Glock 17 Gen 4

This is a discussion on Glock 17 Gen 4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously thinking of picking one of these up. I have never owned a Glock. I do have an M&P, and it is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 4

Glock 17 Gen 4

I am seriously thinking of picking one of these up. I have never owned a Glock. I do have an M&P, and it is a fine gun. I can either get another M&P in 9mm, or I can get the Glock 17. Leaning towards the Glock. The M&P is a bit cheaper and has night sights. The Glock has a pretty good reputation. My M&P is headed back to S&W, as it seems the firing pin is a bit long. Cratering the primer, smashing the crater edges against the bolt face, and then shaving. Brass everywhere when I rip it and strip it. That is causing hesitation on getting another M&P. So I am thinking of getting a Glock. They feel OK in the hand, better than I remember. Anybody got one of these?

2. Remove Ads

I do not have any generation of the GLOCK 17. I do have a 3rd generation GLOCK 19 and 26. What are you using the pistol for? Range, home defense, concealed carry? If you're going to carry, I'd recommend the 19 or 26. I'd also recommend 3rd generation although it seems like they are getting the bugs worked out of the 4th generation. But bottom line, get yourself a GLOCK!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I don't have a 17. Bought a Gen4 G22 (just like the .40 better) after years of just not liking the "Glock feel." They improved the overall grip feel with the adjustable backstraps and newer finish. No problems with reliability. In fact, I personally don't know of a quality control issue with glocks - there must be, as many as there are in service. I'm an old Smith guy, too, but really feel good about Glock.

I cannot give you an objective opinion because I do not have a M&P. Personally, I own several Glocks. Including a Gen3 17 and a Gen3 19. As Joker said; if you want to carry I would recommend the 19. The size is just so much more conducive for carrying. I have tried to carry my 17 in my CB Supertuck and it works....but its a little big.

I have also heard there are bugs with the Gen 4 Glocks. But again, as Joker said. They are getting those worked out so you might be fine with a Gen 4. Glock on

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have a G23 Gen 4 and no problems whatsoever. I've read on forums about some problems with the Gen 4's but so far none with mine. It just keeps on going bang-bang-bang.

This would be for carry and competition. I don't mind a full size gun for carry. I carry a SIG 229 and an M&P OWB. This would be carried the same.

I prefer the M&P, especially with an Apex DCAEK, but shot just as well with my gen4 g17. Some gen 4 9mms still have extraction/ejection issues due to an extractor redesign that has been less than stellar.

Have you actually had a malfunction with your M&P? All of my pistols has had some brass shavings in them when new.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Ive never held a M&P. But I own a Gen 4 G22. It has been 100% reliable. The Gen 4 grip on the 22 and 17 is freakin SWEET. I dont think you would be dis-appointed.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I am seriously thinking of picking one of these up. I have never owned a Glock. I do have an M&P, and it is a fine gun.
    This article should interest you: pistol-training.com Blog Archive 25,000 Rounds with the G17 gen4

VIP Member
    I have several M&P's, Gen 3 Glocks, and now one G17 Gen 4. Here is my take on it.

Ergo's
    1. M&P
    2. Glock Gen 4
    3. Glock Gen 3 (would be lower if we had more guns on the list)

Reliability
    Gen 3, and M&P are a tie. So far the Gen 4 has me thinking it will be flawless as well. I have not had one failure in 300 rounds so far.

Trigger
    Glock

Magazine toughness and design
    Glock

Country of manufacture
    M&P USA

Customer Service
    M&P

Refinements
    M&P

Parts availability and add ons
    Glock

Weight and size to bullet capacity
    Glock (typically just edges out M&P)

Accuracy
    Draw

Softest shooting
    Gen 4
    M&P and Gen 3 are a tie

Finish
    Glock (even though my M&P look great)

Am I making this easier! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

G17 will be my next gun and Glock (EDC is a G27), I prefer the feel of the grip. Quite a few people look into the GSSF program, they've got one Glock per year deal that'll make it beat the M&P on price and you can compete indoor for the range fee, and in the outdor matches for a match fee, chances to win more Glocks, but really just a lot of fun pushing the time/accuracy. I am confident in and would trust the Gen4s at this point, it has been a long time since I've heard of a NIB Gen4 have an issue, and those that were an issue were usually traced back to Federal ammo, so if you're going to rely on it for SD test it with the ammo you plan to use, something I'd do anyways regardless of gun make or caliber. The Glock has fewer parts to break, better tolerances, and is designed to be put through hell then run flawlessly, if you like the ergonomics then I don't think you'll be disappointed in the slightest.

Glock Certified Armorer

I have a few glocks, including a gen3 and a gen4 17. I prefer the gen4 grip texture, mag release, interchangeable backstraps and have had no issues with my gen4.

The tip on joining gssf for the discount is good advice. I don't think you can get the discount as a new member in your first year unless you purchase a multi-year membership (I'm not sure, but you can look it up). Last time I checked the gssf price for a Glock 17 was $425 or $435...I think $425.

Good luck and all the best

J
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I chose an XDM myself over your 2 listed guns so not exactly your requested demographic but I'll try to be objective about this. I've had trigger time with both and between the M&P and the Glock I will say that that I would take the glock over the S&W any day of the week. now if it was between an M&P with the apex trigger and a gen4 glock I'd prolly go with the M&P. gen3 glock17 is probably the best pistol you can get for the price.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    I chose an XDM myself over your 2 listed guns so not exactly your requested demographic but I'll try to be objective about this. I've had trigger time with both and between the M&P and the Glock I will say that that I would take the glock over the S&W any day of the week. now if it was between an M&P with the apex trigger and a gen4 glock I'd prolly go with the M&P. gen3 glock17 is probably the best pistol you can get for the price.
    I have an XDM on top of the other two guns as well. The only reason I like the M&P and Glock better is the bore axis. They just sit lower for me.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

475 flawless rounds through this one.I have over 1000 flawless rounds through my Gen 4 26.The 17 is a beast on the reactive steel targets at the range I frequent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links