either decocked or cocked give a much wider margin of safety than even a manual safety.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. They have really been helpful.

At the time I originally posted I had not fired the M&P. Well I did today and the P30 wins hands down. The P30 felt better in my hand, shoots more accurately for me and I like the trigger better even though it is DA/SA. i don't see me having any issues with the first DA pull as long as I train that way.

I really wanted to like the M&P as there are multiple sizes and there is even a .22lr coming out that I can use to practice with. I really thought it would be easier (softer) for me to shoot since the barrel was longer, but it wasn't. Just goes to show you size isn't everything :)

Now I have to decide which variant to get and whether to get a safety or not. I think I'll opt for the safety and V3. I think finding a P30 in anything other than variant 3 will be difficult anyway, so I don't have to worry about that decision.

Don't worry, you can still buy the M&P!

BigJon

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Heckler & Koch P30 is an outstanding weapon. FANTASTIC CHOICE!!! Welcome to the H&K Club!!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by jeepgal1961 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies. They have really been helpful.

At the time I originally posted I had not fired the M&P. Well I did today and the P30 wins hands down. The P30 felt better in my hand, shoots more accurately for me and I like the trigger better even though it is DA/SA. i don't see me having any issues with the first DA pull as long as I train that way.

I really wanted to like the M&P as there are multiple sizes and there is even a .22lr coming out that I can use to practice with. I really thought it would be easier (softer) for me to shoot since the barrel was longer, but it wasn't. Just goes to show you size isn't everything :)

Now I have to decide which variant to get and whether to get a safety or not. I think I'll opt for the safety and V3. I think finding a P30 in anything other than variant 3 will be difficult anyway, so I don't have to worry about that decision.
    If you're interested in LEM, check Cross Creek Guns. That's where I purchased my P30S V3. $850 shipped is a good price, and he has the best price on mags I've seen at $36 shipped.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    The Heckler & Koch P30 is an outstanding weapon. FANTASTIC CHOICE!!! Welcome to the H&K Club!!!!!
    It's nice and well built, but there are better options for CC. While the P30 is great and I would call it a go to war option. The P 30 a bit big, heavy and bulky to carry everyday. I would consider it more of a duty gun.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links