Defensive Carry banner

Paranoid about my gun...

3K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  Guest1 
#1 ·
Alright guys, so this is going to sound completely irrational and I know it is - hence me posting this thread.

So, a couple of months ago I purchased a NIB SIG P229R in 9mm (classic variant without the beavertail or anything fancy except for the rail).

I've got about 700 rounds through it without a malfunction.

One would think that I would be convinced of the gun's function, and logically, I know I should be, but for some reason, I always become paranoid every time I see a strange scratch, wear markings, a strange noise, or something out of the ordinary. Then, I go and shoot it, and it shoots flawlessly and accurately. It's an expensive gun and I love SIG design (like the looks and the way it fits my hand, DA/SA trigger is no problem to me and I shoot it well).

I think a lot of this may be due to hearing about SIG QC issues, which causes me to almost expect the gun to fail, which I know is unreasonable.

Perhaps some of you guys can put my mind to ease? Just how much abuse can these guns typically take without becoming basically unserviceable? I clean it every time I shoot it and lube it where it is recommended I do so. I also grease the rails.

Again, I know I'm paranoid. :(

See less See more
#32 ·
I'd replace it with a Hi-Point, They go "BANG" every time! Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation.

I'm sure your gun is fine and will work for you for many years to come, BUT if you don't have any confidence in it, sell it and buy something you trust.

#34 ·
1. Navy SEALS trust their behinds with a SIG P226. Unless you are involved in some kind of Black Ops wetwork, you will more than likely never push the gun as hard as they do, daily. (That was meant to be sarcastic :smile:)

2. Not knowing your level of training/skill, learn malfunction drills until they are second nature. Any gun you carry could malfunction at some point. Your proficiency level will give you the confidence in your weapons system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.