Could you please help me pick a 1911

This is a discussion on Could you please help me pick a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a Glock 23 and Kahr P9 as well as an LCP. I figure it is time for a 1911. I used to own ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you please help me pick a 1911

I own a Glock 23 and Kahr P9 as well as an LCP. I figure it is time for a 1911. I used to own a CDP Pro II but the longer grip didn't help me with ccw. Prefer night sights. What are good commanders that wont break the bank..ie less than $1000. Thanks.

What part of Texas do you live at? If you live near Houston I would check these guys out as I bought a nice Colt Commander 45 for less than $850.00

Bayou Bend Gunshop
    200 Bayou Bend LN.
    Cleveland, TX 77327
    281-592-5158

I'm not a 1911 expert by any means, but I really like my SA Lightweight Champion Operator. Depending on where you shop, it appears to be in your price range.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Colt Commander 1991 should fit your criteria. Since you already have a Glock, I doubt the plastic MSH and Trigger would bother you--I've never had any trouble and they make a difference in weight. (Fairly cheap to replace if you just can't live with 2 plastic parts). Everyone should own at least ONE Colt! They tend to hold value better than the other makes, and they just have a mystic about them that cannot be duplicated.

SA Champions are great too, but just don't feel quite the same. Mine isn't quite as accurate as the Colts I have, but it's a great gun, with a few more "features" if that matters to you.

As far as I'm concerned, in the NEW handgun market, (Not talking Used here).....in the $600 to $900 price range, Colt and Springfield are about the only way to go. If Ruger were to have a Commander, I might explore them. But that's just my opinion. Most of the others, (Like Taurus)....I guess I would pass on, and just go to the lower priced level with a RIA and save some money. I realize that's not quite fair, but just how I feel. If Smith and Wessons were $100 cheaper, they'd be a strong contender.

If Kimber would quit putting 5 full page ads in every single gun mag out there, take that savings and lower their prices by $200/gun, you'd have another strong contender.

I'm turning into an opinionated old fart I guess.

Agree totally with the champion operator. This is one of the best out there.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    I own a Glock 23 and Kahr P9 as well as an LCP. I figure it is time for a 1911. I used to own a CDP Pro II but the longer grip didn't help me with ccw. Prefer night sights. What are good commanders that wont break the bank..ie less than $1000. Thanks.
    A Kimber CDP Pro II IS a Commander size... so if that's not concealable enough for you, then you don't want another Commander. In the Kimber line, the Compact CDP II has a Commander-length slide & barrel yet the shorter grip of the Officer's Model, but a new one is over your price limit. Some other 1911 manufacturers have at times produced the hybrid 4-inch slide on the Officer's Model frame, but I'm not sure who besides Kimber currently catalogs such a model.

The Springfield Ultra Compact has the short OM grip and a 3.5" barrel, although it's steel and 5 ounces heavier than the CDP Pro /Lightweight Commander.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Take a look at the new Smith & Wesson E Series, Springfield Armory and the new Ruger. You will get a very solid 1911 pistol for under $1,000 and will still have cash left over for sights, a quality holster and some defensive ammo.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Officer's length grip

Since you said that you don't like the grip length on a Kimber Pro, I think you should look at a short 1911 with an officer's length grip, such as the Kimber Ultra or Colt Defender. I have the Colt Defender and have been very happy with it from a reliability and concealment standpoint. If you use a canted belt holster at the 3:30 position the gun is highly concealable. The capacity of the gun is 7+1 rounds with the right magazine.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Springfield Loaded Champion and Sig 1911 C3 both fit what your looking for and fall within your price range. The Sig 1911 RCS also fits into what you want, but the price might push it out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Take a look at the new Smith & Wesson E Series, Springfield Armory and the new Ruger. You will get a very solid 1911 pistol for under $1,000 and will still have cash left over for sights, a quality holster and some defensive ammo.
    This is my best advise also..all excellent choices.

How are the new S&W E series regarding reliability? I may be able to swing up to $1200 if I found a gun I love. The SA loaded is a nice weapon. As for 3 inch 1911's who makes the most reliable?

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    There is a NIB COLT COMMANDER (stainless ) 100 yr. marked - for sale on Gunbroker RIGHT NOW.

FFL listing - Buy Price is $905
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'm a big fan of STIs (made in TX BTW). Take a look at the commander-sized STI Ranger II. I've been very happy with mine and you should be able to get one for a cash price of a bit over $900.0653.jpg
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

They are all good guns. But, might as well go ahead and get the Colt gor reasons already mentioned.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    COLT.....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links