Help me pick a pocket gun..

This is a discussion on Help me pick a pocket gun.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have done plenty of searching and looking at the comparisons, but the gun shops I have local never have anything in stock. I am ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help me pick a pocket gun..

I have done plenty of searching and looking at the comparisons, but the gun shops I have local never have anything in stock. I am looking at the cm9 but do not know how 'pocketable' this little gun truly is. I am a big man... trapped inside a 3rd graders body. At 5'6" and 145lbs, if I wear anything that fits, most guns stick out like a sore thumb, hence my want for a true pocket gun. I am not going to dress around my gun. If I buy a whole new (looser fitting) wardrobe just to be able to carry, that would be as noticeable as OC to me. I would love to stay with 9mm, but if I have to go down to .38 or even .380 I will. LCP / p3at both fit fine of course, but is there anything with a little more bang. Budget would be roughly $500 give or take. I currently carry a Para Carry 9, so it would have to be substantially smaller than it. I have looked at the little Sig p238, and have no issue with that platform, kind of prefer the 1911 style guns, but just wanted to know if there was anything out there that I have not been looking at.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

IMG_0449.jpg
    Keltec PF-9 works like a champ and the money is right! No malfunctions or issues here.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I won't argue with you about calibers or ballistics but here's a couple pointers.

If you plan on Pocket Carry - USE A POCKET HOLSTER.

Size is more important than weight , 4 or 5 ounces extra isn't as bad as something that makes a LUMP in your pocket.

If you buy a New gun strictly for this purpose shoot something similar to it before you buy it.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

give the Ruger LC9 a try, and the LCP is the gun that can go anywhere unnoticeable.
    orangevol likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I won't argue with you about calibers or ballistics but here's a couple pointers.

If you plan on Pocket Carry - USE A POCKET HOLSTER.

Size is more important than weight , 4 or 5 ounces extra isn't as bad as something that makes a LUMP in your pocket.

If you buy a New gun strictly for this purpose shoot something similar to it before you buy it.

I agree entirely with everything you said.. It will of course ride in a holster, in my pocket.. And I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets usually, so the weight would not be a big concern (within reason).. I would just have to find another place to stow my other wares while a pistol was occupying that space.. Basically just looking for options on different models that I may have overlooked..

Thanks for the replies thus far.. keep them coming..

I own and LCP and it has worked fine for me. I would also look at the Seecamp .380 or an NAA if i was doing it all over again. I have a Colt Mustang, but I personally do not prefer it for pocket carry. I prefer a DAO for pocket carry in a good holster (as you already know).

Kel Tec 9mm .380 .32 all are great pocket arms I have all 3 they have been flawless so far .

I have not really pocket carrired the 9mm Kel - Tec.

I really like the new diamond back 9mm not much bigger than the Kel Tec or Ruger .380 check it out

I love my Smith & Wesson 360 in 357 magnum. It VERY easily conceals in dress slacks in an Uncle Mikes #3 or #4 pocket holster. I ankle carry it in a Desantis rig and IWB in a Desantis Tuck this 2. It weighs 13 ounces and can hold anything from 38 special to 38+p to 38+p+ to 357 magnum. With 357 it is definitely a handfull but with 38, I would not hesitate to run 100 rds through it in one sitting.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

cmb
    I am 6' 205 and I cannot carry the the PF9 in my pocket... I do however carry a P32 and occasionally my jfame (though the buldge of the cylinder is noticeble to me... Sig has a 9mm similar to the kahr but more $$, I to would love a pocketable 9mm but i just can't find one which fits my pocket... The 380's are brutal and during the great ammo drought I was glad I didn't have one of those, eventhough I could always find some 380... if you want 9mm to keep ammo similarity or something with your other guns and the j frame works for you look for a 9mm in a j frame, i am not sure if anyone makes them in current production but you may be able to find a use one... course for the ballistics 38 +p is good too...

Only other note I would offer is to designate your pocket for gun only nothing else, I wear cargos to give me room for the other stuff!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Kahr CM9

Its my next pistol
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I'm about your same size.

I tried the LCP for pocket carry, using a Nemesis pocket holster. But, it was unreliable for me so I went with a S&W 442, instead.

It conceals just as well, I can get a better grip, it's more reliable, and I have more ammo options; i.e. bullet weights, etc.

It rides in a Mika pocket holster.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

First I personally wouldny want anything SAO in my pocket. Thats just personal preference I guess. In the auto side I would look at the Kahr P380. One of the few besides the P238 thats has actual sights.

Me personally though you cant go wrong with a good S&W J-frame in .38 +p or .357. I have an M&P 340 and love it. The 357 does have quite a bite but If I had to stick with 38 it would be a 442. Buy an inexpensive Desantis nemesis or a Mika pocket holster and you are good to go.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

highly recommend the Ruger lcp for pocket carry,if you want to stay in 9mm,kel tec pf 9 is very light/slim at a very affordable price.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The Ruger LCP is a nice choice for pocket carry. Read more here to get a better understanding.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links