Paranoid about my gun... - Page 2

Paranoid about my gun...

This is a discussion on Paranoid about my gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by itschuck Hmmm..I don't think I have ever heard of a 229 having issues unless they were the fault of the shooter. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Paranoid about my gun...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Hmmm..I don't think I have ever heard of a 229 having issues unless they were the fault of the shooter. I have had zero problems with my 238 and 239.
    Count yourself lucky with that 238, those little guys have been pretty buggy from the get go.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well, I think the big reason for my paranoia is that this is one of my first guns. I had a Glock 23 for a while, but after shooting my uncle's P228, I fell in love with the SIG. I loved the ergonomics and I shot it better than the Glock as well. So, I ended up trading the Glock in for the SIG (they gave me a good deal). I do intend to get another Glock soon though (probably a 9mm this time though).

While I've handled guns for a while now, this SIG is one of the first guns I've actually personally owned and have had to personally maintain, so I guess I'm just not as well versed in what type of abuse guns can typically take as I should. The first gun I actually bought was a Glock 23 (not the one I traded for the SIG). That gun after the first few hundred rounds started giving me failure to feeds on every magazine. I took it to a few armorers who saw nothing wrong externally with the gun, and the store was nice enough to let me trade it in for a new Glock 23 at no cost (this is the one I ultimately traded for the SIG). We were able to determine that it was not due to limp wristing because I was able to shoot two other Glock 23s (one rental and the one I traded for) without a single problem. This probably is causing some of the paranoia as well - my first experience with a new gun was a bad one.

I appreciate the comments though and understand completely how ridiculously paranoid I am sounding - just need some perspective perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Your weapons should look and operate in "brand new" condition.
    Um, for someone who actually USES and CARRIES their firearm, it's never going to stay in "brand new" looking condition unless they get it refinished all the time. Even my Glocks show holster wear at the muzzle end from many, many practice draw/reholster sessions. And range use... And daily carry...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    Well, I think the big reason for my paranoia is that this is one of my first guns. I had a Glock 23 for a while, but after shooting my uncle's P228, I fell in love with the SIG. I loved the ergonomics and I shot it better than the Glock as well. So, I ended up trading the Glock in for the SIG (they gave me a good deal). I do intend to get another Glock soon though (probably a 9mm this time though).

While I've handled guns for a while now, this SIG is one of the first guns I've actually personally owned and have had to personally maintain, so I guess I'm just not as well versed in what type of abuse guns can typically take as I should. The first gun I actually bought was a Glock 23 (not the one I traded for the SIG). That gun after the first few hundred rounds started giving me failure to feeds on every magazine. I took it to a few armorers who saw nothing wrong externally with the gun, and the store was nice enough to let me trade it in for a new Glock 23 at no cost (this is the one I ultimately traded for the SIG). We were able to determine that it was not due to limp wristing because I was able to shoot two other Glock 23s (one rental and the one I traded for) without a single problem. This probably is causing some of the paranoia as well - my first experience with a new gun was a bad one.

I appreciate the comments though and understand completely how ridiculously paranoid I am sounding - just need some perspective perhaps.

I recommend that you do this to strengthen your grip. Then you can shoot a Glock. 8-)

Grip workout for shooters! YouTube
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Glocks have the rep of being flawless, yet you hear of recoil spring problems and extractor issues. My new M&P has a striker issue, and will go back to Smith after the annual shutdown. 1911s will not feed JHPs out of the box reliably (so you may hear). I have also heard of QC issues with SIG. However, the 229 E2 that I bought in April has not. I have nowhere near 700 rounds through mine, more like 100. And I carry it with total confidence. Pick a gun, any breed you like, pretend you bought it yesterday, and then search the Internet for problems with the gun you are pretending you just bought. You will find them. 700+ rounds? No failures? Listen to your gun, not the folks condemning it. You have an excellent weapon, just happens to be my favorite. If you are that stressed out about it (and you shouldn't be, as the gun has certainly proved itself), get a J frame for a BUG. No matter what other gun you may wish you had bought, that other gun has had issues. They ALL have.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I read your posting twice and could see no reason for you to fear the performance of your Sig. You said it has worked perfectly through 700 rounds. You didn't cite a bad experience with any other Sig. Why would you fear failure? It seems irrational.

I have 5 Sigs, including the model 229. I've never had a problem with any of them, and I like them because they are reliable, accurate and comfortable in my hand. I'm only cautious about guns that have failed me in some way, not those that have worked well.

I got one that looks exactly like that. I put 200 rounds of gold dot JHP's through it in one day of defensive shooting drills that included mag changes. ran the same 3 mags that I carry all day. Not one problem.

But, if you don't trust it then you don't trust it. But unless you give us more info it seems like the problem is between your ears and not the guns.

Boy, I wish I could tell you something absolute, but a gun can fail no matter what it is.

1. That many rounds, it should be reliable.

2. BUT, I had one gun that I had about 600 rounds in (Not a sig) that had shot flawlessly all of the time. I carried it often. Then I went out to the range one day to practice.... it would not fire but one shot at a time, and have to chamber the next round. I sent it to the Mfgr and they "fixed" all right, they sent me a entirely new gun except for the barrel. But, my confidence in the gun was zero, even though it's been shooting consistently now, I won't carry it.

After that, I began carrying my revolvers again much much much more often, and 2 other guns that I am totally confident in.

If it's not failing, you have a 90% chance it will be reliable when you need it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would suggest you never carry a Taurus....you will end up in therapy.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

OK...here goes.

Your gun will show wear on the rails---it's a fact of life.

Like any other firearm that gets used, eventually ALL guns will require servicing...usually the springs.

The first thing you will usually have problems with is the magazine--this is known for all semi-automatics.

Scratches aren't blemishes....the are reflections of character of the firearm. If you're going to wrap your gun in a diaper and leave it in the safe, sell it to someone who will use it.

If you want confidence in your gun, take a multi-day firearms course. You will put about 1000 rounds through your gun.

I also have a P229 in .40 S&W....and have about 13K rounds through it. How do I know? I have 13 empty ammo cans that held 1000 rds/each
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If you want confidence in your gun, take a multi-day firearms course. You will put about 1000 rounds through your gun.
    Good advice here and I highly recommend it as well. Plus, it's a lot of fun! I recently did a course at Gunsite and ran my Glock 19 HARD. Not one single issue...as expected... Yes, all guns can and will fail at some point but, as far as semi-autos to, Glock gives you the absolute best shot at "perfection" out of the box when it comes to reliability. That is just my personal opinion and experience over the years after owning many Glocks (and other brands as well) and purchasing my first one almost 20 years ago in 1993. Oh, and that would be the oldest Glock 19 I just used at that Gunsite course...

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Practice, practice, then practice some more - malfunction drills.

Do it static. Do it moving. Do it cowering behind cover as your instructor is yelling in your "ear." Do it in the rain or with snow on your hands. Do it with gloves.

Any situation you can see yourself in - and possibly even just imagine - do it.

Methinks you need to live with the SIG and get past this feeling. You're obsessing about phantom issues and the same phantom issues will arise again if you switch guns.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    Alright guys, so this is going to sound completely irrational and I know it is - hence me posting this thread.

So, a couple of months ago I purchased a NIB SIG P229R in 9mm (classic variant without the beavertail or anything fancy except for the rail).

I've got about 700 rounds through it without a malfunction.

One would think that I would be convinced of the gun's function, and logically, I know I should be, but for some reason, I always become paranoid every time I see a strange scratch, wear markings, a strange noise, or something out of the ordinary. Then, I go and shoot it, and it shoots flawlessly and accurately. It's an expensive gun and I love SIG design (like the looks and the way it fits my hand, DA/SA trigger is no problem to me and I shoot it well).

I think a lot of this may be due to hearing about SIG QC issues, which causes me to almost expect the gun to fail, which I know is unreasonable.

Perhaps some of you guys can put my mind to ease? Just how much abuse can these guns typically take without becoming basically unserviceable? I clean it every time I shoot it and lube it where it is recommended I do so. I also grease the rails.

Again, I know I'm paranoid. :(
    I have two Sigs, a .380 and a .45 ... both have performed flawlessly. Anything mechanical can malfunction, but I trust my Sigs.

I have a Sig P6 in 9mm and a Sig P229 in 40 (and a 357 sig barrel for it as well).

I have run about 5k rounds of 40 and about 500 rounds of 357sig through the 229 without a single issue. I bought it used so God knows how many rounds when through it before I got it.

The P6 is an old West German Police pistol made in April 1991. I have had a couple of FTF with it but was able to trace the issue back to the ammo.

Sig makes a good product. Glock and Smith & Wesson and Sig compete for market share everywhere. I would feel equally comfortable with any of the three as a defensive weapon.

All of the bug names have, at some point, had a QC issue. They learn from their mistakes and correct them & move on.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I think everyone is missing the point this gentleman is making.

He has an issue with 'paranoia' not with his HG. It's a temporary mental problem, similar to feeling unsafe in your own home if you have a robbery, or feeling like you can't drive in traffic after having a wreck. They seem irrational, but at the time, very real.

Just note the feelings and carry on normally, it will subside over time. Remember it's not about the HG, it's your irrational feelings which came from somewhere, so you're not nuts, just hypersensitive, or 'sensitized'.

HTH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links