Alaskan at the range

This is a discussion on Alaskan at the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally took my .44 Ruger Alaskan to the range and I gotta say I was really surprised! Recoil was really not bad at all ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragman

Thread: Alaskan at the range

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Alaskan at the range

I finally took my .44 Ruger Alaskan to the range and I gotta say I was really surprised! Recoil was really not bad at all with the factory grips on this little beasty! First group was at head of my target @ 7 yards all 6 fired double action. Second grouping was fired at chest and fired singel action @ 20 yards. After around 50 rounds it tightened up a bit and I am fully comfortable with it as a carry or woods gun. I took pictures of my first and last targets to show how much tighter it got but I must have got them mixed up on my phone cuz the only pictures in email are two pictures of the same target. This gun really isn't overkill I don't think and it is a bunch of fun!
    Attached Images
    Danimal likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Stop a man sized bear or a bear sized man....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Nice Shooting. Always fun to try out new toys. BTW no such thing as overkill, dead is dead. But underkill is a bad situation.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I own a Ruger 44 that I purchased at Ft. Wainwright in 64. After getting over the initial shock of the noise, I found it to be a very faithful companion, and always re-assuring me, that it was right there, if I ever needed it.

Very nice. Can't remember if you re-load your own ammo or not. .44 mag, and .44 Special is a great reason to get into the hobby. Shooting .44 special through my Alaskan is a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Very nice. Can't remember if you re-load your own ammo or not. .44 mag, and .44 Special is a great reason to get into the hobby. Shooting .44 special through my Alaskan is a dream.
    I do reload for my target rifles, for pistols I go to my uncles he has a dillon press and we usually spend a weekend getting a few thousand rounds ready.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I do reload for my target rifles, for pistols I go to my uncles he has a dillon press and we usually spend a weekend getting a few thousand rounds ready.
    Very nice. Sounds like a great uncle to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Very nice. Sounds like a great uncle to have.
    Oh yea. Ex military, Ex corrections officer and now he is retired, but does the qualifying for the local police dept. He has given me many lessons that I could never completely repay him for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Oh yea. Ex military, Ex corrections officer and now he is retired, but does the qualifying for the local police dept. He has given me many lessons that I could never completely repay him for.
    Lucky, my ucle is ex military, ex CO, but he lost a bit of his mind in the process. Its too bad because I am sure he would be a wealth of knowlege as well.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

cmb
    congrats on the 44, I love the 357 mag i have and hope to one have a 44 mag and the ruger alskan has always had my eye... the noise is rough and sheer force of the 357 is just awesome the 44 must be a step up

I hope you enjoy that great revolver...

Have an itch to find the super duper snubby thread because that is the definition of super duper snubby!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

GM
    Well done! I am glad you enjoy it. I just wonder how you are going to conceal it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Well done! I am glad you enjoy it. I just wonder how you are going to conceal it
    I am a good size person. hahaha. A really good holster and the right close I do believe will hide it just enough.

I got some 250 grain partition gold winchester I am gonna put through her. I wanna see what they do through my chrono.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Awesome, Glad to hear that you like it. I have always wanted one. And... in my opinion, if it will stop a bear then it will stop a man.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Links