K frame airweight

K frame airweight

This is a discussion on K frame airweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you guys and gals have a S&W Model 12 Airweight K frame? I will be picking mine up on thursday. It has ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AKsrule

Thread: K frame airweight

K frame airweight

Do any of you guys and gals have a S&W Model 12 Airweight K frame? I will be picking mine up on thursday. It has the 2 inch barrel so it should be great for conceal carry.I have a Theis IWB holster also on the way. I can't wait to start carrying it daily. I will post pics when I get the chance.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

My wife has the 12-3. Her dad gave it to her. If she carries it, it is usually in a fanny pack.
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

I'm going to show my stupidity. What the heck is a k frame?

I do have and carry a S&W 38 Special Airweight 2" barrel. Its always coll to use after burning some ammo through the Glocks.

Currently I only carry my 38 around my ankle as a back up but I am always looking for new creative ways to carry. I haven't found a good pocket holster for her, so if anyone knows of some I'd love to hear about'em.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Its a mid sized 6 shot frame revolver Think model 10 just way lighter.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I'm going to show my stupidity. What the heck is a k frame?

I do have and carry a S&W 38 Special Airweight 2" barrel. Its always coll to use after burning some ammo through the Glocks.

Currently I only carry my 38 around my ankle as a back up but I am always looking for new creative ways to carry. I haven't found a good pocket holster for her, so if anyone knows of some I'd love to hear about'em.
    "Remora" holster...Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster Best pocket holster available and GREAT customer service from Alan.

...and for "ConcealedG30" ...actually the Model 10 was a "K" frame.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Here is Mine....

I think 6 rounds of ammo weighs almost as much as the gun
    bmcgilvray and gasmitty like this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    The model 12 is a great wheelgun.

Be advised that if you're going to change the grips, do your research before you lay down your hard earned $.

The backstrap below the hammer is narrower than on their steel framed models.

I found this out the hard way AFTER I bought a set of wood Hogues for it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The Model 12s were always a hoot to pick up at the gun shops or gun shows. For someone accustomed to common steel K-Frames they felt as if they'd been filled with helium and were about to float away; they were so light for their size. I never thought much of them while they were still cataloged but now I'd love to have an example.

AKsrule's Model 12 snub is one good lookin' revolver!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

FYI... one of the reasons S&W discontinued these was the fact that, when shot a lot, they tend to crack the frame around the forcing cone.

When I contacted Springfield, several years ago, about putting a 3" barrel on mine, I was advised that they won't even work on the M-12 any more.

A neat carry revolver; but I would limit my shooting to standard pressure .38s... and not much of that.

Here is a pic of mine. It is in great shape but I still have to wipe off my finger prints.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

[QUOTE=Stubborn;1991742]"Remora" holster...Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster Best pocket holster available and GREAT customer service from Alan.

Thanks for the tip on the "Remora" holster I believe I will be ordering one.

VIP Member
    Is the model 12 rated for +P? Better make sure... Great looking gun there...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I also own a model 12. Great gun. Ya gotta be carefull when buying one though... Although I've never seen a frame crack.. I have seen some frame stretch, and warping. These guns are NOT!!! rated for +p, and I'd stay away from lighter loadings on modern cartriges. These guns were made for comfortable carry. NOT! target shooting. If you want something for a range toy I'd strongly suggest the all steel version. Model 10 2" RB.

Links