Follow up Colt Gov Model report

This is a discussion on Follow up Colt Gov Model report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a couple of weeks of shooting my new Colt, a problem began to occur. It gave me early warnings, but I assumed it was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Follow up Colt Gov Model report

Follow up Colt Gov Model report

After a couple of weeks of shooting my new Colt, a problem began to occur. It gave me early warnings, but I assumed it was a break in issue and would correct itself. The problem was Failure to return to battery on the last or second to the last shot. The round would actually make it into the chamber, but the slide would stop just short of completing battery.

So, when I have an issue that I am not sure of, I do not hesitate to seek professional advice. Enter our own OD* and QKShooter. I shared with them my issues and suspicions of the culprit, and they helped me through the process. And for this I would like to give them public acknowledgment. I believe we are truly fortunate to have people here on this site so willing to help out. QKShooter even offered to buy back the product he recommended and , send me a part to try out. Both were timely, informative and truly a great representive of what we all should strive to be.

As it turned out, both were correct. Apparently the magazine springs that Colt had used in the mags were of bad quality, and were not strong enough to properly retain the cartridge in the lips of the magazine. The last round simply did not have enough spring tension against it to allow the extractor to make proper contact.

Taking the advice of OD* and QKShooter, I purchased the WILSON #47 mags with extra power springs. The pistol now feeds with no issues, and now after over 200 more rounds with no cleaning, it is feeding and extracting like crazy. I do not think I can get this pistol dirty enough to cause it to choke.

This pistol is a real honest to God 2 to 2 1/2 group gun at 25 yards. To say I am pleased would be an understatement.
    I would like to admit, that maybe I have been wrong about the 1911 pistol. Now that I have taken the time to learn a little about the platform, and make an effort to learn the gun, with a little routine maintenace, I believe I will have as much confidence in this gun as my Glocks. It is certainly proving it to me.

Colt was notified of the defective mags, and is shipping me new ones at no charge, no questions asked. I will use them for the range, and buy more Wilson mags for serious work.

My load of choice is the 230 fmj. It has been known to work.
    I finally have the most satisfying combination of gun and caliber. Me and the Rampant Pony; this could be the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship.

For anyone in the market looking for a simple, no frills 1911, I highly recommend looking at the Colt Goverment Model. Its the real deal, and I am already looking to buy another.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    One thing I will never understand about 90% of 1911 manufacturers is the often sub-par magazines shipped with their pistols...

OD*
    Thanks for the kind words, Gman, they're appreciated and I'm glad Colt took care of you. Now, look on the base of your Colt magazines, there should be a "C" in the upper right hand corner, the magazines are made by Checkmate. Colt hasn't made their own magazines in years and years, honestly, I don't know of any 1911 manufacturers today that produce their own magazines in house. Like I mentioned in the PMs, get you some extra power magazine springs from Wolff and your Checkmate magazines should work fine.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I would like to admit, that maybe I have been wrong about the 1911 pistol.
    Those of us believers in Saint John's classic 1911, turn and face east and genuflect. We may have another convert!

And kudos to Gman for keeping an open mind.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    One thing I will never understand about 90% of 1911 manufacturers is the often sub-par magazines shipped with their pistols...
    It has to be something to do with the makers getting bad wire stock, I've had 3 "new" 47Ds I've had to replace the springs in.

~ Tiger McKee

"This pistol is a real honest to God 2 to 2 1/2 group gun at 25 yards."

Now if I was only a 2 to 2 1/2-inch shooter at 25 yards.

Great report! Learned new stuff about magazines, springs, and producers from GMan and OD*.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Here ya go Gman.

The two on the left are made for Colt by Metalform (M in the corner), the two on the left are made for them by Checkmate (C in the corner). The S signifies stainless steel, the magazines with the shorter base plates are from the Colt Officers ACP model.

And this is a poor quality picture is of an OK Industries magazine made for Colt (O in the corner).

~ Tiger McKee

JD
    Administrator
    While on the topic of mags, avoid ones that look like this:

Cheap knock-offs.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The mags that come with 1911's I purchase are for range use, but for carry and SD I only go with Wilson magazines.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    While on the topic of mags, avoid ones that look like this:

Cheap knock-offs.
    God, that's not even a good counterfeit.

Another one to avoid are those with the G on the base plate, they're counterfeit too.

~ Tiger McKee

Honestly, when I bought my first Springfield 1911, I bought a whole bunch of the magazines off their "Loaded" coupon for cheap, and don't really recall having issues with any of them. Of course, for carry, I am using 47D's, but I carried with stock SA mags for a couple of years, and didn't have any issues that I recall, or maybe I am just getting old.

Glad you are happy with your purchase G-man, a well made 1911 is hard to beat in the handgun category.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I carry a CC XSE everyday and Wilson 47D mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad that you are happy with your 1911 now. When I bought my Kimber Custom Target II some years ago it was having some problems. Changing the mags to Wilsons fixed it right up. Since then it has been running perfectly, and this is with an external extractor.

All my 1911 mags are either 47D's, 47OX's, or other brand mags with Wilson springs and followers.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    G-man,

I have to whole heartily agree with you on QK, and OD as well as other folks on DC. They are just so helpful and knowledgeable about 1911's it's silly!

As far as the Colt mags, I have the checkmate ones and they have all been flawless. I actually laugh and say that they are first factory mags I have got with a 1911 that are worth a crap.

I am glad you like your Colt, mine have served me well and are dead nuts accurate.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Nice to hear you problem was solved. I'll never understand why they put weak springs in the mags of the great 1911 ....
    Since you were on the subject of 1911's. I visited my local gun shop today with the intentions of looking at a new Glock Gen 4, to maybe add to my carry gun fetish. After handling a few pistols .... I noticed a beautiful Sig Sauer Stainless 1911 Carry model. Not planning to spend that kind of money, I eventually gave in, and asked to look at the stainless beauty.
    Wow .... As I ran the slide back ...... this pistol was smooth as silk. (I currently have an Ed Brown 1911). I couldn't believe Sig could make such a great 1911 for the price, when compared to other 1911 brands. Now I know the others are overpriced.
    Great ..... now I have something else to sleep on.

Links